Palmer's Game

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I'm sure some of were thinking Harry's crazy if he wants you cut this guy. Well there's no denying Palmer played great. Actually that only reinforces my belief cutting Palmer is the best course. I know it sounds crazy but think of it this way. Palmer played great and they still lost. At most Palmer could probably last one more year. Even with a good draft next year's team will be weaker. So how does keeping Palmer help? If even if he plays great they likely still lose. Cutting him allows the Cards to plug more than one hole. With all the free agents there are plenty of holes. These are the kind of moves Belicheck makes. Put emotion aside and make the decision that provides the best long term solution. I like Palmer; he's been good for the Cards. However his era is done snd it's time to move on. If you disagree layout the plan for me that shows me how the Cards field a better team next year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get your point Harry but this year is simply a perfect storm of bad luck and injuries. Palmer needs to stay because he is a Very Good QB and a fantastic leader.

Hopefully Palmer does some math and reduces his salary and CAP hit.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Only way Palmer and Fitz aren't here next year is if THEY choose to retire. Nothing really to discuss on that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Only way Palmer and Fitz aren't here next year is if THEY choose to retire. Nothing really to discuss on that.

With the way Aaron Donald usually treats him I wouldn't rule out him retiring week-17 and just staying in California lol.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Disagree but I am not an expert. I believe this team can contend next year with Palmer. I think the perfect scenario is finding a new back-up that can actually start when needed and maybe be a bridge to the next QBOF. I still think Mike Glennon is that guy. He is more like Joe Flacco but with DJ and a better defense...we can win with him. Everyone wants the next Brady, Manning, etc but there just aren't very many out there...what are the odds we get one?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I do think that Palmer should accept a pay cut, however. $24+M is way too much. If he balks, I'm with Harry, go in a different direction. Man, seeing as Drew Brees indicated last summer that the Cardinals are one of the teams he would like to play for, I'd be on board with trying to trade for him. 2018 cap figure on Brees: $13M. if Sean Payton goes in a trade---which the Saints have said they are open to, maybe they would trade Brees too?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You're doubling down on your foolishness, Harry.

How does cutting Palmer help fill a hole? That'd actually create an even bigger hole despite the cap room created.

QB is the most important position in pro sports, and we should fee blessed that we have one who's pretty good at his craft. The only issue is Palmer's age, which is why it's much smarter to keep him for at least one more season, draft/develop another in the offseason, and revisit in 2018.

I mean, if you're comfy with Stanton behind center in 2017, let's make it happen. I'm happy that no one in the front office is remotely considering this mishigas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
"Palmer played great and they still lost" and that is why you cut him. To me that is poor logic unless you get lucky in the draft. Any team that is competitive has a solid QB and even a solid QB is going to make a ton of money in this league. No use flip flopping names under center for the same basic cap hit in my opinion when you already have one in Palmer who knows the system and can teach a rookie or someone like Glennon

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
How it fills holes is that $10 million from Palmer, plus likely Fitz's $6 mil will buy 5 decent free agents. Does that mean a QB as good as Palmer in year one - no. Of course you're assuming Palmer can stay healthy. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the steps are in this "plan" that turns a 6 win team into a 10 win team. I guess only time will settle this. I wouldn't be shocked to see Palmer & Fitz return. I would be shocked if that scenario led to more than 8 wins.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is total nonsense! We have had terrible luck and some crazy STs bs or we likely sitting at 9-10 wins currently. Blowing this team up would be stupidity of the highest degree. Full some holes and take another shot next year while Fitz and Palmer are still here, you can start a rebuild once they retire. You never know when you will have that kind of talent again ride it while you got it. Palmer is not the problem on this team geesh wth is wrong with some of you? Fix the damn Oline and he will shine like last season, oh and maybe get a few receivers that can catch the damn ball!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm sure some of were thinking Harry's crazy if he wants you cut this guy. Well there's no denying Palmer played great. Actually that only reinforces my belief cutting Palmer is the best course. I know it sounds crazy but think of it this way. Palmer played great and they still lost. At most Palmer could probably last one more year. Even with a good draft next year's team will be weaker. So how does keeping Palmer help? If even if he plays great they likely still lose. Cutting him allows the Cards to plug more than one hole. With all the free agents there are plenty of holes. These are the kind of moves Belicheck makes. Put emotion aside and make the decision that provides the best long term solution. I like Palmer; he's been good for the Cards. However his era is done snd it's time to move on. If you disagree layout the plan for me that shows me how the Cards field a better team next year.
yeah, because we all saw billicheat cut brady so he could spread his salary around...

we need to keep palmer until we have his replacement on the roster...and we don't.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
yeah, because we all saw billicheat cut brady so he could spread his salary around...

we need to keep palmer until we have his replacement on the roster...and we don't.

So how many years do we keep Palmer. We can't justify paying him 24 million, but say we keep him one year. What if we don't have his replacement on the roster then? Do we keep him 2 more years? Re-sign him and keep him for 3 years? You can't just keep an old QB forever and ever amen.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So how many years do we keep Palmer. We can't justify paying him 24 million, but say we keep him one year. What if we don't have his replacement on the roster then? Do we keep him 2 more years? Re-sign him and keep him for 3 years? You can't just keep an old QB forever and ever amen.
I agree. at some point sk is gonna have to poo or get off the pot in regards to getting us a young QB.... if he cant find one he needs to hire someone who can....we have obviously passed on a few in recent years that could have been good for the team...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Old QB hmm guess Brady is done then as he's got a few years on Palmer? Put a freaking line in front of him and he's very good! It's not rocket science geesh.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How it fills holes is that $10 million from Palmer, plus likely Fitz's $6 mil will buy 5 decent free agents. Does that mean a QB as good as Palmer in year one - no. Of course you're assuming Palmer can stay healthy. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the steps are in this "plan" that turns a 6 win team into a 10 win team. I guess only time will settle this. I wouldn't be shocked to see Palmer & Fitz return. I would be shocked if that scenario led to more than 8 wins.

Here's a quick fix on how you get back to 10 wins with Palmer at his current number:

Retool special teams. New coach and punter. Get competition for Catanzaro

Draft/sign an ILB

Re-sign Calais and franchise jones (re-sign both if possible)

Get a possession receiver

That's it.

But you still have to have that QB under center and you're not gonna get any better with another retread (Cutler or Romo) or an unproven (Glennon).

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This is a SB team that had an off year and you want to cut our QB? Fix special teams, stay healthy next year and look out.

Please.o_O

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Cut Palmer? Lol
Hell why don't we just cut Fitz, trade PP because he's scared on PR, cut the badger because he's constantly hurt & cut Veldheer because we've got Hump to play LT. Ludicrous.

Tell BA, the fans, Michael & Cardinal players that's "the right thing to do" moving forward. I still say the Big Red can win the Super Bowl next year if the Oline gels with Boehm & Toner in the lineup next year, along with a few tweaks defensively & special teams.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This is a SB team that had an off year and you want to cut our QB? Fix special teams, stay healthy next year and look out.

Please.o_O
This is a SB team? Why, because BA said so. I watched every game and we did not play like a SB team. Not even close. We have a lot of work to do to get there.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a SB team? Why, because BA said so. I watched every game and we did not play like a SB team. Not even close. We have a lot of work to do to get there.

In all fairness if we play mistake free football, we have shown we can beat anyone. Problem has been our STs single handlely gives games away. When guys like Fitz, DJ even fumble you know your just having an off season nothing has gone our way along with some ridiculous calls against us. The roughing call today at the end against us just the latest in absurd calls that come at perfect times to cost us games, or how about spotting Carolina 7 points to start that game because the replay was down? Or how about the challenge BA threw today and clearly was not a catch but yet the Ref upholds the call calling it a catch and boom TD few plays later. That's the whole season in a nutshell, if we are not screwing our selves the refs step right in and help us lol. This season has had some of the craziest calls non calls fumbles tipped INTs blocked FGs missed FGs returned punt 100 into returns punt returns you name it we have had it happen to us this year! Palmer is not the problem if we just had an average special teams we are 3-5 wins better right now!

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein Harry is right, time to move on and start making the kind of changes the teams need. We can't buy our way to a Championship using key players that are near the end of their career. We improve through the draft, not the checkbook. Look at the other top teams in the league, they drafted their QBs with the exception of Denver. They did okay with Manning. I see no change next season if we continue to do business as we did this year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, what I disagree with is your premise that by cutting Palmer we can sign FA's and fill several holes. Sounds good, but there is no assurance that one, we can sign FA's that we covet. And two, we do sign the FA, and they perform the way we want them to. Who knows? But every year we read about mistakes teams make with FA's. Brock Osweiler, being the latest.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score
Here's a quick fix on how you get back to 10 wins with Palmer at his current number:

Draft/sign an ILB

That's it.

But you still have to have that QB under center and you're not gonna get any better with another retread (Cutler or Romo) or an unproven (Glennon).

Asked and answered. This guy has it right.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein Harry is right, time to move on and start making the kind of changes the teams need. We can't buy our way to a Championship using key players that are near the end of their career. We improve through the draft, not the checkbook. Look at the other top teams in the league, they drafted their QBs with the exception of Denver. They did okay with Manning. I see no change next season if we continue to do business as we did this year.

I like you definition of insanity.

so,...cutting our starting QB is the answer, that's doing something different...

you must be new,... swapping QB's was the cardinal way for decades and we all know what that got us,.... nada.... for twenty years all this team needed was a QB,...then all it needed was an edge rusher.... now that we got an edge rusher folks wanna cut the QB..... brilliant

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Old QB hmm guess Brady is done then as he's got a few years on Palmer? Put a freaking line in front of him and he's very good! It's not rocket science geesh.

Because Brady is the rule, not the exception, right? Wrong. You're going to tell me that Palmer's like a fine wine and he's getting better, not worse, with age? I don't see how anyone can agree with this.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Draft/sign an ILB

That's it.

I think you have to stick with Palmer one more year. There aren't really many options other than to stick with him. With the exception of Johnson he hasn't had much of a supporting cast around him. Arians needs to retool the offense to fit what is available to work with and to utilize the talent on the team. Nelson and Brown are not long term answers at WR. They need to find a larger WR to compliment Fitz and eventually take over for Fitz. Nelson still drops too many very catchable passes. Outside of Gresham TE is a mess. The Oline isn't any better, although injuries haven't helped there. TJ pretty much covers most of it.

They need to figure out the Oline. The one thing I do not want to hear from Arians is coachspeak about so and so player is fine or this coach is excellent when even the every day guy sees it's BS. I have grown very tired of it. They need to move on from certain players like Niklas, C. Johnson, Fua, Ellington and or Taylor and a few others. I think this is a BIG NEED, a true FS. Neither Swearinger or Jefferson is a true FS. This I think is a major need of the defense besides ILB.

One thing I am not on board with is franchising Chandler Jones. In 4 previous seasons the guy has been productive for the first 10 games and then pretty much disappears and so far he is on track for doing it again. I'm just not okay paying a guy who to date has been effective for 10 games and then falls off the radar for the last six games. If you are paying for a guy to produce sacks then he needs to produce over a 16 games period. So far in his career Jones has gotten over 85% of his sacks in the first 10 games and with every game he plays here on out that number gets bigger each game he doesn't get a sack. If some one can figure out why this is so then maybe he is worth tagging but unless some one can do that then I do not see how you justify paying him top dollar. We all know as you get later in the season each game becomes more important and here is a guy you can't depend on to help the team very much. Even his QB hits and pressures fall off. I get the point that this team hasn't had a decent pass rusher however you can't dismantle the team to keep a player who seems to have limitations either. IF you 're okay with a 10 game player then I guess you still sign him, I'm not entirely sold on that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard