Only TWO Pac-10 offensive linemen drafted.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Only THREE Pac-10 offensive linemen drafted.

Kwame Harris in the first and Makoa Freitas in the sixth.

That makes me wonder more about what Jon Jansen was saying about Suggs not going up against very good lineman. I was very worried during the draft when Jansen almost seemed like he didn't think much of him.

(EDIT: I skipped over Tercero somehow.....so THREE lineman....)

Last edited:

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Only 2 lineman from the entire conference for the entire draft? That's pretty bad. Miami had 4 players taken in the first round. Hard to believe they lost to Ohio State with talent like that.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
I thought there was at least a few more - Didn't Scott Tercero get selected?

You are correct, but he is the only other lineman......crappy year for lineman huh?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go through and list how many are underclassmen and how many if those underclassmen opted for the draft and I will think that is a fair assessment!

Plus out of those numbers how many were RT?

Gotta give the whole story and do all the research if you are going to come to such a conclusion Krang!

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Go through and list how many are underclassmen and how many if those underclassmen opted for the draft and I will think that is a fair assessment!

Plus out of those numbers how many were RT?

Gotta give the whole story and do all the research if you are going to come to such a conclusion Krang!

These are not my conclusions, I would never claim that.

These were Jon Jansen's conclusions on draft day, and something that Russ mentioned that should be questioned a long time ago, in regards to teams giving up so many sacks in the Pac 10.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
These are not my conclusions, I would never claim that.

These were Jon Jansen's conclusions on draft day, and something that Russ mentioned that should be questioned a long time ago, in regards to teams giving up so many sacks in the Pac 10.

I understand that Krang but you did make the post inferring that maybe there was some merit to his conclusion right?

All Im saying is that it is hard to come to such a conclusion unless these guys looked at the whole picture. Ya know what I mean?

Did these guys look at the # of starting underclassmen and how many of those are NFL prospects? I know overall the Pac 10 has developed some nice ones over the years. Heck ASU themselves has had many solid O-lineman over the years!

I know that doesnt equate to now but sometimes in college there are trends!

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
I understand that Krang but you did make the post inferring that maybe there was some merit to his conclusion right?

All Im saying is that it is hard to come to such a conclusion unless these guys looked at the whole picture. Ya know what I mean?

Did these guys look at the # of starting underclassmen and how many of those are NFL prospects? I know overall the Pac 10 has developed some nice ones over the years. Heck ASU themselves has had many solid O-lineman over the years!

I know that doesnt equate to now but sometimes in college there are trends!

Oh I totally understand that, but the Pac-10 olines weren't that highly regarded this year. ASU's oline consisted of mostly underclassmen, and they struggled against good opponents.

But the trend this year, was a down year for senior lineman in the Pac-10 and that definitely means the lines were lesser here compared to usual.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
One can only wonder how many sacks PACE would have had in the PAC-10, playing in a a 4-3 instead of a a 3-4?

Good question! The ACC is an underrated conference, with teams like Maryland, Florida State, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. I watch a lot of the southern schools, and the overall caliber of athlete is better.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not trying to be a prick here, because I'm more than willing to let the Suggs thing go, but........of the schools Wake Forest played, how many linemen were drafted?

Their opponents included the likes of Duke and East Carolina. I don't think the ACC is exactly an OL factory either.

Let's face it, this was just a dog-meat year for OL prospects.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Not trying to be a prick here, because I'm more than willing to let the Suggs thing go, but........of the schools Wake Forest played, how many linemen were drafted?

Their opponents included the likes of Duke and East Carolina. I don't think the ACC is exactly an OL factory either.

Oh, you are not being a prick....I think both of us are generally regarded by most as pricks, but I wear it as a badge of honor! :D

That is a very good point. Jordan Gross, in most years would be a late first rounder....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B

True. ANother point to look at is essentially EVERY Pac 10 linemen went lower than expected. Look at where Rien Long and Banta-Cain ended up! So essentially the NFL scouts looked at these guys and decided they may have talent but the sack #'s were not going to immediately translate to the NFL.

So it wasn't just Suggs' numbers being scrutinized it was everyone from the pac 10. Wonder about guys like Shaun Cody at USC who's only 275 and coming off knee surgery, will he face the same doubts when he comes out(he'll probably be a DE)?

As others pointed out Pace apparently played in a scheme that didn't exactly maximize his chances for sacks, Suggs played in a scheme designed to free him up to the QB, so it's hard to just compare the two.

I don't know much about Pace but the more I read the more I'm impressed, or maybe I'm just getting suckered.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn