Oklahoma Targeting Kliff Kingsbury for HC Vacancy

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the taxpayers of these overburdened states would be willing to shell out 10 million dollars per year of taxpayer money to a local college football coach, while highways crumble and schools fall apart and police and firemen do without.
Generally the money for these contracts come from boosters and TV money

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LSU gotta have somebody. That'll be some serious cashe too.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t see OK as attractive in the SEC. It hasn’t helped Texas A&M. Going to the East is easier, but maybe he’s seen GA play. This is merely a question of how big the money is. If Kingsbury is all about money; he goes. If not AZ is far more attractive.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see OK as attractive in the SEC. It hasn’t helped Texas A&M. Going to the East is easier, but maybe he’s seen GA play. This is merely a question of how big the money is. If Kingsbury is all about money; he goes. If not AZ is far more attractive.
A&M has actually recruited much better players than they ever did in the Big 12 or SWC. TV money is huge, stadium now over 100,000 and routinely sold out.
What good did it do Texas to stay in the Big 12? Worse records, embarrassing upsets, routinely outrecruited by A&M.

That said, other than Alabama, it's a bitch to win consistently in the SEC.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
If the cardinals give a good extension he likely stays. College ball is paying some good money though Harry. Whether OK is actually after KK or not is neither here nor there- the NCAA is having an impact on the market…

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No thanks.:)

Both my teams would be worse for it. Kliff's found his groove in the pros and OU should be able to find a quality candidate.

What do you think we'll do SoonerLou? Make a play for Aranda? Mark Stoops? Kiffen? Put Big Game Bob in as a caretaker for a year until we can figure it out?

Our great 2022 recruiting class is effing shot to hell I bet. Freaking Riley... I held him in such high regard. A little less so now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What do you think we'll do SoonerLou? Make a play for Aranda? Mark Stoops? Kiffen? Put Big Game Bob in as a caretaker for a year until we can figure it out?

Our great 2022 recruiting class is effing shot to hell I bet. Freaking Riley... I held him in such high regard. A little less so now.
Irony is I believe he was waiting on the Cards or Browns jobs if things went south. Instead both coaches are probably back to back coaches of the year.

I think Im ok with Bob taking over for a while. Provide stability and more importantly keep Caleb in house. You have a legit NC caliber QB and you cant do anything to lose him. We'll see though. Hoping for the best.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh. If the Cards were to lose 4 out of the last 6 games there would be a go fund me page to ship Kingsbury out of town.
Not to worried about this. Let’s get past the Bears.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@DVontel has this right. This is info released by his agent. These exploratory offers occur all the time between programs and agents without the HC knowing about them. Kliff's agent is leveraging for an extension, a raise, and is showing Kliff has big options out there. Kliff will likely deny knowledge of this which is why agents keep these convo's from their clients.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Unless you’re Nick Saban the worst NFL job is less stressful than the 2nd best CFB job. Entitled recruits, annoying parents/boosters, worse hours (recruiting), worrying about 75+ kids going to class and not getting in trouble etc etc etc…. You’d have to be massively overpaid to want that.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Look back on kliffs career...
He has always been about the pro game
Betcha a dollar he never coaches outside the nfl again

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff has in the past 2-3 weeks called his most amazing games...just from a play call standpoint. If he doesn't go for it on the stupid 4th down call in the Carolina game when it's 7-0 and us on our side of the field I think easily we could have won. That single call changed the whole game and his game plan. I think the commentator said it right....the first 15 plays you get an onslaught of KK plays ..you need to survive that. I loved the hire and continue to this day

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
@DVontel has this right. This is info released by his agent. These exploratory offers occur all the time between programs and agents without the HC knowing about them. Kliff's agent is leveraging for an extension, a raise, and is showing Kliff has big options out there. Kliff will likely deny knowledge of this which is why agents keep these convo's from their clients.
Goes without saying. Could've even been Kliff's agent posting from Schefter's phone. Nonetheless, the interest becomes real if Michael Bidwill does little to nothing in response.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Urban Meyer has no business in the NFL (in fact, I believe he loathed the idea) but I can give you 15 million reasons a year why he is. I’ve taken gigs for $450 a day over the $550 because the work at $450 was better for me, but when I’m offered $1200 a day, I do whatever they ask me to do and be whatever they want me to be. Nobody forfeits $50 million over a 10 year period because you like the weather in PV better than OK, or because you have to manage 21 yr olds instead of 25 yr olds… cards will need to pony up.
I dunno, at a certain point (for me at least), the work isn't worth the money. Kliff doesn't really have to work another day in his life. I'm making the most I ever have in my life and am considering taking up to a 50% paycut for less stressful work. If a company called me and offered me double the pay I'm making for more work, I'd politely decline. I'm at my limit.

Anything could happen. But money isn't everything, especially when you're set for life.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m getting really sick of people who never watched big 12 football say “look how it went for a&m and mizzou” a&m and mizzou had their moments in the big 12 but they weren’t powerhouses so of course they failed. Oklahoma will only benefit from going to the sec. They already have top 10 recruiting classes going there will just make it easier to recruit and they are already a consistent powerhouse.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score

Also an ou fan. I hope Riley fails just like every other usc coach. He’ll be fine because he’ll be a 38 year old multi millionaire so he can just retire but I hope his football career tanks. Ya I’m bitter.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Five-star quarterback Malachi Nelson, the No. 3-ranked prospect in the ESPN Junior 300 for the class of 2023, decommitted from Oklahoma on Sunday night, one of four commitments the Sooners lost in the hours following the news that Lincoln Riley had accepted the head-coaching job at USC.

Nelson, out of Los Alamitos High School in California, committed to Oklahoma in July but wrote on Twitter that he was decommitting "in light of the recent events and changes."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose