Peter King: Arizona Owns 2024

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree. A 2nd and 4th are far more likely of a return and would still be great. I believe it would look similar to our trading of the 3rd pick in this draft. Maybe you get a great offer because of a lot of interest, but regardless you should be able to get something.

I think you could get the Aaron Rodgers deal for him. In a rational market.

The NFL isn't really a rational market, though. If you look at what Denver gave up for Russ and Cleveland gave up for Deshaun Watson... Anything's possible.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If we trade Kyler, I think the main motivation is getting his future $$ off the books in favor of a rookie QB more than receiving a big haul of picks back. Obviously we'd get something, but I don't think we can be very picky if our #1 objective is to trade him.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect there will be a Kyler resurgence for a season or so and then a slow spiral downward as Kyler gets to pouting about this coaching staff. He’ll start off working hard then quit putting in the time. This is what you get with a mercurial QB like Kyler

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kind of. IF Caleb Williams is a top QB prospect, you don't pass on acquiring him to keep Derek Carr or Dak Prescott. If Kyler plays OK but not spectacular, a team like the Commanders could see the advantages of having Kyler on a 38 mil deal. Atlanta may be done with the Desmond Ridder experiment. Looking like a top 16 QB vs a top 5 QB is a big difference but both are better than having a bottom 10 QB.
To me, if he's living up to the contract it means he's playing spectacular, not just okay. Just how I look at it...and if that's the case, you do not trade him to draft a rookie.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To me, if he's living up to the contract it means he's playing spectacular, not just okay. Just how I look at it...and if that's the case, you do not trade him to draft a rookie.
The contract is more than just the salary, though. There are bonuses and such.

After this year, Kyler's cap number will be greater than his salary and roster bonuses, which means we accept some of the go-forward cap charge and the team acquiring his contract gets it at a discount relative to what he signed for.

Also, the team could make a salary cut/restructure a condition of the trade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. A 2nd and 4th are far more likely of a return and would still be great. I believe it would look similar to our trading of the 3rd pick in this draft. Maybe you get a great offer because of a lot of interest, but regardless you should be able to get something.
I think 2nd and 4 would be the starting point but subsequently, the bidding would escalate to a lot more. I bet the Cardinals could have not included 105 in their trade with the Texans, but the Ossenfort-Caserio relationship would dictate you don't totally fleece a friend.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think anyone who discounts the fact that other teams probably blame the Cardinals for most of Murray's struggles are fooling themselves.

If the Cardinals  could trade Murray right now, I bet they'd get a substantial trade package for him. Probably at least 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks would just be the start of negotiations.

I think 2nd and 4 would be the starting point but subsequently, the bidding would escalate to a lot more. I bet the Cardinals could have not included 105 in their trade with the Texans, but the Ossenfort-Caserio relationship would dictate you don't totally fleece a friend.
What a difference a few hours makes.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I answered it in a post above but his contract would already be affordable for the team trading for him. No need to re-do the deal.
Just about every time I heard a report about DHop leading up to the Draft, it said that he's still a #1 or #1a WR, but that teams don't want to take on that contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bro, the Cardinals have had many of our castoffs go elsewhere and succeed. There is a long track record going back to the St. Louis Cardinals.

Did they pay a haul for the pleasure?

If we are moving on from Kyler next year or the year after it's because we don't think he's good enough. That automatically reduces the value.

We're basically saying he's Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield, except we were dumb enough to give him an early extension he didn't deserve.

On saying all that I don't think it happens. I'd be surprised if they tried to move off him before 2026 unless he absolutely blows.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think we would be looking at a very conditional trade.

Something like a 2nd and 4th as a baseline that gets bumped up to a 1st and 3rd if certain criteria are met such as make the playoffs, win X number of games etc etc

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I agree with those who say there is pressure on Kyler because of these picks. If Caleb is the amazing prospect people say he is, you can't pass on him for a QB who is 26 (turning 27 before the 2024 season) and falls in the 8-14 category for NFL QBs.
I personally prefer Maye of the 2. AS far as i am concerned, there is no way Kyler can do enough to not draft 1 of these 2. I will be happy if he does enough for another team to cough up some picks for him before the draft next year

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

If we are moving on from Kyler next year or the year after it's because we don't think he's good enough. That automatically reduces the value.

We're basically saying he's Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield, except we were dumb enough to give him an early extension he didn't deserve.

On saying all that I don't think it happens. I'd be surprised if they tried to move off him before 2026 unless he absolutely blows.
If you have the #1 overall pick, that is justification for moving on from Kyler. I hope he puts up big numbers in the few games he plays just to bump his trade value.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I personally prefer Maye of the 2. AS far as i am concerned, there is no way Kyler can do enough to not draft 1 of these 2. I will be happy if he does enough for another team to cough up some picks for him before the draft next year
I don't disagree with this/

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I so far have absolutely no idea which QB I would want. I just know I would like to make MHJ a Cardinal.

I think it's completely pointless speculating this far out. There are always guys that vastly improve like Joe Burrow or come from nowhere like Kyler.

I remember "way too early mock drafts" having Jake Fromm and Drew Lock as a top 5 picks and Jacob Eason as a 1st rounder.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Commanders win between 5-8 games, partially because I believe in the NFC East. I think the Giants come back to earth, the Cowboys have their typical down year after a winning one, and the Eagles just don't have the talent they had last year.

The Rams will surprise...when they should suck. Aaron Donald guarantees five wins on his own. And McVay is a coach that will get you a few wins on his own.

The Bucs are going to really suck. Subpar passing game. Subpar running game. Defense is bottom halfish at this point.

I don't believe in Stroud. And Anderson isn't going to be the defensive savior some are prognosticating. He's the next Justin Houston. He'll bee pretty good for a long time with a few really good seasons.

Jordan Love is going to suck. He's going to be a bottom three starter. Take that to the bank. But in typical Packers fashion, they will be in range to get a franchise QB right when the other one is gone.

Cardinals at four. The team will win very few games with Murray out and will show some glimpses of improvement once he gets back. I think this experience will change Murray for the better.

I agree overall that this group isn't bad at all.
I agree it’s not bad, it’s just subject to a lot of question marks.

Nuk has shown himself to be less reliable with injuries and a suspension. And now age is peeking in.

Rondale - injuries

Ertz - coming off injury at advanced age

McBride - still unproven

Wilson - rookie and health

Really only leaves hollywood and dortch as completely dependable guys. If all works out with availability the offense should be pretty good (when kyler retirns, hopefully improved). But the downside is ugly. And while every team has a downside of injury and age, ours is a lot closer than most methinks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree it’s not bad, it’s just subject to a lot of question marks.

Nuk has shown himself to be less reliable with injuries and a suspension. And now age is peeking in.
Agreed.
Rondale - injuries
When he plays, he can be dynamic at times, but I think we've seen who he is.
Ertz - coming off injury at advanced age
Agreed.
McBride - still unproven
Ish. He showed he has good potential down the stretch after a rough start.
Wilson - rookie and health
He's depth at this point. I thought adding a big backup outside receiver was a huge need even with adding Pascal. Pascal can play too, not a star but is dependable.
Really only leaves hollywood and dortch as completely dependable guys. If all works out with availability the offense should be pretty good (when kyler retirns, hopefully improved). But the downside is ugly. And while every team has a downside of injury and age, ours is a lot closer than most methinks.
I look at this as WR that's on the precipice of transition. That's why it was smart to gamble on Wilson and sign Pascal to a two year deal. Hollywood will probably get more than we want to pay him, but he's a decent player. Just add Harrison Jr next year and another TE with potential and the group will be a good one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you could get the Aaron Rodgers deal for him. In a rational market.

The NFL isn't really a rational market, though. If you look at what Denver gave up for Russ and Cleveland gave up for Deshaun Watson... Anything's possible.
Exactly. This is QB we are talking about. In the NFL. It’s bananas thinking. I mean the cardinals paid Sam Bradford $13.4M for part of a season. And backed him up with Mike Glennon, super giraffe, for $5M. Compared to those guys kyler is a savior and bargain at his contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This just couldn’t be further from the truth. Kyler has accomplished more than these two and clearly separated himself from their ilk.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we would be looking at a very conditional trade.

Something like a 2nd and 4th as a baseline that gets bumped up to a 1st and 3rd if certain criteria are met such as make the playoffs, win X number of games etc etc
The lions received 2 firsts, a second and Jared Goff for a much older Matt stafford. Kyler is in the stafford realm. And even if he isn’t at the height of stafford, he’s younger and a team looking to get to a higher level could easily talk themselves into kyler being the next stafford.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard