Official: Larry Fitzgerald is Coming Back

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Julio Jones signed what is basically a 4 year, $75 Million contract for 2020-2023 Julio Jones made almost $11 million in 2019. Edelman is at $7.5 Million, so far more than half.

But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.
You’re arguing about the exactitude of his words whilst essentially supporting his argument.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re arguing about the exactitude of his words whilst essentially supporting his argument.

No - he is claiming that in 2020, Fitz will make more than Jones. False. Jones will make double.

Will there be WR not on rookie contracts more productive than Fitz? Probably. ARZNOTACARDINALS is underestimating what WR make

What happened in 2019 is irrelevant to resigning Fitz.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh, I'm all for Larry playing until he says he is done, but do we really need the annual bout of manufactured melodrama surrounding his inevitable return? :shrug:
manufactured melodrama?? reporters ask him a question and he answers it. not like he's organizing a buncha interviews that draw attention to it....

also is it ok for a player to genuinely not know when he'll retire?

Brian in Mesa, assuming you're retired, how many times did you think about it? give Larry some grace

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
No matter how you twist and turn it, Larry Fitzgerald will always be The Greatest Arizona Cardinal ever. It's not even debatable. His jersey sales alone will top his salary. He gets the stadium and the whole fanbase going. He lifts the whole team. Larry to the Cardinals is easily worth twice as much as his actual production warrants. And last I checked his production is still on a high level. Probably not 10m+ level, but not far below. His stats don't account for the tough crucial catches that sustain drives that lead to points. Then there's his locker room presence. There is so much more than his 800/4 statline to consider. Once his production dips to 400-500 yards, you could argue for a lesser deal. But not right now. Tbh with his smarts and skillset, Larry can play at least a couple more years without losing a beat. He doesn't rely on speed or burst at all, which is the main downfall of aging star WRs. His hands, concentration, football IQ and play strength won't go away. If the KK/KM offense makes a sophomore leap like many predict and most of us hope, I wouldn't bet against a 1000 yard season from Larry!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

As for Edleman... Are we supposed to believe that Edelman is more valuable than Fitz??

Over the past 3 seasons (using 2016 for Edelman since he missed all of 2017):
Fitz had 253 catches, 2,694 yards and 16 TD's.
Edelman had 272 catches, 3,073 yards and 15TD's.

If Brady wasn't consuming as much of the Pats' cap, do you think Edelman might be making a few more sheckels??

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am extremely freaking happy Fitz is back. It's not just about the number of catches but the quality of the catches. Fitz gets ball and charges ten yards into the end zone through a defender. Kyler feeling duress throws a ball at Fitz behind or over him and Fitz makes the catch for a first down. Team seems down and Fitz makes a play and for who and what he is, what he means to the franchise and the crowd, the team gets a instant momentum switch... yeah, I will give this Hall of Famer some money :raccoon:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's an overpay, but I don't think it's by an amount that we should be too up in arms about. It's not like he is a completely unproductive player that is only being kept around because of who he is. He can still be a big part of the offense at least for another year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
manufactured melodrama?? reporters ask him a question and he answers it. not like he's organizing a buncha interviews that draw attention to it....

also is it ok for a player to genuinely not know when he'll retire?

Brian in Mesa, assuming you're retired, how many times did you think about it? give Larry some grace

Retired? Why, because we live in Mesa? :shrug: LOL

It feels totally manufactured. Fitz knew all along he was coming back. Why not just say so? Maybe he just likes people talking about it all the time. I'm not even talking about reporters and their questions. Can't tell you how many people - every year, recently - have come to me as their "friend who is a Cards' fan" just to ask me "Do you think Fitz is coming back?"

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It feels totally manufactured. Fitz knew all along he was coming back. Why not just say so? Maybe he just likes people talking about it all the time. I'm not even talking about reporters and their questions. Can't tell you how many people - every year, recently - have come to me as their "friend who is a Cards' fan" just to ask me "Do you think Fitz is coming back?"
your old picture featured you and you appeared to be retirement age. that was all.

Anyways, what more do you want out of Larry? To announce midseason that he's returning? Our last game was barely over 2 weeks ago. What if he tore an ACL or shattered a kneecap vs the rams? certainly changes his calculus

All the melodrama seems to be coming out of you. Wahh Wahh poor me, my friends ask me if Larry is coming back Wahh Wahh... give me a freakin break. Tough life bro.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your old picture featured you and you appeared to be retirement age. that was all.

Anyways, what more do you want out of Larry? To announce midseason that he's returning? Our last game was barely over 2 weeks ago. What if he tore an ACL or shattered a kneecap vs the rams? certainly changes his calculus

All the melodrama seems to be coming out of you. Wahh Wahh poor me, my friends ask me if Larry is coming back Wahh Wahh... give me a freakin break. Tough life bro.

Wow. Triggered much? You must be a millennial. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As for Edleman... Are we supposed to believe that Edelman is more valuable than Fitz??

Over the past 3 seasons (using 2016 for Edelman since he missed all of 2017):
Fitz had 253 catches, 2,694 yards and 16 TD's.
Edelman had 272 catches, 3,073 yards and 15TD's.

If Brady wasn't consuming as much of the Pats' cap, do you think Edelman might be making a few more sheckels??
So your argument is that an older Fitz with materially worse stats last year (38% fewer yards) is worth 57% more in contract? Look I love Fitz and won’t quibble with the contract as it’s for one year and we aren’t going to win much next year anyway. But I can’t stand terrible arguments. And the argument put forth in regards to Edelman is based on his contract Fitz is worth his. If the numbers reported (roughly $7M for Edelman) is right, then on a performance for dollar using Edelman only shows how bad an $11M contract is for Fitz. 57% more money for 38% fewer yards.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have missed the post on here where someone posted a list of all the WR's making 10+ Million. Probably half of them weren't as good as Fitz and got paid the same or more. Guys like Funchess, Watkins, Cooks, Shepard, Tyrell Williams, Boyd, etc... The going rate for WR is just as bad as other positions. I'd rather pay for a known commodity that wants to play here, not just for the money.
I actually think Larry is underutilized in the offense. If you were at the Detroit game where we came back to tie, Larry had multiple huge catches that just energized the team & crowd. That's what he does. If you feed him the ball, he can dominate a game just as much as years past.

He is being paid similarly to Tyrell Williams and Devin Funchess...come on with this

The NFL might want to stop the insanity.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julio Jones signed what is basically a 4 year, $75 Million contract for 2020-2023 Julio Jones made almost $11 million in 2019. Edelman is at $7.5 Million, so far more than half.

But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

BTW - Salary Cap is going up by $11 Million or so,

Help me here.

More productive WRs make less money????

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you should write him a letter to stop inconveniencing your life with his.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the reality is:

had Larry F not come back because the Cardinals offered him something like $7mm a year --

Mike B would have been roasted for being cheap by local media and 90% of the posters on this board

if Larry wanted to come back, Mike B really had no choice