Playoff Picture 2021

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We already have a thread for this.

Cardinals could clinch the division the following week.

Mods, can we please merge?
Merged

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Yesterday I envisioned a NFC Championship game at Glendale vs. Tampa Bay in a surreal victory for the Cardinals. Tom Brady was being sacked by CJ and actually sustains an injury. Then the Cards go on to win the SB. Titans beat Pats to go to SB with Derrick Henry. Even crazier, Titans come up 1 yard short again to lose the big game.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yesterday I envisioned a NFC Championship game at Glendale vs. Tampa Bay in a surreal victory for the Cardinals. Tom Brady was being sacked by CJ and actually sustains an injury. Then the Cards go on to win the SB. Titans beat Pats to go to SB with Derrick Henry. Even crazier, Titans come up 1 yard short again to lose the big game.

This sounded amazing until you had to make it unrealistic by saying Derrick Henry was back lol

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Lions fan and he found a playoff predictor that someone had done to show how the Lions could make the playoffs. It only required 45 different outcomes over the next 6 weeks. It was reminiscent of many of the yearly scenarios the Cards would have.

The Cowboys beat the Saints last night, so 1 down and only 44 to go!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Watt will be back by round 2 of the playoffs, and he provides a huge boost.

After another injury plagued season, I could see him hanging it up if we win a SB. He has so many options after his playing days are over.

I would love to see JJ put on a dominant playoff run like Fitz in 09 and then ride off into the sunset with a ring.

3 games (Divisional/Championship/Superbowl) - 7 sacks - 12 TFL - 6 passes tipped

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I think Watt will be back by round 2 of the playoffs, and he provides a huge boost.

After another injury plagued season, I could see him hanging it up if we win a SB. He has so many options after his playing days are over.

I would love to see JJ put on a dominant playoff run like Fitz in 09 and then ride off into the sunset with a ring.

3 games (Divisional/Championship/Superbowl) - 7 sacks - 12 TFL - 6 passes tipped
tips a pass intercepts is and runs it into paydirt as time expires

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clinching this week. We win next week along with a Washington lose this week or next week and we are in the playoffs.

Division can still be clinched next week with two Ram's loses and a SF lose.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
No clinching this week. We win next week along with a Washington lose this week or next week and we are in the playoffs.

Division can still be clinched next week with two Ram's loses and a SF lose.
We wouldn’t need a Washington loss. One more win by the Cardinals, any win, should be sufficient to clinch the playoffs. There should be a way to clinch the playoffs next week even with a loss — driving home from Chicago now, and will work these scenarios out later tonight.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Out of all the teams the Bucs scare me the most.

Tampa's offensive strength is the pass (big time). Their run game is kind of weak, and a little less effective than GBs. Packers defense is a little better than the Bucs'.

So I'm going to say GB is the team I'd least like to face.

Here's a fun fact: We've beaten the following ranked rushing attacks:

4. CLE
5. TEN
6. SF (twice)
9. CHI

Yet "we suck against the run". :)

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wouldn’t need a Washington loss. One more win by the Cardinals, any win, should be sufficient to clinch the playoffs. There should be a way to clinch the playoffs next week even with a loss — driving home from Chicago now, and will work these scenarios out later tonight.
Your right, when I posted this, Washington hadn't played yet and I misread it.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
My preliminary Week 14 clinching scenarios (wildcard only, cannot clinch the NFC West in Week 14):

ARI win

OR

MIN loss + SF loss

OR

MIN loss + CRL loss + NO loss

OR

SF loss + NO loss + ATL/CRL tie

Details and explanations to come later.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Tampa's offensive strength is the pass (big time). Their run game is kind of weak, and a little less effective than GBs. Packers defense is a little better than the Bucs'.

So I'm going to say GB is the team I'd least like to face.

Here's a fun fact: We've beaten the following ranked rushing attacks:

4. CLE
5. TEN
6. SF (twice)
9. CHI

Yet "we suck against the run". :)

Out of all the teams the Bucs scare me the most.
I think we scare them the most.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
For the details and explanations for those who care to read:

As it stands, there are seven teams that cannot catch us:
1) DET
2) SEA
3) NYG
4) CHI
5) PHI (or WSH, if PHI wins out)
6) & 7) two among ATL/CRL/NO since they play each other and only one team at most can go 10-7

Increase that number to 9, after accounting for division winners, then we clinch. MIN, SF, and the survivor among ATL/CRL/NO are each just one loss away (we win tie-breakers over SF, lose to ATL/CRL/NO, and can lose to MIN in certain 3-way ties).

Satisfying two of those three would clinch the playoffs for us. However, ATL/CRL play each other Week 14, so to clear out the NFC South contenders this week, we would NO to lose and ATL/CRL to tie.

Also, SF and ATL still have to play each other. And so, an ATL win over CRL, plus a NO loss, plus a MIN loss leaves only ATL and SF with the potential to catch us. MIN would be the eighth team unable to catch us. The loser of ATL/SF (or ATL if they tie) would be the ninth, clinching our spot regardless of that outcome.

Another consideration: Cleaning out the NFC South with a NO loss and ATL/CRL tie, plus a PHI loss may make it impossible for MIN to get a favorable 3-way tie to jump us, thus wiping them out too. However, since they could still conceivably catch GB for the division, leaving GB to beat us in a tie-breaker at 10-7, that particular scenario is not on my prior post.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
For the sake completeness, a tie for MIN, ATL, CRL, or NO is as good as a loss as far as we are concerned. For SF, they would need to lose (not tie). An ARI tie also clinches.

The scenario specifically requiring an ATL/CRL tie only works if they tie.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate all this…. But holy cow you have too much time in your hands :)
:)
Perhaps, but it gives me something to think about on my drives home from the games. About 5 hours from Chicago to get back home to St Louis. Today was road game #6 for me this season (only one I missed was SF) and all by car (including some real long ones to Jax, LA, Seattle)!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
:)
Perhaps, but it gives me something to think about on my drives home from the games. About 5 hours from Chicago to get back home to St Louis. Today was road game #6 for me this season (only one I missed was SF) and all by car (including some real long ones to Jax, LA, Seattle)!
Holy crap that’s impressive!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson