Official Camping Thread

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I dont know why we dont have one. I know there are people that love to spent nights outdoors here.

I am planning my first trip of the year for two weeks from today. Just have to figure out where to go. I am of a kind to try out somewhere new. Maybe south of Tucson near Mt. Wrightston or east toward Springerville.

Any suggestions?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
havent camped in like 6 months. Used to camp minimum twice a month and then I got married.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I just camped at the grand canyon last weekend.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know why we dont have one. I know there are people that love to spent nights outdoors here.

I am planning my first trip of the year for two weeks from today. Just have to figure out where to go. I am of a kind to try out somewhere new. Maybe south of Tucson near Mt. Wrightston or east toward Springerville.

Any suggestions?

depends on the kind of camping you do, the toys you bring, the people you bring. Then I would have suggestions.

I have different favorite spots but it depends who im bringing, what vehicle I am driving and if I am bringing toys or not.

PErsonally, I am not big on camping in the desert unless I am going to be quadding or jeeping around. If I am to be just chillin, I want to be in the woods.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Thought this was a thread on getting ready for the Card's Training Camp.:D

I thought the same thing.

When I still lived in AZ, I used to head north to the Mogollon Rim to camp during the summer. Cool temps, and nestled into the pines, it was always a great escape from Phoenix.

Frankly surprised I never stumbled over the edge in the middle of the night.

Go Cards!!!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I still lived in AZ, I used to head north to the Mogollon Rim to camp during the summer. Cool temps, and nestled into the pines, it was always a great escape from Phoenix.

Go Cards!!!

big fan of the Rim

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
depends on the kind of camping you do, the toys you bring, the people you bring. Then I would have suggestions.

I have different favorite spots but it depends who im bringing, what vehicle I am driving and if I am bringing toys or not.

PErsonally, I am not big on camping in the desert unless I am going to be quadding or jeeping around. If I am to be just chillin, I want to be in the woods.

I have never really liked camping in the desert. I want to be in the trees. But then I dont have any quads or anything like that.

Reaction score

Go Cards!!!

big fan of the Rim

Love going up on the Rim as well. FR300 has some great scenery & there are some spots off the main road where you can be completely secluded. My only issue up there is the altitude. I get winded very easily when I camp there.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love going up on the Rim as well. FR300 has some great scenery & there are some spots off the main road where you can be completely secluded. My only issue up there is the altitude. I get winded very easily when I camp there.

I have never really liked camping in the desert. I want to be in the trees. But then I dont have any quads or anything like that.

If you are a woods camper, have you done the rim? Or more specifically forest road 300 like cubfan mentioned? Especially if you can unpack and pack quickly I recommend taking the 87 past strawberry and going right on forest road 300. This is the beginning (or end) of the road. It takes hours to travel the whole road but you will take in some amazing views and find some sweet spots for camping. If you camp near the rim itself though just be weary that it WILL be windy. Youll also drive by like 8 lakes that you can camp by too.

I find those lakes useless though as i dont fish and you cannot swim in them. They are fun with a kayak or canoe for tooling around in the daytime.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So I asked my co-worker "If you woke up in the middle of the woods with your pants down....would you tell anybody??"

He said "Hell no!"

I said "You wanna go camping?"

Reaction score
If you are a woods camper, have you done the rim? Or more specifically forest road 300 like cubfan mentioned? Especially if you can unpack and pack quickly I recommend taking the 87 past strawberry and going right on forest road 300. This is the beginning (or end) of the road. It takes hours to travel the whole road but you will take in some amazing views and find some sweet spots for camping. If you camp near the rim itself though just be weary that it WILL be windy. Youll also drive by like 8 lakes that you can camp by too.

I find those lakes useless though as i dont fish and you cannot swim in them. They are fun with a kayak or canoe for tooling around in the daytime.

Just past Strawberry is where I go in as well. It's always windy up there. At night it sounds like you are sleeping near a freeway with all the wind going through the trees. They don't allow you to camp right by any of the lakes. You have to be a couple of miles away.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a spot near Christopher Creek that we love to go to. I hope to make it in the July month sometime.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score

Thanks guys. I will have to check it out.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

You can swim at Knoll Lake. We were up there last summer and I swam around the lake.

We were camping at Lake Roosevelt a few weeks ago. It's desert camping, but the water is warm for this time of year.

Attachments

• 2014-03-10 11.27.47.jpg
    2014-03-10 11.27.47.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 73

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can swim at Knoll Lake. We were up there last summer and I swam around the lake.

We were camping at Lake Roosevelt a few weeks ago. It's desert camping, but the water is warm for this time of year.
Been considering some apache camping in April before it gets busy

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are not suposed to swim at Knoll Lake.

Swimming is allowed, but it's cold. Beautiful water though. The air is thin, so it's a bit difficult to breath if you're swimming hard.

http://archive.azcentral.com/travel/arizona/arizonalakes/articles/knoll-lake.html

I've never seen anyone swimming at Knoll Lake. I've fished there a lot.

Lol. You are brave bada. Never seen anyone swim on the rim. I still need to try Christopher creek or some other swimming area by the rim. Haven't yet

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard