POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

gmartin

Reaction score
Even as a waterboy Payton could create major discord, and the Saints would have to pay him

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Honest question, could Payton tell the Saints he will be their HC for 2 yrs, but drop a hint that if they take him back he could sabotage the team, forcing them to fire him?
no

Payton sabotages his own value there too--

if he really did that, what make you think he wouldnt do the same to you if it suited his interests?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
no

Payton sabotages his own value there too--

if he really did that, what make you think he wouldnt do the same to you if it suited his interests?
Which also worries me about Payton, if he really is not fully into coaching and it becomes a passing fancy only after a few years on something as demanding as building up a franchise again but his enormous ego then becomes a plus with him not wanting to fail due to pride... though if he does pull walking out again, it could be worth it if it means in a few years he makes Kyler Murray a legit franchise QB, but then why would he leave if he accomplishes that because he would probably be winning lol

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which also worries me about Payton, if he really is not fully into coaching and it becomes a passing fancy only after a few years on something as demanding as building up a franchise again but his enormous ego then becomes a plus with him not wanting to fail due to pride... though if he does pull walking out again, it could be worth it if it means in a few years he makes Kyler Murray a legit franchise QB, but then why would he leave if he accomplishes that because he would probably be winning lol
Worries me too.

We’re talking about human beings here - who are prone to growing lazy, complacent or full of themselves when things come too easy.

I think this is what may have happened to Kyler. But the good news. is that with proper mentorship, the process can be reversed.

But the level and pace of maturation isn’t a given (It is what it is). Situations vary. As a fan, I’d be inclined to cut Kyler a little more slack and hope the risk/reward ratio works in our favor.

Same dynamic may be in play with Payton. He could suffer from too much easy success. Or not - just saying that nothing’s a sure lock. You plays your hand and takes your chances.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
More interviews requested. Due diligence while waiting on Sean Payton to make a decision, or New Orleans to make a decision, or no Sean Payton?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You don’t pay that kind of money to cheap out on the rest
Except we’ve seen it in this market. Sarver was willing to go over the Luxury Tax yet make salary cuts in other areas that left the team short of adequate pieces to win a title. There are very few all-in owners in sports. I’m not sure how many of them actually crave winning to the highest degree.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think that teams don't want to pay his extremely high salary, give him big control of the team, AND trade draft picks for him. That's a lot to give up.
True - but that's the cost for the one sure thing on the market.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
SP is too expensive! Move on!
This team has too many holes to fill. We simply can’t overcome losing draft Capitol in exchange for SPs value as a HC.

Reactions: PJ1

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nothing is a sure thing. Maybe the Cardinals institutional incompetence overcomes Payton too. Maybe Loomis was a big part of his success as well. Who knows?
Lol, compared to every other potential option, Payton has a completely different track record and history. If 10+ years of success doesn't impress you compared to the Island of Misfit Toys that is available, then I don't know what to tell you.

There is obviously no guarantee of success with any coach, but Payton is much more of a sure thing than anything else on the market.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol, compared to every other potential option, Payton has a completely different track record and history. If 10+ years of success doesn't impress you compared to the Island of Misfit Toys that is available, then I don't know what to tell you.
I get the appeal, and he is the top of my list as well.
There is obviously no guarantee of success with any coach, but Payton is much more of a sure thing than anything else on the market.
Agreed, but he is the "most sure thing".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose