Pac-10 officials suck

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bayless was whacked on the arm and no call and Hill with a clean block was called for the foul. Billy Packer and Jim Nantz both said they were bad calls.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I don't like to blame the refs but that was terrible. EVERYTIME LOVE took a shot we got called for a foul. Call it both ways!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayless was whacked on the arm and no call and Hill with a clean block was called for the foul. Billy Packer and Jim Nantz both said they were bad calls.

Yep those were both bad calls, I also thought the continuation call on Love's 3 point play was bad, it was amazing he made the shot but it shouldn't have counted the foul was on the floor.

I was very impressed with UA I thought UCLA was going to put them away early but they didn't quit and they fought hard to get back. UA deserves a bid IMHO you have to remember they had so many injuries.

Very impressed with Chase today that's the first time he's really played well against UCLA.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep those were both bad calls, I also thought the continuation call on Love's 3 point play was bad, it was amazing he made the shot but it shouldn't have counted the foul was on the floor.

I was very impressed with UA I thought UCLA was going to put them away early but they didn't quit and they fought hard to get back. UA deserves a bid IMHO you have to remember they had so many injuries.

Very impressed with Chase today that's the first time he's really played well against UCLA.

Hopefully Wise will be available next week because they need to at leat get a split and then win a Pac-10 tournament game.

By the way, did you hear KO and Lute are not evening talking anymore. KO is definitely gone after this year. I think with Lute coming back, Chase might stay one more year.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The news just mentioned that Seth Davis reported that Lute and KO are not talking and KO will probably not be back next year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Well, if Livengood has any say it will be Lute out and KO in next season.

Gotta love Jimmy Livengood. What else need to be said about a guy who spent the last calendar year firmly entrenching himself with Mike Stoops and Kevin O'Neill?

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
The news just mentioned that Seth Davis reported that Lute and KO are not talking and KO will probably not be back next year.

Good, he's a terrible coach. He doesn't play zone D and the offensive scheme is offensive to watch. Let's get Lute back there with the class he's got coming in and hopefully in a couple years we'll give the job to Few.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pac 10 officials do suck but Billy Packer is an ass. UCLA under Howland ALWAYS gets more calls in their favor than against.

Fact of life. UA and ASU had better get used to it. Like the whiny Coach K at Duke in the ACC, Howland now gets special treatment by the conference refs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pac 10 officials do suck but Billy Packer is an ass. UCLA under Howland ALWAYS gets more calls in their favor than against.

Fact of life. UA and ASU had better get used to it. Like the whiny Coach K at Duke in the ACC, Howland now gets special treatment by the conference refs.

While I generally wish ASU well in hoops, I have to laugh whenever they play UCLA - ASU could have hired Howland back when they hired Evans, but the AD was fixated on a "big school coach", and wouldn't give an up and coming coach from a "minor" school like NAU the time of day.

When Pitt hired Howland, some Pitt fans were making the same complaint - I told them that Howland would have a Big East title and Sweet 16 within four years - it took Howland three to accomplish that.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Phil Jackson calls it a license to mug. UCLA plays so physical all the time that refs only seem to notice when it's over the top. Some of the hip checks their bigs get away when they hedge is absolutely ludicrous. Of course they won't be able to get away with that in the NBA and Howland's micro-management of the offense has to be unlearned as well in the pros. That's probably why Howland has such a poor track record of producing players that can contribute right away in the league but of course that's not his job.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did he get that treatment from Big East refs too? If so can we please hear your theory on why?

Why did refs in the Pac 10 suddenly decide to give UCLA calls because they hired Howland, does he have revealing pics? Does Howland threaten the families of Pac 10 refs like the mafia? Why weren't they giving this to Lavin?

And why you're at it maybe you'd care to explain to USC fans why their loss to ASU isn't tainted by the same ref bias you're claiming for UCLA? Afterall ASU shot 39 FT's in the game, USC shot 11, ASU was called for 14 fouls, USC 28, 4 USC players fouled out a 5th had 4 fouls, nobody on ASU got more than 3. Yes playing matchup zone does tend to limit fouls but 39 to 11 in FT's, that has to be "special treatment" right? I mean they were so blatantly favoring ASU that both Floyd and Jefferson got T's over it, just ask a USC fan they're still complaining about it, they're organizing an email campaign to complain to the dean of Pac 10 refs about that game.

The reality is good teams are generally ahead and thus get fouled alot by the team they're ahead of, and when you shoot near 75% as a team from the line that's a lot of free throws late in games. UCLA shoots a ton of FT's this year for one reason, Kevin Love, he has 210 FTA in 29 games, the next highest on the team is Westbrook at 106. Without Love UCLA goes back to what they were the last 2 years, a team with no post scorer depending on jumpers and defense to win, but without Afflalo their most reliable jumpshooter. Luckily they have Love and he's very good at drawing fouls.

But if it helps you to believe that it's just a product of biased officiating so be it. The comparison to Duke is comical, Duke has been one of the most 3 point happy teams in the country the last few years and still made more FT's than their opponents shot most years, UCLA is doing that this year for the first time ever under Ben, entirely because of the presence of Kevin Love.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And to follow up that point, per the LA Times, Tim Floyd has officially complained to the Pac 10 about the refs in the ASU game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sorry I mistakenly thought this was the ASU board not the UA board.

Wouldn't have posted that in this thread if I'd realized what group I was in.

My only excuse is I'm still jet lagging from my trip to Australia.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sorry I mistakenly thought this was the ASU board not the UA board.

Wouldn't have posted that in this thread if I'd realized what group I was in.

My only excuse is I'm still jet lagging from my trip to Australia.

I meant that Floyd is "pounding sand'' if he thinks that complaining about the refs to the PAC-10 is going to accomplish anything. PAC-10 refs have been bad for decades.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant that Floyd is "pounding sand'' if he thinks that complaining about the refs to the PAC-10 is going to accomplish anything. PAC-10 refs have been bad for decades.

Gotcha.

I agree won't change anything.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil Jackson calls it a license to mug. UCLA plays so physical all the time that refs only seem to notice when it's over the top. Some of the hip checks their bigs get away when they hedge is absolutely ludicrous. Of course they won't be able to get away with that in the NBA and Howland's micro-management of the offense has to be unlearned as well in the pros. That's probably why Howland has such a poor track record of producing players that can contribute right away in the league but of course that's not his job.

We often disagree but you nailed that one.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The call at the end of the 2nd half was just horrible. Stanford got screwed bigtime.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The call at the end of the 2nd half was just horrible. Stanford got screwed bigtime.

Even Collison admitted that was a clean block. Oh well, UA got hosed on a block call against Stanford so it evens out.

The PAC-10 needs to review with its officials exactly what a block is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you mean Farmar, he came out early, he was 20 last year as a rookie and needed to physically mature. He's contributing much better this year. Afflalo played 3 years and then played valuable minutes for Detroit this year early when they had injuries, he's not athletic enough to ever be a great player but Howland got the most out of him. Great defender, inconsistent shooter, Howland's offense got him a lot of good shots you'll note he's having trouble getting his own shot in the NBA?

Howland took Ryan Hollins from essentially a joke into an NBA player, he's done wonders with Mata-Real. Collison was unwanted by UA and is now probably a first round pick.

When Farmar joined the Lakers their coaches almost immediately commented on how surprised they were at how quickly he picked up the triangle offense and their defense. They specifically commented on how well prepared he was on that part of the game. Detroit's coaches have said the same thing about Afflalo they were amazed at how prepared he was they repeatedly talked about how well coached he was in college.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even Collison admitted that was a clean block. Oh well, UA got hosed on a block call against Stanford so it evens out.

The PAC-10 needs to review with its officials exactly what a block is.

Yeah I'm hoping all the ESPN hype over this call forces the Pac 10 to start assessing their refs and make some changes. The whole game was called poorly but that last call was atrocious.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
well, if anyone watched teh end of that Stanford/UCLA game last night; it would be very difficult to not think that the Refs were favoring the Bruins in that game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If you mean Farmar, he came out early, he was 20 last year as a rookie and needed to physically mature. He's contributing much better this year. Afflalo played 3 years and then played valuable minutes for Detroit this year early when they had injuries, he's not athletic enough to ever be a great player but Howland got the most out of him. Great defender, inconsistent shooter, Howland's offense got him a lot of good shots you'll note he's having trouble getting his own shot in the NBA?

Howland took Ryan Hollins from essentially a joke into an NBA player, he's done wonders with Mata-Real. Collison was unwanted by UA and is now probably a first round pick.

When Farmar joined the Lakers their coaches almost immediately commented on how surprised they were at how quickly he picked up the triangle offense and their defense. They specifically commented on how well prepared he was on that part of the game. Detroit's coaches have said the same thing about Afflalo they were amazed at how prepared he was they repeatedly talked about how well coached he was in college.
Afflalo is doing next to nothing for the Pistons (although he is behind probably the best backcourt in the NBA). Farmar couldn't beat out Smush Parker in his rookie year. Ryan Hollins is about as much of an NBA player as Loren Woods. I don't see why some UCLA fans are so skittish about admitting Howland's style does not work in the NBA. It's a league that promotes individual basketball which goes against everything Howland does.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Afflalo is doing next to nothing for the Pistons (although he is behind probably the best backcourt in the NBA). Farmar couldn't beat out Smush Parker in his rookie year. Ryan Hollins is about as much of an NBA player as Loren Woods. I don't see why some UCLA fans are so skittish about admitting Howland's style does not work in the NBA. It's a league that promotes individual basketball which goes against everything Howland does.

I wouldn't mind Farmar as a backup PG to Nash on the Suns. That really isn't saying much as whoever would be drafted/signed by the Suns wouldn't get much minutes with Mike D as the coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson