Post-Preseason Game 3: RM's 53

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before I get to my 53, here we are after the third preseason game, and I feel the coaches have a good grasp on who they want where.

Injuries are part of the game. That is one thing that has to be said. This team has consistently been project between 6-10 and 10-6 since the end of last year. Is another. Keep that in mind as the Cardinals finish up the offseason. While, of course, injuries have made a HUGE impact to the offensive line, it has to a vastly lesser extent on the fringes of the roster.

Note: to pass all the B.S. - and just see the list, see the post below this one.

Quarterback:
Skelton, and Kolb are still fighting it out, but with a strong performance against the Titans, especially without Levi Brown on the line, Skelton earns the job for week 1 of the season. That's IMHO.

Ryan Lindley has shown enough that he will be our 3rd QB. Bartel is nothing that is going to hold a team together and his experience is not THAT valuable. He didn't play a snap against Oakland, which is very telling. If we even see Bartel again, it will be playing for his job against the Titans.

Levi-gate Conspiracy Theories: Kolb is packaged for a deal to get a LT.

QB - Final Roster:
John Skelton
Kevin Kolb
Ryan Lindley

Cut:
Richard Bartel

Running Back:
William Powell has played well, not only out of the backfield, but more importantly for the Cardinals on special teams. Alfonso Smith is very solid RB, that has shown he can handle playing in the NFL, and protect the ball. I think Powell's special team play gets him a roster spot.

RB - Final Roster:
Chris Wells
Ryan Williams
LaRod Stephens-Howling
William Powell

Cut:
Alfonso Smith
Javarris James
Thomas Clayton

Fullback:
Sherman has this sealed up. He just keeps improving. As for the backup TE, and/or 4th TE. I believe Jim Dray will keep this spot, even though I believe Steve Skelton gave him a good run for his money. Skelton, or M.Webb barely saw the field last week, if at all.

FB - Final Roster:
Anthony Sherman
Jim Dray

Cut:
Jared Crank
Reagan Maui'a
Steve Skelton
Martell Webb

Wide Receiver:
The Cardinals are about set here. With the injury to Levi Brown, they will keep 5 receivers. The battle that is still going on, in my opinion, is between DeMarco Sampson, and LaRon Byrd. Byrd missed a big opportunity when he missed out on the Oakland game. Sampson has a year under his belt so he has the edge right now, with the Cardinals probably thinking they can try to keep Byrd on the practice squad. It will come down to the last 2 games to see who gets the spot.

WR - Final Roster:
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Roberts
Early Doucet
Michael Floyd
[DeMarco Sampson/LaRon Byrd] <--- Edge to Sampson

Cut:
[LaRon Byrd/DeMarco Sampson]
Isaiah Williams
Stephen Williams
Gino Crump
Jaymar Johnson
Tre Gray

Tight End:
Yep.

TE - Final Roster:
Jeff King
Todd Heap
Rob Housler

Offensive Line:
Ugh. Can we start over? You know....go back to March ? Just.....Ugh. This is a mess. I am going to leave Levi Brown on the roster & leave a spot on the final 53 for a free agent possibility [UPDATE: Levi Brown is going on I.R.] Do the Cardinals carry 4 OT's into the season ? Even the guard positions don't seem to stable. There has to be a reason that Jeremy Bridges was tried out at RG. Even the backup center position is in quesiton, yet I have a feeling they are going to re-sign Ryan Bartholomew to the practice squad when he heals up from his injury, Bartholomew was waived once he got hurt, BTW.

As for LT, specifically the Cardinals are going to look at trades, free agents, and every player they have that has played OT on their roster. That would be Jeremy Bridges, DJ Young, D'Anthony Batiste, Nate Potter, Bobby Massie, and Senio Kelemete (was a LT in college).

It is easier to just list the battles that are going on:

LT (starting):
DJ Young vs. D'Anthony Batiste vs. Nate Potter vs. Jeremy Bridges

RT (starting):
D'Anthony Batiste vs. Bobby Massie vs. Jeremy Bridges vs. DJ Young vs. Nate Potter

RG (starting):
Adam Snyder vs. Jeremy Bridges vs. D'Anthony Batiste vs. Senio Kelemete

OC (backup):
Rich Ohrnberger vs. Scott Wedgie vs. Russ Hochstein vs. Adam Snyder*

Yep. It is a MESS! Looks like it too out on the field.

OL - Final Roster:

UPDATE: Levi Brown will be going on I.R.

LT:
DJ Young/Free Agent
DJ Young*
[----] <---- Could open a spot for Nate Potter, or Brandon Williams, OLB

RT:
D'Anthony Batiste
Jeremy Bridges
Bobby Massie

LG:
Daryn Colledge
Senio Kelemete

RG:
Adam Snyder

OC:
Lyle Sendlein

Cut:
Nate Potter (PS)
Russ Hochstein
Rich Ohrnberger (PS)
Scott Wedgie

Defensive Line:
Yes. Landon Cohen, Ronald Talley, and Ricky Lumpkin have played solid, and that is great..... for the practice squad.

DL - Final Roster:
Calais Campbell
Darnell Dockett
Dan Williams
David Carter
Nick Eason
Vonnie Holliday

Cut:
Ricky Lumpkin
Ronald Talley
Tevita Finau
Landon Cohen

Outside Linebacker:
O'Brien Schofield. The guy can rush the passer, and is "very good" at it. Yet, he gets lit up in the run game, and now his knee is giving him trouble. He is a depth player, not a starter. No worries the Cardinals have the players at OLB to be effective as a unit, IMO.

One hopes Reggie Walker's best game played, which was the last preseason game continues because he can be the guy that can backup Stewart Bradley if Bradley needs to play some OLB, while Lenon heals.

There is a good battle here between Quentin Groves, and Brandon Williams. While Groves has made some plays that draw attention, Brandon Williams has been solid as well. Nothing flashy but getting the job done. While I believe Groves (who is playing some special teams as well, BTW) has the edge, I do not believe he has locked it up. The door is still open for Brandon Williams, and that is it. I should also note, that with Lenon, and Schofield banged up, if Levi Brown goes on I.R. there is a chance Brandon Williams makes the final 53, as the last guy in.

OLB - Final Roster:
Sam Acho
Clark Haggans
O'Brien Schofield
[Quetin Groves/Brandon Williams]

Cut:
[Brandon Williams/Quetin Groves]
Everrette Thompson
Antonio Coleman
Zack Nash

Inside Linebacker:
Alright, lets talk about this. Here and now. Stewart Bradley, why did that S.O.B. have to do it this way? Go search Stewart Bradley on this board. I have been talking about this guy since he was a RFA for the Eagles. Being in the Philadelphia area, I have seen what we have all been watching this preseason before. 3 years ago in Philly the guy was a monster. He was the replacement that Philadelphia had been looking for to replace Jeremiah Trotter. A big, 6'4" 260lbs run stopping ILBer that can cover, and run your defense. This is what the Cardinals have been looking for at the SILB position. Thus why last year, I was crushed, and embarrassed to see him play the way he did. Fair enough, he gets a mulligan and I am back on the bandwagon. I just hope, hope, hope Bradley can keep this type of play going.

So, the 4th ILB'er spot is going to be a battle. Colin Parker (listed at 223lbs but he is bigger than that) has been played earlier and more often then Quan Sturdivant, but those two won't sniff the roster if Reggie Walker continues to play like he did in the Oakland game.

ILB - Final Roster:
Daryl Washington
Stewart Bradley
Paris Lenon
[Reggie Walker/Colin Parker/Quan Sturdivant]

Cut:
[Colin Parker/Reggie Walker]
Quan Sturdivant
Paul Vassallo
Marcus McGraw

Cornerback:
There is a good battle for the CB#2 spot. William Gay has the spot right now based strictly on experience. Jamell Flemming is the first man in from what I can see. Michael Adams has had a bad hamstring as the worse possible time for his career, and same goes for Greg Toler, not a good time for his knee to act up. With guys like Justin Bethel, LSH, and Williams Powell on the team Michael Adams value on ST is diminished. He is cut, IMHO.

But it doesn't stop there. You cannot discount Larry Parker and what he has shown, yet again, Parker is showing a lot but this is a stacked CB roster. I don't think Parker beats out Jefferson or Toler.

CB - Final Roster:
Patrick Peterson
William Gay
Jamell Flemming
Greg Toler
AJ Jefferson

Cut:
Michael Adams
Larry Parker (PS)
Marshay Green
James Nixon
Crezdon Butler

Safety:
As per Reggie Walker, I hope to see Rashad Johnson show he has enough to stay on a 53 man roster. In a much lesser extent, Johnson showed last game he, at least, knows what he is doing, and can make a tackle. As much as I like Blake Gideon, and Eddie Elder, I think Johnson has shown enough to beat them out, and justify where the coaches have played him during the preseason games, and how much time he has been out on the field.

Justin Bethel is in. Frank Sanders is in. That leaves Blake Gideon, and Eddie Elder on the outside looking it. Too bad, good potential there. And can we stop the silly talking about Kerry Rhodes not making the team ? Seriously ?

S - Final Roster:
Adrian Wilson
Kerry Rhodes
Frank Sanders
Rashad Johnson
Justin Bethel

Cut:
Eddie Elder
Blake Gideon

Special Teams:
One thing here. Can we stop the ridiculousness that is, "Take Patrick Peterson off punt return.". Uh, NO. Best offensive weapon we have until, we find a QB that consistently throw the ball to Fitzgerald, and we want to take him out of the game ? No. Sorry. Dumb move, ultra-conservative thinking to the point of hurting your team.

ST - Final Roster:
K: Jay Feely
P: Dave Zastudil
LS: Mike Leach
PR: Peterson, Roberts
KR: LSH, Powell, Jefferson

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
QB:
John Skelton
Kevin Kolb
Ryan Lindley

RB:
Chris Wells
Ryan Williams
LaRod Stephens-Howling
William Powell

FB:
Anthony Sherman
Jim Dray

WR:
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Roberts
Early Doucet
Michael Floyd
[DeMarco Sampson/LaRon Byrd] <--- Edge to Sampson

RM's pick: LaRon Byrd

TE:
Jeff King
Todd Heap
Rob Housler

LT:
[Levi Brown/Free Agent/DJ Young]
[DJ Young/Free Agent]
DJ Young* <---- Could open a spot for Nate Potter, or Brandon Williams, OLB

RT:
D'Anthony Batiste
Jeremy Bridges
Bobby Massie

LG:
Daryn Colledge
Senio Kelemete

RG:
Adam Snyder

OC:
Lyle Sendlein

DL:
Calais Campbell
Darnell Dockett
Dan Williams
David Carter
Nick Eason
Vonnie Holliday

OLB:
Sam Acho
Clark Haggans
O'Brien Schofield
[Quetin Groves/Brandon Williams]

RM's pick: Quetin Groves: Too good of an athlete

ILB:
Daryl Washington
Stewart Bradley
Paris Lenon
[Reggie Walker/Colin Parker/Quan Sturdivant]

RM's pick: Reggie Walker - Light bulb is on

CB:
Patrick Peterson
William Gay
Jamell Flemming
Greg Toler
AJ Jefferson

S:
Adrian Wilson
Kerry Rhodes
Frank Sanders
Rashad Johnson
Justin Bethel

ST:
K: Jay Feely
P: Dave Zastudil
LS: Mike Leach
PR: Peterson, Roberts
KR: LSH, Powell, Jefferson

Barring Injury, I don't see how this is not our team, based on how the coaches have been playing players, and the results seen so far.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post RM.

Some observations:

1) I hope you are wrong about Dray beating out Skelton. I have no idea what people see in Jim Dray.
2) Hope Byrd is the pick over Sampson. We have seen Sampson disappear when the regular season starts. Give Byrd a shot.
3) Did Walker turn it around last game or what? He was horrible up to that point so he better not let up.
4) Many like him but I just don't see anything in AJ Jefferson. Gives a huge cushion and gets burned continually. I keep Parker or possibly even Adams before Jefferson.
5) Offensive line too confusing to get into but I agree Batiste is still very much in the mix as a starter whether we like it or not. Hope they find someone.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
4) Many like him but I just don't see anything in AJ Jefferson. Gives a huge cushion and gets burned continually. I keep Parker or possibly even Adams before Jefferson.

Jefferson was good enough to start for this team last year. He has size, speed, plays well enough on special teams & can return punts.

Adams is a better tackler and a little better on special teams. Personally I think Adams is competing more against Justin Bethel and William Powell/Alfonso Smith. I also think Adams is losing that competition. Doesn't help that Adams is hurt right now either.

Larry Parker is the closest thing to competition for the 5th CB spot but he is an undrafted FA against someone who started for this team last year.

Peterson, Gay, Toler, and Jefferson have all played & started at least the CB2 position in NFL regular season games. Flemming is a 3rd round pick so I don't see how what is above is not our roster of CBs

If anyone is going to challenge

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mostly agree. A few comments:

- How about cutting Dray and keeping A. Smith as a 2nd FB?

- I'd favor Byrd over Sampson by an eyelash.

- I think they find a way to keep Potter (he'd have to beat out Young or Batiste - he's got 2 weeks to make his move.

- I think the ILB spot will be between Groves and Sturdivant (but Groves will have show he can wrap up better - he flies around to make plays, but too often whiffs on the tackle).

seesred

Reaction score
Didn't Massie play left tackle in college?
I would give Powell the spot as you did. He is a difference maker.
Reggie Walker played his head off Friday. Can he do it all year?

Thanks for all your insites. They are always a great read.

GBR

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff RM. It's times like this I wish the allowed roster number was bigger.

Everything you posted makes complete sense but I bet there will be a suprise or two.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Frank Sanders is too old to play Safety. I think they'll go with James Sanders instead who was in with the second team D along with Rashad Friday night.

:)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post RM.

Everything you said makes sense and is logical. The only player I disagree on is A.J. Jefferson. I think he gets cut.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Money Mike ends up staying over Jefferson. He is just too hard of a worker and loved too much by the coaching staff to be cut.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really relieved to see Flemming starting to stand out, and not in subtle ways but making athletic plays and being all over the ball. I mentioned before the year that corner looked like a hole and not a strength. Watching Gay and Adams get torched over and over made me queasy. Hopefully Flemming continues his ascension and can step into the #2 role sooner rather than later. If he doesnt we are going to have real problems in coverage.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice post! On the O-line I love the play of Rich Ohrnberger. I would start him at center over Sendlein. If the whole team played the way Ohrnberger does we would win ten straight superbowls. I think Ohrnberger will be the backup center. Anybody that watches the way this guy plays will fall in love with him. He finishes every block. I love the way this guy plays.

I agree with Quentin Groves and Laron Byrd. They have played really well. Both should make the team. I don't see anybody beating out Bobby Massie at right tackle. He played well against Oakland. Bridges should never play tackle again. He has looked bad. Unless we sign or trade for a LT we will have to keep a RB or TE glued to that side to help anybody on the current roster at LT.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Quan Sturdivant played really well on Friday. It's really the first time he has looked impressive in his two seasons. All of the sudden we have a little depth at ILB with Bradley, Lennon, Walker, and Sturdivant. Granted it's just one game, but it was good to see.

I think Groves has to make this team. I could see him getting a lot of snaps on first and second down with Schofield getting the snaps on passing downs.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree. Every year he is projected to be cut, every year he is saved by the special teams coaches, and every year he ends up playing on the field.

I hadn't realized how thin we are at safety.

I think Money Mike ends up staying over Jefferson. He is just too hard of a worker and loved too much by the coaching staff to be cut.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I hadn't realized how thin we are at safety.

Now or in the past ?

I was actually saying to myself that we are deep at safety this year.

My concern right now is all over the offensive line.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
S - Final Roster:
Adrian Wilson
Kerry Rhodes
Frank Sanders
Rashad Johnson
Justin Bethel

Cut:
Eddie Elder
Blake Gideon

I was going with now. I have no fight with Wilson and Rhodes. Wilson has looked solid this pre-season and I think he may be healthy (knock on wood) for the first time in a while.

The other three are unproven at best. Maybe I missed some things, but none of them strike me as immediate plug and play alternatives and I'd be concerned if Wilson or Rhodes went down.

Now or in the past ?

I was actually saying to myself that we are deep at safety this year.

My concern right now is all over the offensive line.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
S - Final Roster:
Adrian Wilson
Kerry Rhodes
Frank Sanders
Rashad Johnson
Justin Bethel

Cut:
Eddie Elder
Blake Gideon

I was going with now. I have no fight with Wilson and Rhodes. Wilson has looked solid this pre-season and I think he may be healthy (knock on wood) for the first time in a while.

The other three are unproven at best. Maybe I missed some things, but none of them strike me as immediate plug and play alternatives and I'd be concerned if Wilson or Rhodes went down.

Fair enough.

IMHO:
1. Rashad Johnson is the same player we had last year.
2. James Sanders is an upgrade over Abdullah.
3. Justin Bethel is the best young talent we have had at safety in a tremendously long time.

Gideon and Elder have shown at lot for two UDFA. I hope Gideon ends up on the PS, but he probably will not.

Not to mention William Gay can play safety in a pinch, and did so in Pit.

I feel better about our depth then I did last year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice work.

1... wouldn't be suprised if we traded a pick to get help at LT

2... wouldn't be surprised if we traded one of our CB's to recoup a pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort