Palmer almost a Cardinal

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Still like a QB in the draft....but would settle for a later round pick.

Palmer should make us a better team.....along of course with the draft and o-line improvements.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wanted to trade for him instead of Kolb 2 yrs ago anyway so I like this deal. He is a WAY better player even at his age than Kolb will ever be.

Now fix the OLine!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Just curious how the heck are we goignt to pay him? we just chucked starting money at Stanton because he was Arains boy..... ummm this makes no freakin sense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just curious how the heck are we goignt to pay him? we just chucked starting money at Stanton because he was Arains boy..... ummm this makes no freakin sense.

Stanton is getting #2 QB pay, he isn't being paid like a starter.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
If the draft isn't o-line heavy after this deal I'll probably burn a kangol.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Stanton IS NOT making starter money. He is on a 3 year $9M contract. That is $3M/year and that is far from starter money..

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Also according to spotrac.com the Cardinals are currently 12M under the cap. Factor in about 4M or so will go to draft picks and there you have it. 8M to Palmer and 4M to draft picks and we have our roster.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm totaly pumped about this trade. A little fix on the line and Palmer with Fitz, Floyd ,Roberts and Housler go up in production. I thought we would win 4-6 games this year. If Palmer deal is made we can go 7-10 wins.

GBR

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We still have room, however if we got Dumervil we wouldn't have the room.

But we also have to remember that our cap figure includes the 2 million for Hoyer, who would be most likely gone to help pay for draft picks.

Though I bet Cribbs would still be on our radar and shouldn't cost that much. (and Cribbs makes even more sense with a Palmer in the fold)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still have room, however if we got Dumervil we wouldn't have the room.

But we also have to remember that our cap figure includes the 2 million for Hoyer, who would be most likely gone to help pay for draft picks.

Though I bet Cribbs would still be on our radar and shouldn't cost that much. (and Cribbs makes even more sense with a Palmer in the fold)

Don't forget, Hoyer can still be traded or released and it does not count against our cap. That is $2 million right there.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't forget, Hoyer can still be traded or released and it does not count against our cap. That is $2 million right there.
It's actually more like 1.5M because one of those .5M dollar contracts would move into the top 51. Also CardsFan88 accounted for that in his post.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Oops coulda sworn read somewher Stanton had a 3 year 20 mil deal with us, still not elite starter money but, alas. Palmer is an immidiate upgrade, his recievers with AZ are far and away better than the Raiders. He is a very good QB and if we protect him maybe we can be competative, but he will still be playing catchup due to the awfulness of our defense next year.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oops coulda sworn read somewher Stanton had a 3 year 20 mil deal with us, still not elite starter money but, alas. Palmer is an immidiate upgrade, his recievers with AZ are far and away better than the Raiders. He is a very good QB and if we protect him maybe we can be competative, but he will still be playing catchup due to the awfulness of our defense next year.
His contract is designed to where if he reached all his incentives he would get something like 26M, but bringing Palmer in would make that virtually impossible.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Exactly

Then we choose between Lindley, Skelton, or more likely door #3 a low round draft choice like Renfree.

I'd be pretty stoked as I've been hoping for Palmer/Stanton/Draft pick for our QB's next year. C'mon Warmack!

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We'll see about the defense. I hated to see Wilson go because he was a CARDINAL. But as others have said his production had fallen especially since he couldn't blow up receivers thus making the middle off limits to opposing pass catchers. Rhodes was out most of the time the Cards defense was turning it on in 2011 so he can't have been that critical (It just drives me nuts to see posters who called Rhodes the best player on our defense turn on him as soon as he was released.)

Lenon had to be replaced, he was just getting too old for the NFL. Cason is our annual Rent-A-CB. So the production there shouldn't fall off.

Everything comes down to Bowles. Is he as good as Horton? Just don't know enough about Bowles to say. I do know that Horton was awesome and concocted the best defense Cardinal fans have seen since 1994.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm usually against retreads, but given that our one true QB in the last several decades was a retread, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.