POLL: Will they Match or Not?

Will Sarver Match the Hawks offer for JJ?

• Yes

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the Suns match the Atlanta 5 year 70 million dollar deal for JJ?

My vote is NO (praying to be wrong).

I'm just hearing more and more and more from newspaper articles, people I know who work for the Suns, people I know who know people who work for the Suns and so on and so on that Sarver's made up his mind already.

I also base this on a couple of things I know about how Sarver has run the Suns (also from friends who work with/for the Suns)... how he has acted on the sidelines and how he has "restructured" within the organization as well as having only the minimum number of players on the roster.

In addition to this, just based on last year, the signing of RFAs doesn't seem to be as taboo as it used to be as teams last year seemed to do their homework (like us and the Nugz) before signing RFAs. Maybe a trend, maybe not...

This isn't a SHOULD WE or SHOULDN'T WE match poll - it's what you think WILL happen - have at it (and me most likely!).

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of the extended period before signing is that it is giving people a chance to voice their opinions before he makes the final decision. Paul Caro was on the radio with Asher and agreed that failing to sign JJ would be a public relations nightmare for the Suns and Sarver personally.

Caro also suggested that the failure to sign JJ a year ago was against the advice of the Colangelos and most of the basketball staff. But this year the stakes are a lot bigger.

In the end, I think Sarver will see the light. If he doesn't, he might as well move back to San Diego now because he will not be very popular in Phoenix.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm just hearing more and more and more from...people I know who work for the Suns, people I know who know people who work for the Suns and so on and so on that Sarver's made up his mind already.

:gambo: :D

cly2tw

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
In the end, I think Sarver will see the light. If he doesn't, he might as well move back to San Diego now because he will not be very popular in Phoenix.

Success will change everything. Most of us were rather reserved about Nash's signing last year, to say the least.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Success will change everything. Most of us were rather reserved about Nash's signing last year, to say the least.

We were concerned that Nash was too expensive, just as we are concerned that JJ is too expensive. But it turned out Nash was a bargain.

Face it, there is no "upside" to not signing JJ. There is no cap space added, no illusive big man, no flock of draft picks, no added chance at getting to the finals. Nothing, zero, nada.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
We were concerned that Nash was too expensive, just as we are concerned that JJ is too expensive. But it turned out Nash was a bargain.

Face it, there is no "upside" to not signing JJ. There is no cap space added, no illusive big man, no flock of draft picks, no added chance at getting to the finals. Nothing, zero, nada.

Well put. Letting Joe walk would be a disaster both on the PR front and on the court. We may be able to skate by next year and still be a home court team in the first round, but 2 years for now we will be hurting bad.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole town should be doign a pre-emptive number on Sarver right now - the talk shows, the Republic, the Trib, all of you living there. I think it's IMPERATIVE for Sarver to already be villified right now leaving him no choice but to sign JJ. I just have a really, REALLY bad feeling about all of this.

I'd rather have to say sorry to Sarver for misjudging than sitting by and doing nothing and possibly being right when pressure alone could force his hand.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
I voted yes. If it has to come to it, we have no better option than matching it. But if we fail to bring Joe back by trading him, it's not the end of the franchise or Sarver's reputation. I trust him to be a good business man. That's all folks. :cool:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns are really quiet right now, that makes a lot of people panic.

But i feel that B.C will make Sarver realize that the Suns are running for contention. And that alone will make Sarver cop the contract.

The Suns can always trade after the season, its not like JJ will be forgotten... unless he gets injured.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
I voted yes, simply because that is what I want to see happen. I love these scientific polls.;)

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a question - if we DON'T re-sign JJ - will we even maintain a salary structure that fills the cap?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, if it doesn't work out trade him after this year. But without any replacement out there to fill his shoes you have no choice but to sign him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson