OT: Cam Newton Released

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What has who the players like and what is good for the locker room got to do with each other?

Why would you want a young starting QB in Kyler Murray and a backup who's all about himself and "Look at me! Look at me!"?

The best franchise in the NFL didn't want that for their young QB, why would we?
You're half right and half wrong.

You sound salty because the guy is into fashion. Patriots didnt let him go because he's into himself. They said he's too popular to be the backup QB. Meaning its hard for Mac to take ownership of the lockerrom when there are still players on that team who view him as MVP Cam Newton they grew up watching.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From a football perspective, there is a lesson for Murray from Cam's career for longevity.

Unless a QB masters reading defenses and throwing the ball accurately, the QB is only as good as his athleticism. This is why it is so important starting this year to see Murray process the defense and starting using his arm more and more...... This applies to Lamar as well.

One more notio, 20 out of last 21 superbowls were won by QBs who use their arms first and legs next.
Well it already helps that Kyler doesn’t try to run through defenders like Cam did.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're half right and half wrong.

You sound salty because the guy is into fashion. Patriots didnt let him go because he's into himself. They said he's too popular to be the backup QB. Meaning its hard for Mac to take ownership of the lockerrom when there are still players on that team who view him as MVP Cam Newton they grew up watching.

How do I sound salty? His fashion sense is an extension of his personality. He's not dressing like he does because he's a shrinking violet.

His whole persona for his whole career has been "Look at me!" from the way he dresses, to his interviews, to the silly nicknames he gives everyone. He's walking clickbait.

I have no problem with that, in a starting QB. That's not what I want behind a young starter like Kyler still trying to find his feet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This idea that Kyler is inaccurate is one of the one of the great board myths.

He finished with a 67.2% completion percentage, which would be the highest of any starting Cardinals QB ever including Warner and Palmer.

That is a top 80 completion percentage of all time and he did it at 23. The only other person on that list and at that age is Dak Prescott. Josh Allen hit 69% at 24.

In the study I did back on Rosen's potential, Murray is a bit ahead on his completion percentage growth from 64.4 to 67.2 (Thanks DHop) but he should see another 1% to 1.5% growth again just based on historical QB performance.

I full expect a 69% completion season from Kyler in the next two years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What has who the players like and what is good for the locker room got to do with each other?

Why would you want a young starting QB in Kyler Murray and a backup who's all about himself and "Look at me! Look at me!"?

The best franchise in the NFL didn't want that for their young QB, why would we?

your projecting your own personal feelings about a player and guy on to other. I don’t like him so they must not like him either.

your saying he’s not a good locker room guy but yet all the players who have actually been in the locker room with him seem to speak very highly of him. So tell me how you get he’s not a good guy to have in the locker room?

even Schefter said this morning this was pretty much a favor to Cam so he can look for a starting job somewhere else. BB loves Cam that’s very well documented

you are clearly letting your personal feeling bring you to a narrative of a player that’s been flat out proven untrue over the last decade+.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
your projecting your own personal feelings about a player and guy on to other. I don’t like him so they must not like him either.

your saying he’s not a good locker room guy but yet all the players who have actually been in the locker room with him seem to speak very highly of him. So tell me how you get he’s not a good guy to have in the locker room?

even Schefter said this morning this was pretty much a favor to Cam so he can look for a starting job somewhere else. BB loves Cam that’s very well documented

you are clearly letting your personal feeling bring you to a narrative of a player that’s been flat out proven untrue over the last decade+.

1. I like him just fine
2. Where did I say he wasn't a good locker room guy? There's a difference between being liked by team mates and being a distraction for the franchise

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From a football perspective, there is a lesson for Murray from Cam's career for longevity.

Unless a QB masters reading defenses and throwing the ball accurately, the QB is only as good as his athleticism. This is why it is so important starting this year to see Murray process the defense and starting using his arm more and more...... This applies to Lamar as well.

One more notio, 20 out of last 21 superbowls were won by QBs who use their arms first and legs next.

KM completion % was #8 amongst QB's with 16 appearances in 2020. At 67% - up 3% over 2019, and ahead of Mahomes, Brady, Ryan, Big Ben, Stafford, and others.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He finished with a 67.2% completion percentage, which would be the highest of any starting Cardinals QB ever including Warner and Palmer.

That is a top 80 completion percentage of all time and he did it at 23. The only other person on that list and at that age is Dak Prescott. Josh Allen hit 69% at 24.

In the study I did back on Rosen's potential, Murray is a bit ahead on his completion percentage growth from 64.4 to 67.2 (Thanks DHop) but he should see another 1% to 1.5% growth again just based on historical QB performance.

Yes and no. His aDot is very low which boosts his completion percentage. At the same time he's above average over 20 yards.

He does struggle in the 10-20 yard range though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Nice.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. His aDot is very low which boosts his completion percentage. At the same time he's above average over 20 yards.

7.1 YPA isn't the checkdown charlie that people think. If he adds a half a yard, which he will by normal growth, he will be in the top 10 of the league.

Absolutely his mid range is where he will improve as he grows. That is normal for a QB and it is how he will hit that 69% mark.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How do I sound salty? His fashion sense is an extension of his personality. He's not dressing like he does because he's a shrinking violet.

His whole persona for his whole career has been "Look at me!" from the way he dresses, to his interviews, to the silly nicknames he gives everyone. He's walking clickbait.

I have no problem with that, in a starting QB. That's not what I want behind a young starter like Kyler still trying to find his feet.

The fact that he was coachable by BB and very well liked by BB, says a lot. It says he's able to check his ego at the door and work. From day one in New England, he was known to be 1st in and last out of the building. BB wouldn't have even brought him back this year, if he didn't like coaching him AND think he was coachable and good for the team. Once Mac fell into their lap, it was only a matter of time, though. I don't think Cam would have intentionally divided the locker room, but it likely would have happened, because of his popularity with players and coaches.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that he was coachable by BB and very well liked by BB, says a lot. It says he's able to check his ego at the door and work. From day one in New England, he was known to be 1st in and last out of the building. BB wouldn't have even brought him back this year, if he didn't like coaching him AND think he was coachable and good for the team. Once Mac fell into their lap, it was only a matter of time, though. I don't think Cam would have intentionally divided the locker room, but it likely would have happened, because of his popularity with players and coaches.

As I said. I've no problem with who Cam is but they are not qualities you want in a backup.

Which is probably why BB didn't keep him as backup over Hoyer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Without knowing what happened behind close doors, I'd imagine that BB told Cam that Mac Jones was going to be the starter and I bet Newton probably asked for his release so that he could pursue a starting job elsewhere.

The Texans would make perfect sense as others have pointed out.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I wonder if this is because those midrange throws are usually his last gasp option...I mean, most of his designed play calls are short passes or screens, or developing plays downfield. When he's scrambling, it seems to me that's when he's looking for someone in between, at or near the 1st down marker. He's throwing those on the run and they are well covered. IDK...just thinking.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cam may have a problem because he's not vaccinated. He's already had COVID and had a "miscommunication" about it just a couple of weeks ago. QB, even the backup, is too valuable a position to have a lengthy COVID episode during the season.

He needs to get vaccinated to get a job more than likely.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the right move by the Patriots.

Cam is no longer a starting NFL QB, the question is will he accept that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't think Broncos would pick him up since they have Bridgewater but their qb situation has been pretty dismal the last few years.

Bridgewater is a way better QB than Cam at this point.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If you have heard of the story, you get it.

Attachments

• E672594A-AAF0-40EF-88FF-7D9DEBC83095.jpeg
    E672594A-AAF0-40EF-88FF-7D9DEBC83095.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 3

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Pats brought him back in the first place.

No one was worse on passes of 20+ yards last year.

His 8 passing TDs in 15 starts was the fewest in as many starts in nearly 2 decades.

Cam doesn't just suck, he historically sucks.

He's done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard