Official Camping Thread

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
We love camping, we have done a week-long family camp-out for many years. Wawona in Yosemite used to be our favorite destination but it has gotten impossible to get a campsite in summer there; reservations are done online 5 months in advance and a month's worth of campsite reservations sell out in 10 seconds.

We camped for a week at White Horse Lake near Williams last year, great area but the one thing that was lacking is no swimming holes. The Oak Creek campgrounds are a zoo in summertime.

We are looking for an area to camp in AZ in late July. Like I mentioned in the Wet Beaver :D camping thread, the wife and I are going to scout the Greer area near Showlow for camping. Has anyone camped at Rolfe C. Hoyer or Benning Creek campgrounds? There are a few lakes around, I was hoping swimming was an option in the creek in that area.

If that doesn't look appealing we will go back to White Horse or try Dogtown lake.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We love camping, we have done a week-long family camp-out for many years. Wawona in Yosemite used to be our favorite destination but it has gotten impossible to get a campsite in summer there; reservations are done online 5 months in advance and a month's worth of campsite reservations sell out in 10 seconds.

We camped for a week at White Horse Lake near Williams last year, great area but the one thing that was lacking is no swimming holes. The Oak Creek campgrounds are a zoo in summertime.

We are looking for an area to camp in AZ in late July. Like I mentioned in the Wet Beaver :D camping thread, the wife and I are going to scout the Greer area near Showlow for camping. Has anyone camped at Rolfe C. Hoyer or Benning Creek campgrounds? There are a few lakes around, I was hoping swimming was an option in the creek in that area.

If that doesn't look appealing we will go back to White Horse or try Dogtown lake.

I was eyeballing wet beaver too. I hear lots of people visit it.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Reaction score

IMHO this isn't camping. The way I like to camp is a secluded area in the woods, a tent, campfire, & a dug out latrine. :D

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
IMHO this isn't camping. The way I like to camp is a secluded area in the woods, a tent, campfire, & a dug out latrine. :D

IMHO that is backpacking.

Not always. I like to go car camping but have little to no desire to stay in a pay campsite. (It just seems unnatural to pay to sleep outdoors).

There are tons of spots that you can drive to and set up your tent and be away from people.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just camped at the grand canyon last weekend.

Need more info. Where did you stay?

Yep.

If I can see or hear ANYONE else besides us I'm pretty miserable.

Total seclusion.

I camped at Apache Lake a few years back with a bunch of friends. It was great except for the IDIOTS blaring their music about a hundred yards away from us. Really ruined our evenings. Stupid morons.

Camped on the rim once. Poured rain like crazy. I actually borrowed Linderbee's tent for that trip and I STILL feel bad that there was so much mud when I returned it. (I lived in an apartment at the time and had no means to clean it before I returned it.) Actually, I was there twice. The second time was not rainy.

Anyone been to Seven Springs? I've only been once and it was really pretty at the time of year we went.

I like car camping a lot. I have peed in the woods and I am so not good at it, lol. Give me a camp site, a toilet and a cigarette lighter in my car to blow up my air mattress every single time.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I haven't been to these, however I've camped at Fools Hollow lake in Showlow. Nicest campground I've ever seen. Great lake for swimming as long as it's hot outside.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree but some of the most beautiful places require me to just deal with it. Havasupai falls campsits need reservations but they are INCREDIBLE.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah...I have actually looked (on gogle maps) at that area a while ago. Looks nice.

It is, just avoid holidays and the like. Its a great place to go in winter as nobody is there and its relaxing but obviously you wont swim.

I have been 5 times, once memorial day weekend, memorial day was a nightmare. too many people.

I camped at Apache Lake a few years back with a bunch of friends. It was great except for the IDIOTS blaring their music about a hundred yards away from us. Really ruined our evenings. Stupid morons.

Camped on the rim once. Poured rain like crazy. I actually borrowed Linderbee's tent for that trip and I STILL feel bad that there was so much mud when I returned it. (I lived in an apartment at the time and had no means to clean it before I returned it.) Actually, I was there twice. The second time was not rainy.

Anyone been to Seven Springs? I've only been once and it was really pretty at the time of year we went.

I like car camping a lot. I have peed in the woods and I am so not good at it, lol. Give me a camp site, a toilet and a cigarette lighter in my car to blow up my air mattress every single time.

I'd say 50% of my rim camping it either dumps rain or is incredibly windy, just have to be prepared. We creat roofs with tarps and set designated areas so when it does rain, we can stay dry and hang out.

I remember once if you walked outside of the tarp area you would sink in mud it had rained so much. I had to dig out routes for the rainwater to go so that it didnt pool up against my tent.

Was a great trip.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have been to Seven Springs in my youth with the Boy Scouts but other than the name I dont remember much. And you dont neeb a camp site to have a toilet. We take a bathroom tent and luggable loo with us.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been to Seven Springs in my youth with the Boy Scouts but other than the name I dont remember much. And you dont neeb a camp site to have a toilet. We take a bathroom tent and luggable loo with us.

I have a chair in a bag that I cut a hole into :)

Sevin springs is the one in tucson right? Havent been there yet, hear its very populated as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Heading to Glacier NP in August for 10 days. Can't wait.

My wife and I plan on staying in the backcountry for a couple of those nights.

Should be a hoot.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say 50% of my rim camping it either dumps rain or is incredibly windy, just have to be prepared. We creat roofs with tarps and set designated areas so when it does rain, we can stay dry and hang out.

I remember once if you walked outside of the tarp area you would sink in mud it had rained so much. I had to dig out routes for the rainwater to go so that it didnt pool up against my tent.

Was a great trip.

Yeah, we had to help push many people out of the mud. It poured from early afternoon and overnight. I slept in my car.

I have a chair in a bag that I cut a hole into :)

Sevin springs is the one in tucson right? Havent been there yet, hear its very populated as well.

Nope. Up in Tonto, outside of North Scottsdale.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Up in Tonto, outside of North Scottsdale.
Tell me more!

A quick google showed some trails and shallow creeks. Does it get deep enough to swim? when doing google images I found Sheeps crossing bridge, is it by that? because that is also by the verde hot springs and I believe the creek I went to was called red creek...

You must be registered for see images attach

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Should be a hoot.
Where will you be sleeping? Cabin, camper?

:EDIT: To the point, I hope that you are really experienced in camping up there or are with someone who is if you are camping in tents. Grizzlies aren't just things of fables up there. I've come too damned close to a few in the Bitterroots, and there aren't as many Griz in the Bitterrroots as there are in Glacier.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Where will you be sleeping? Cabin, camper?

:EDIT: To the point, I hope that you are really experienced in camping up there or are with someone who is if you are camping in tents. Grizzlies aren't just things of fables up there. I've come too damned close to a few in the Bitterroots, and there aren't as many Griz in the Bitterrroots as there are in Glacier.

We will be roughing it but I have a very good friend/guide. The guy that owns this website is a friend of a friend: http://www.hike734.com/

We will be in a group of 6 or 8 I think. Should be a great week.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me more!

A quick google showed some trails and shallow creeks. Does it get deep enough to swim? when doing google images I found Sheeps crossing bridge, is it by that? because that is also by the verde hot springs and I believe the creek I went to was called red creek...

You must be registered for see images attach

There were some brooks where we camped. Nothing was deep enough to swim in. Saw lots of flowers. Did some good hikes. Been a few years since I have been up there. It was one of my favorite camping areas in AZ.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Should be a hoot.

Awesome place.

Be aware of bears - take all proper precautions.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Headed out of town tomorrow morning. I should probably decide where we are going soon. Most likely the Alpine area....I have been wanting to go there for a while.

I look forward to hearing about your trip. Alpine looks nice, lots of trees and streams. I've never been there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard