Pre-Season, 2017,----------my take

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here we are about to close out our pre-season with the final game, (this one being of importance only for a handful of rookies and wannabe vets that are still vying for their places on BAs final 53 man roster). While that is extremely important to those on the bubble, most of our roster will not be playing, or playing very little if any at all, while the scrubs sort out the bottom of our bubble slots. That said, I want to take this opportunity to tell you how I feel about what has transpired this off-season.

Admittedly, we have lost some individual talent, that will not easily be replaced, due to allowing Calais Campbell to escape into free agency. I love what BA & SK have done in order to mitigate the loss of such an individual talent as Campbell. They have instead, reformed out D-line with lesser individual talents, but across the board greater depth, which seems to be working well with spelling each other, and keeping things fresh along the line. In addition they have created the spot for Nkemdechi to shine, and he has shown that unlike Campbell, he WILL NOT be getting to the ball carrier only to fail to make a wrap up tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage, which Campbell often did---(perhaps because of his great length), often allowing the ball carrier to escape his grasp and run out of the tackle. Nkemdechi loves that slot, and has taken huge advantage of it during this pre-season, (something which has also energized the rest of the Defense when they are on the field.

Additionally, BA & SK have attentatively addressed our OLB position with people who are setting a hard edge and turning the plays back inside where our D-line has been waiting to stop the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage. By maintaining this contain and turning the play back inside, our D-line and ILBs have been quick to snuff out much of what had escaped our defense last season. I believe that bodes well for this new upcoming season, and that we will be much more into field position rather than giving it away like we did frequently last year.

The changes made at safety and at cornerback have been very successful thus far, and with the Honey Badger returning to good health, and newbies like Budah Baker frothing at the mouth to get into games,
a new excitement has come to our secondary, along with greater depth and versatility. Justin Bethel has apparently solidified his position at #2 corner, and along with PP and decent back up for them, our secondary is not likely to be trifled with.

The biggest changes have come in the form of new faces and new willingness on the part of our special teams. The kicking game and the kick return teams have been very special indeed this off-season. While we are still not settled on a punter/holder, that may occur yet today with the news that we are looking to sign a well respected punter through a trade possibly as early as today. In any event, Special Teams does not appear to be the terrible unit that constantly gave away field position last season. That may be the biggest surprise of the entire camp------( with one exception ).

MOST SURPRISING of all, the great new trust and fondness that BA and Blaine Gabbert have established with each other, seems to be making way for the possibility of allowing for Carson Palmer's retirement, (which he almost did this year). The fact that both, Arians and Gabbert are enamored with what they are getting from each other, is tantalizing to say the least about the possibility of succeeding Carson Palmer, should he retire after this season. The fact that both BA and Blaine Gabbert have been on the scrap pile, and have both apparently taken the opportunity to turn that into gold, (just as BA did with his career when he thought it was over), is proving to light the way for this friendship and trust between the two to resurrect Gabbert's career as possibly our QBOF. They both seem to be very comfortable with each other, and both are very happy with what each sees from the other. That may be the most awesome thing coming from this entire off season. We shall see, and I am chomping at the bit to watch it happen, (just as it did when BA and SK began to resurrect this franchise when Michael brought them to the fore). This may be the PERFECT meeting of the minds, and the possibilities for the future may already be at work here with an entire season coming to allow time for this to mature into something awesome.

As for the Offense, John Brown does not seem to be so affected by his cycle cell anemia as he was last year, and seems to have come back strong once again as our !# receiver-------and we all know that Fitz is well--------- (FITZ). Britten Golden along with Jaron Brown appear to be the core of our passing offense with new help along with them.

Running backs appear solid again, and with Kerwin Williams returning punts and kicks, we appear to be far better off than we were last year at that position. He WANTS the job and has done well with it when he was called upon this off season. I foresee Will Penny being kept in the fray as a possible big back to line up with DJ when a lead blocker is needed.

Our O-line has been revamped, and while maybe not as individually talented as we had hoped for, may in fact be better from the new positions slated to take effect, in forming a deeper, if not as talented line
who ALL appear to be interested in contributing. Palmer and Stanton seem to be comfortable with each other, and the new emergence of Gabbert is certainly tantalizing to say the least.

Tight ends, while not flashy, appear to be three deep and also comfortable with the O-line and the QBs.

That about does it for me this off season-------------I am happy to be back posting again, and proud to be a Cardinals fan who is totally caught up in what has transpired during this off season. GO CARDS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn