Our franchise QB

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hurts also has a fantastic OL and AJ Brown. Kyler played better than Hurts could dream of through 8 games last season until Hopkins went down. Let's see what Hurts does without AJB. Wait, we saw that last year and Hurts sucked.

But this board will always compare Kyler to whoever the flavor of the week is, so he can never reach your standards. What happened to all of the Joe Burrow comparisons? He's playing like **** so we find whoever is doing well and blame Kyler for not doing better than that. Goofy behavior.
Ill trade Murray for Burrow right now. Too bad the Bengals won’t.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Question: based on his play, how many QBs in the league would you not trade Murray for?

Mayfield, Wentz, the 2 Jones ?, Tannehill, Ryan, Rush???, Mariotta, Mills, fields, Winston ?

Our 250$ million QB shouldn’t be in that convo. Yet, he is.
people are mentioning him with Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers, win something before you sniff that group.

Attachments

• 1665528825977.jpeg
    1665528825977.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 3

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Question: based on his play, how many QBs in the league would you not trade Murray for?

Mayfield, Wentz, the 2 Jones ?, Tannehill, Ryan, Rush???, Mariotta, Mills, fields, Winston ?

Our 250$ million QB shouldn’t be in that convo. Yet, he is.
people are mentioning him with Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers, win something before you sniff that group.
To be fair, you created the conversation. No one is like, "who would immediately say yes to a trade for Murray?" It's the opposite of the real conversation. That said, here are the starting(ish) QBs I'd rather have Murray than (regardless of contract):

Jimmy G
Geno Smith
Tua Tagovailoa*
Jalen Hurts*
Trevor Lawrence*
Jared Goff
Jacoby Brissett
Deshaun Watson
Kirk Cousins*
Cooper Rush
Derek Carr
Ryan Tannehill
Marcus Mariota
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott (this is a change for me)
Jameis Winston
Matt Jones
Daniel Jones
Mitchell Trubisky
Matt Ryan
Justin Fields
Baker Mayfield
Kenny Pickett
Bailey Zappe
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance

I guess the conclusion that I take from the question is that we shouldn't be mentioning Kyler among the top 3 QBs in the NFL — but should we consider him among the next five? The next 10?

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All in all, Kyler needs to get better at being a leader. Stop saying & doing all the wrong things. Don’t pout at your teammate(like the Ertz miss in the 1st half for example). There’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance & Kyler has shown the latter part of it for the most part.
This

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's honestly hard to imagine how Kyler can see the field in this situation. He has to know where Rondale is going to be on the route and trust that he's going to be there.

Kyler just isn't a rhythm and timing passer. He has to see a guy open or know that he has a 1:1 matchup and signal to the deep play. Hard to make that successful in the long term. That's why he's either throwing short checkdowns or yeeting it up the field.

Exactly. The difference between a good QB and a bad one is reading the defense pre snap, adjusting your reads accordingly and knowing where your guy is likely to get open.

This play above is well designed. Puts the slot corner in conflict with Eno in the flat. It's an indictment that in a 2 minute drill the CB thinks Kyler is more likely to check it down that make the shot to Rondale, and so goes with Eno.

You just don't pay QB's with this level of dysfunction in their game $45.1m a year. You only pay them that once they have shown they have a grasp of this aspect.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. I think naming him a captain proves something.

Have you heard of any of his teammates say anything bad about him? I haven't.

I didn't say it was the main reason why. You can't quantify why in a single sentence. Kyler got a lot of flack before he would slide feet first before a first down, or admit that he didn't watch film.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of criticism has ALWAYS been there, justified or not.

I haven't heard teammates say anything bad about Baker Mayfield, Mitch Trubisky or David Mills either. It's just not something players do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, you created the conversation. No one is like, "who would immediately say yes to a trade for Murray?" It's the opposite of the real conversation. That said, here are the starting(ish) QBs I'd rather have Murray than (regardless of contract):

Jimmy G
Geno Smith
Tua Tagovailoa*
Jalen Hurts*
Trevor Lawrence*
Jared Goff
Jacoby Brissett
Deshaun Watson
Kirk Cousins*
Cooper Rush
Derek Carr
Ryan Tannehill
Marcus Mariota
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott (this is a change for me)
Jameis Winston
Matt Jones
Daniel Jones
Mitchell Trubisky
Matt Ryan
Justin Fields
Baker Mayfield
Kenny Pickett
Bailey Zappe
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance

I guess the conclusion that I take from the question is that we shouldn't be mentioning Kyler among the top 3 QBs in the NFL — but should we consider him among the next five? The next 10?

I would definitely rather have Kyler than whoever Matt Jones is.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The clothing thing is absolutely stupid...however, when you're a NFL QB who is struggling as much as Kyler is struggling, and frankly, quit on his team in his only playoff appearance, the clothing issue only raises the chances for more scrutiny to come your way. I mean, if Kyler was winning, or has a playoff win under his belt, I really don't think the clothing topic would be one that gets so much focus.
If she hadn't dressed that way, it wouldn't have happened. She deserved it.

Yes, I know thats NOT what youre saying, but it sure sounds an awful lot like it. "Perform better and you can wear what you want."

The clothing issue should be on NO ONE'S tongue. No ones. Its 100% irrelevant and is only being used by people both as a racial dog whistle, and for nothing other than to grind another human down.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If she hadn't dressed that way, it wouldn't have happened. She deserved it.

Yes, I know thats NOT what youre saying, but it sure sounds an awful lot like it. "Perform better and you can wear what you want."

The clothing issue should be on NO ONE'S tongue. No ones. Its 100% irrelevant and is only being used by people both as a racial dog whistle, and for nothing other than to grind another human down.
I don’t believe my comments run counter to yours. I agree with you.
That said, IMHO, Kyler’s shortcomings on the field only invite more stupid and potentially racially-toned commentary about his attire.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. KM thought he had a first down.
2. The Cards on and off the field were screaming 'spike' because they too thought he'd gained 10.
3. KM had mere seconds to decide.
4. So... what do you do?
They didn’t have mere seconds. They had 25 seconds, plenty of time to confirm a first down or not. On third down they had two choices.
1. Run a play which would have been nice to have ready.
2. Let the clock run down to 3 seconds so if the kick was good there wouldn’t be any time for the Eagles.
So, recapping what went wrong.
1. Kyler made the wrong decision by sliding too early or heading toward the sidelines.
2. Both Kyler and Kliff not confirming whether it was first or third down with 25 seconds left.
3. Kliff not having a 3rd down play ready to go. What would he have done if Kyler slipped and was tackled for no gain?
4. Not running the clock down for an attempt to tie the game.
5. Keim bringing in the wrong kicker.
Not conducive to a winning formula on any level.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us would also like to enjoy the message board and not have to deal with the constant vitriol.

It would be one thing if this was unique but this board has a history of sucking the life out of any happiness.
Warner vs Leinart.
K1 vs Rosen.
The general HATE for K1 from day 1.
BA - Criticized him constantly then complain when the Cardinals get rid of him.
I could go on and on and on and on. It's always doom and gloom.
Disdain for Kyler started when he pulled his pouting attitude, scrubbing his social platform amongst other things. People and fans don’t like whiners.
He brought this on and the minute he signed a 245m contract he was put on point. His “ happiness” seemed a little weak except for the fact that he got paid.
There’s one way to stop the vitriol. Start playing like a 245m Qb.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol... you can create your own fantasy land where players in NFL games with 22 seconds and the clock running calmly wait 10 seconds for the officials to figure out the down an distance while their coaches are yelling in the mic to spike it, but I don't have to live in it with you. That type of thing doesn't happen. And guess what, after they found out it was 3rd and 1 they would need to call a sideline throw to pick up the conversion and then communicate all of that to the wide receivers while the clock runs out. Ridiculous. The problem with the two play series of events was the slide, not the spike. "Not sure if I can dumb it down for you any further".
Well then it was dumb to clock it at 22seconds. Kick is good, game is tied and Eagles have 22 seconds to maybe get into fg range.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disdain for Kyler started when he pulled his pouting attitude, scrubbing his social platform amongst other things. People and fans don’t like whiners.
He brought this on and the minute he signed a 245m contract he was put on point. His “ happiness” seemed a little weak except for the fact that he got paid.

If Kyler is playing better, even just to the average of his 2020 and 2021 seasons, we beat the Rams and Eagles and this team is 4-1 right now.

That's the crux of it for me. In my opinion everyone else did their jobs and Kyler let the whole team down.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

To be fair - the disdain for Kyler started the day he got drafted.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Yes there were some but he turn that around with his play and his potential to improve.
Like him or not like him he has not been the same Qb since game 12 or 13 of last year. It appears he has actually regressed.
I understood the rookie mistakes as most of us did. But even last year he was still running out of bound behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing it away. It also has become a focus of contention of him throwing to the wrong guy. Add now over or under throwing his Wr.
Nobody here WANTS him to fail. He could be the biggest jerk in the NFL if he is playing like a $245m Qb.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then it was dumb to clock it at 22seconds. Kick is good, game is tied and Eagles have 22 seconds to maybe get into fg range.
Exactly. With timeouts, too.

Why would you assume they'd just take a knee rather than take some shots across the middle to their TE?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'll always recall the large amount of preemptive borderline hate he got during many discussions with the few of us who wanted him on this board before the draft. I get the criticism. But what I witnessed, wasn't that IMO. I'm sure some or even a lot of that emotion doesn't just disappear over time..

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Kyler is playing better, even just to the average of his 2020 and 2021 seasons, we beat the Rams and Eagles and this team is 4-1 right now.

That's the crux of it for me. In my opinion everyone else did their jobs and Kyler let the whole team down.

Kyler is playing pretty much exactly how he did in 2020 and 2021. He's made a couple of improvements around the margins, taking fewer deep sacks, not running out of bounds behind the LOS, etc. but nothing major. I'd like to see him improving more but i dont think thats possible without quality NFL coaching. The difference between this season and 2020/the beginning of last season is having an elite wide receiver versus not having one.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the most ardent Kyler supporters don't put him in the top 3 QBs. Most don't even put him until close to the top 10. The people that mention him in the top 3 are the 'non-supporters' of Kyler when talking about his salary.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler is playing pretty much exactly how he did in 2020 and 2021. He's made a couple of improvements around the margins, taking fewer deep sacks, not running out of bounds behind the LOS, etc. but nothing major. I'd like to see him improving more but i dont think thats possible without quality NFL coaching. The difference between this season and 2020/the beginning of last season is having an elite wide receiver versus not having one.

This is a wild statement completely unhinged from reality. Kyler's completion percentage is 1.4% lower than it was in 2020 and 2021. His YPA is almost two yards less (5.8 vs 7.5). His passer rating is 13 points lower. His intended air yards per attempt is almost 2 yards shorter than it was those years. His TD percentage is almost two points lower.

The only things that are better now than the past two years is his interception percentage is lower and his sack rate is lower.

Even the most ardent Kyler supporters don't put him in the top 3 QBs. Most don't even put him until close to the top 10. The people that mention him in the top 3 are the 'non-supporters' of Kyler when talking about his salary.

I think that Kyler's most ardent supporters think that he's among the second tier of QBs with Burrow and Herbert. I disagree with that, and it's a pretty fine line between being the NFL's eighth-best QB and the 12th.

FWIW, Kyler's apologists pretty consistently say "Well I guess Patrick Mahomes has never missed an open read" or "Tom Brady forgot the down just last season!"

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A failed college HC + a soft QB afraid to get hit + neither of them really knowing if they had gotten the first down (and should have taken the two seconds to clarify) = Cards loss. They put the team in the hands of a street kicker with their incompetence.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I know that Jalen was down but are you saying that in these circumstances, a team automatically loses a timeout?
yes

and if they are out of timeouts... there is often a 10 second runoff of the time clock

though I gotta admit I forget the exact details on tthe runoff.

they do this because years ago teams would have guys fake injury so the clock would stop... then the guy would sit out his one play and come back in just fine. so they started penalizing teams for injuries during the final 2 minutes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a pretty well documented rift Baker and OBJ.

And despite that I don't believe he ever said anything about him publicly.

The point being we would likely never know how the locker room feels about Kyler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard