Arizona Cardinals sign QB Cole McDonald to future contract

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals sign QB Cole McDonald to future contract

https://arizonasports.com/story/2529396/arizona-cardinals-sign-qb-cole-mcdonald-futures-contract/

The Arizona Cardinals reportedly worked out quarterback Cole McDonald in late December, when starter Kyler Murray’s health status heading into the season finale appeared murky.

It turns out that wasn’t just an emergency look.

Arizona on Thursday signed McDonald after he visited the Cardinals again earlier this week.

McDonald signed a futures deal with a chance to impress the Cardinals this upcoming offseason. And there are several quarterback questions at play behind Murray.

The Cardinals’ 2020 third-stringer, Brett Hundley, will be a free agent when the new league year begins. The backup, Chris Streveler, had a rough game in his only significant action, a Week 17 loss to the Los Angeles Rams.

McDonald was selected in the seventh round of the 2020 draft by the Tennessee Titans, but he was released on Aug. 19.

As a junior at Hawaii in 2019, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound quarterback recorded 4,135 passing yards (third in the nation), 33 touchdowns and rushed for 383 yards and seven scores on 101 attempts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe we didn't trade Murray and 2 first round picks for this guy...

What. A. Steal.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Certainly adding a very good looking guy doesn't hurt

Btw he has some upside to be a quality back up

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The backup, Chris Streveler, had a rough game in his only significant action, a Week 17 loss to the Los Angeles.

I could not tell he struggled :sarcasm:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm guessing Streveler is gone.

Strev would be great if he:

played special teams
was ready for a handful of gadget plays / short yardage stuff at QB ( i want the wishbone with Kyler as one of the RBs!!!)

AND: was the 3rd emergency QB, who because of the things above, could dress for 16 games

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

played special teams
was ready for a handful of gadget plays / short yardage stuff at QB ( i want the wishbone with Kyler as one of the RBs!!!)

AND: was the 3rd emergency QB, who because of the things above, could dress for 16 games
the answer is out there - just look at how the saints use taysom hill. just copy it. i don't understand having a guy like that and not using him in any way aside from 1 yard qb sneaks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

played special teams

Maybe but I'm not ready to go back down that road with Kingsbury.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These contracts mean nothing. It's camp body stuff. Maybe he will pull off a miracle and make the 53 (if Streveler can anyone can) but in reality he's likely just someone to throw balls to 3rd stringers in camp with Hundley gone.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These contracts mean nothing. It's camp body stuff. Maybe he will pull off a miracle and make the 53 (if Streveler can anyone can) but in reality he's likely just someone to throw balls to 3rd stringers in camp with Hundley gone.
Do u know him or its just a generic comment regarding the signings in February
The guy has some upside, I think he has a good chance to make the roster

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think it's pretty likely Streveler is back next year. He's been here a year he knows the offense and he fits what Kliff wants because he's mobile.

I actually watched video today of the 16 throws, no runs, no sacks just throws. He was 11-16 one TD(a jet sweep really) and the picksix, which again was clearly an offsides. Terrible decision, can't throw that ball, should not have mattered should have been a 5 yard penalty our ball in FG range. So if they make that call correctly it's 11-15 105 yards, passer rating about 85, against the best defense in the NFL, barely playing all year and taking only limited reps all week since Murray was the starter.

I don't think he's great by any means but if we kept him all year this year, I'd be pretty surprised if he's not on the roster next year.

Hopefully we have a better backup and he's #3. Just don't see why people think Hundley was going to be any better there's a reason after getting quite a bit of PT in 2017, he has barely played since then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dislike the "camp body" reference although it's been used as long as I can remember.

The opportunity to make it in the NFL means a lot to those players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sure I know him.

I know Logan Woodside beat him off the Titans squad and when they waived McDonald didn't even want him on their PS. When you can't make the PS of the team that just drafted you in a season when it's enlarged there's something wrong. I know he then had a tryout for the Panthers and they decided to go with some rookie called Tommy Stevens instead. I know we tried him out in August and didn't see enough for a PS spot in a Covid year.

There's not much upside there.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was always a fan of Kaiser Wilhelm. Thought he would have made a great b/u QB for the Cards back in the day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson