Orhian Johnson - safety signed

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals sign Orhian Johnson to practice squad

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbYxn?...ium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arizona-cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals have signed safety Orhian Johnson to their practice squad.

Johnson, who will wear jersey No. 33, spent the preseason with the Houston Texans after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State.

------------------------------------

I hope it works out, but ... a guy from The Ohio State University who was cut by this year's Texans ...

:grabs:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Named after a constellation but his mother couldn't spell it correctly.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect much out of Johnson. He arrived at OSU as a QB and they switched him.

He has all the physical tools and athletic ability but never really did much on the field to stand out. He's a reliable, "do your job" type of player.

He was a 2 year starter and will be a solid guy that they won't have to worry about any off field issues.

Bottom line is he has potential. He's big and had adequate speed but lacks the instincts. He'll probably be more of an asset in the run game than the passing game.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How many people knew we had a guy named Jo Jo Dickson on our practice squad. I know I sure didn't. Jo Jo Dickson? Wasn't that Terry Bradshaw's girlfriend?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many people knew we had a guy named Jo Jo Dickson on our practice squad. I know I sure didn't. Jo Jo Dickson? Wasn't that Terry Bradshaw's girlfriend?

:lmao:

JoJo Starbuck was his second wife.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This signing made me think about prior signings and I noticed something different at least to me. In prior years they previous regime would have simply signed someone who was in camp that year and was cut citing familiar with the system as the reason.

It seems now that the FO is actively and constantly looking at players and signing guys they feel may have an opportunity to contribute or even make the roster next year. It appears that they actually take the PS roster seriously and try to fill it with potential future contributors.

There seems to be an actual process in place for looking at players around the league and cuts from other teams for players that may have been overlooked or for players that were cut because of a crowded position.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This signing made me think about prior signings and I noticed something different at least to me. In prior years they previous regime would have simply signed someone who was in camp that year and was cut citing familiar with the system as the reason.

It seems now that the FO is actively and constantly looking at players and signing guys they feel may have an opportunity to contribute or even make the roster next year. It appears that they actually take the PS roster seriously and try to fill it with potential future contributors.

There seems to be an actual process in place for looking at players around the league and cuts from other teams for players that may have been overlooked or for players that were cut because of a crowded position.

Yeah Keim talks about it all the time. Once a week, I think on Tuesdays, they fly guys in to work them out. Rank 'em, file 'em. Then when a guy goes down, go to the list and look up their top rated guy at the position, give him a call and find out if he's in shape and available.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah Keim talks about it all the time. Once a week, I think on Tuesdays, they fly guys in to work them out. Rank 'em, file 'em. Then when a guy goes down, go to the list and look up their top rated guy at the position, give him a call and find out if he's in shape and available.

Did not know this. Nice to see they do have a system in place to constantly scour the available players in a continuous effort to improve the team. I'm willing to bet this is something that has not been historically done before. Hope they have a similar system in place for college players.

A GM job is something Keim has always aspired to get to and now he is there. It would not surprise me if he spent time studying other teams methods while he was waiting in the wings for this opportunity so he would be ready for the GM position with as much knowledge as he could gather.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The Bidwills? Dollar Bill must not know about this. He'd be sending the guys a bill for the flight, water at the workout, rental on the practice facility, etc.

:p :D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bidwills? Dollar Bill must not know about this. He'd be sending the guys a bill for the flight, water at the workout, rental on the practice facility, etc.

:p :D

They have to bring their own shoes and socks too.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did not know this. Nice to see they do have a system in place to constantly scour the available players in a continuous effort to improve the team. I'm willing to bet this is something that has not been historically done before. Hope they have a similar system in place for college players.

A GM job is something Keim has always aspired to get to and now he is there. It would not surprise me if he spent time studying other teams methods while he was waiting in the wings for this opportunity so he would be ready for the GM position with as much knowledge as he could gather.

When I first heard this, somebody, I forgot who, commented that it's something that most teams do. Only new for the Cardinals.

Ballard, the new TE, is a perfect example. Here they talk about him being brought in for a tryout: http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/2020/source-te-ballard-tried-out-for-cards. Yet they didn't sign him. It sounds like they weren't feeling great about Housler. So they were sniffing around. That was mid-Oct. Then Jefferson gets a DUI a couple weeks later, they can Jefferson, and bring Ballard back.

Moch is another example of a guy they brought in for a routine workout and ended up liking.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When I first heard this, somebody, I forgot who, commented that it's something that most teams do. Only new for the Cardinals.

Ballard, the new TE, is a perfect example. Here they talk about him being brought in for a tryout: http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/2020/source-te-ballard-tried-out-for-cards. Yet they didn't sign him. It sounds like they weren't feeling great about Housler. So they were sniffing around. That was mid-Oct. Then Jefferson gets a DUI a couple weeks later, they can Jefferson, and bring Ballard back.

Moch is another example of a guy they brought in for a routine workout and ended up liking.

So far watching Keim operate really tells you how inept Graves was. I think the human snail was in love with being in the position of GM yet had no clue on how to be a GM. Its amazing this team ever won anything before.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with having SK as our GM. Duckjakes post alludes to the fact that Graves had a harder row to hoe since he wasn't given the resources SK has been given. Graves had to drag Bill St kicking and screaming into the 1980's and this was in 2001.

Having said that SK is a HUGE upgrade of Graves.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with having SK as our GM. Duckjakes post alludes to the fact that Graves had a harder row to hoe since he wasn't given the resources SK has been given. Graves had to drag Bill St kicking and screaming into the 1980's and this was in 2001.

Having said that SK is a HUGE upgrade of Graves.

Agree for the most part however Graves had 2-3 years with Michael to change things and never really did anything different before his dismissal. He had opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

Personally I think they weren't feeling to great about King. I think Arians likes Housler.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Texans didnt feel he could contribute as a DB, then hes about as good as a QB from Jacksonville

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard