Osweiler transferring?!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Some rumors that Brock is considering transferring.

Sorry to be vague and not sure it has legs but hearing some interesting rumors regarding ASU QB Brock Osweiler

Again, not sure if it has legs but heard from two fairly reliable sources so we'll see what if anything happens with it

Not sure he'll pull a Dayne Crist (graduated and able to play right away) and transfer but there are some intriguing schools very interested

https://twitter.com/#!/GregBiggins/status/154305757767143424
https://twitter.com/#!/GregBiggins/status/154308939050254336
https://twitter.com/#!/GregBiggins/status/154308776621645824

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I personally don't think he'll leave, but he and Mazzone had a close relationship and I'm sure he's pretty upset that ASU didn't retain him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a casual follower of ASU's football program, I think he's overrated. He seems to have terrible feet in the pocket and doesn't utilize his size well. I don't think it's going to be the end of the world if he walks.

JMHO

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a casual follower of ASU's football program, I think he's overrated. He seems to have terrible feet in the pocket and doesn't utilize his size well. I don't think it's going to be the end of the world if he walks.

JMHO

I have felt this way as well, at least for the ASU offense. It seems RB Cameron Marshall was injured most of the season. The Sun Devils could have used a QB that was more prone to run to give them more of a run threat. Also another way to look at it, the Sun Devils needed more depth at RB.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JMHO

I'm not sure how he's overrated since he's received few if any accolades. I think his feet are just OK (but not terrible), and when you're 6-foot-8 you have room to fudge.

If he leaves it just accelerates the move to the spread option, and I'm not really convinced any QB on the roster is suited for it at this level. Eubank ran this offense in high school but he's slower than Oz. I guess it would fall on Berc, who has good speed for a drop-back QB but is pretty slow for an option QB ... 4.7 40 type of guy.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have felt this way as well, at least for the ASU offense. It seems RB Cameron Marshall was injured most of the season. The Sun Devils could have used a QB that was more prone to run to give them more of a run threat. Also another way to look at it, the Sun Devils needed more depth at RB.

Oz is one of the most athletic QBs ASU's ever had, and it always seems kind of counterintuitive to winning football to suggest a team needs more of a running QB to better the offense. ASU simply needed better execution across the board.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oz is not transferring. He's pondering his NFL draft status, if only to get feedback on what he needs to work on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oz is one of the most athletic QBs ASU's ever had, and it always seems kind of counterintuitive to winning football to suggest a team needs more of a running QB to better the offense. ASU simply needed better execution across the board.

I don't believe I suggested that Oz is not athletic. However, the Sun Devils needed more balance running the ball and a running QB could have provided more balance. The key point I was making, the Sun Devils needed a running attack this past season. Actually, solving the running game would allow a QB like Oz to run a balanced attack. Sadly it just wasn't there. QB is the least of the Sun Devils problems.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't he a senior next year? Which means he'd run out of eligibility. he'd have to take next year off.

NCAA allows transfers to move on without losing a year as long as they:

- Have graduated
- Have eligibility left
- Are moving to a school with a masters program not offered at the previous school
- Will not have their scholarship renewed by the first university

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
NCAA allows transfers to move on without losing a year as long as they:

- Have graduated
- Have eligibility left
- Are moving to a school with a masters program not offered at the previous school
- Will not have their scholarship renewed by the first university
If you transfer within the conference, NCAA requires the player to sit a year, regardless if they're graduated or eligible, correct?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you transfer within the conference, NCAA requires the player to sit a year, regardless if they're graduated or eligible, correct?

No. The Pac conference rules require you to sit out a year in addition to whatever the NCAA requires. It's why it's two years for undergraduates to transfer within conference, and it still requires the first school to release them to that new school.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to ASU, so I might need someone to draw me a picture explaining what happens if Osweiler transfers...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU sports needs scorched earth anyway. 6-whatever with him 6-whatever without him.

The guy just set a school record for yardage and touchdowns for a first-year starter. I wouldn't lay this season at his feet.

Burfict, on the other hand, can't get out of Tempe fast enough for my taste. Locker room lawyer tainted the entire defense. Even G-Rob says so.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy just set a school record for yardage and touchdowns for a first-year starter. I wouldn't lay this season at his feet.

Burfict, on the other hand, can't get out of Tempe fast enough for my taste. Locker room lawyer tainted the entire defense. Even G-Rob says so.
That was not my intention. But I don't think it would be the end of the world if he left.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was not my intention. But I don't think it would be the end of the world if he left.

If you believe as I do that Graham has MAYBE 2 seasons to produce better results, Oz leaving would really hurt. Two seasons of .500 or less ball and the entire administration is swept clean by the white-hot fury of fans who are still butt hurt over how this went down, and Graham is a lame duck coach waiting for a buyout regardless of what he does after this.

For the sake of the program, I hope Graham makes this work from the get-go. The program is fractured. I don't want to see thermonuclear meltdown.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you believe as I do that Graham has MAYBE 2 seasons to produce better results, Oz leaving would really hurt. Two seasons of .500 or less ball and the entire administration is swept clean by the white-hot fury of fans who are still butt hurt over how this went down, and Graham is a lame duck coach waiting for a buyout regardless of what he does after this.

For the sake of the program, I hope Graham makes this work from the get-go. The program is fractured. I don't want to see thermonuclear meltdown.

If that is what it takes to get Love et al out of there...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is what it takes to get Love et al out of there...

I'm all for that, but I don't think the program can take any more hits. At this point it's hemorrhaging boosters. The cost of removing current administration could be long-term damage to the program's ability to rebuild.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'm all for that, but I don't think the program can take any more hits. At this point it's hemorrhaging boosters. The cost of removing current administration could be long-term damage to the program's ability to rebuild.
If Graham has a bad 1st year, It's practically guaranteed that Lisa Love is out. Baseball, Football and Basketball have all regressed the past couple of years, and it's only getting worse. Would be nice to have a competent Athletic Department, but it is what it is...ASU is a laughing stock, and they could careless.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Most ppl saying Oz is declaring for the NFL tomorrow. Bad decision IMO, he still needs a lot of work...

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Devils Digest @DevilsDigest
Sources have confirmed that Brock Osweiler will hold a press conference Friday to announce that he is declaring for the NFL draft