Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying I remember there were a lot of happy people here on draft night when we got Bender AND Chriss. Then when it didn't work out, now everyone is talking about how stupid it was. At the time there were a LOT of happy people.

I had no real opinion on Bender, I just hoped he was what we thought he was. The only one actively knocking that pick as I recall was slin but I also think he was high on Marquese. I spoke out against Chriss a few times going back probably 3 months before the draft. I tried giving them both a chance but I've never seen a player make it in the NBA with his mental and emotional deficiencies.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying I remember there were a lot of happy people here on draft night when we got Bender AND Chriss. Then when it didn't work out, now everyone is talking about how stupid it was. At the time there were a LOT of happy people.

I was so mad at drafting Bender but I had wanted Chriss so I was half right

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, they are certainly less valuable at the top 3. The average percentage to land the #1 pick or a top 3 pick for the bottom 3 teams were both reduced by an average of about 30% (#1: from 20% to 14% and Top 3: 55% to 40%). IOW, they are on average 30% less valuable than in 2018.

(There's only about a 11% difference between the bottom team and the 10th worst team now.)

So if you think a team will be bottom 3 when the pick matures, it actually has less value than it used to.

You're confusing the value of a top-3 pick with a top-3 lottery seed. The value of a top-3 lottery seed has gone down. The value of a top-3 pick has stayed the same. A trade for a future pick that is likely to be in, say, the late lottery has just as much appeal as it used to. A trade for an unprotected pick becomes less appealing only if you're quite confident that the other team will be terrible, hence a high lottery seed, and, now, a less likely lottery payoff.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I was so mad at drafting Bender but I had wanted Chriss so I was half right

Same for me. I thought the Suns made a good move by being aggressive in getting the second guy that they wanted, without giving up much. I was much less enthusiastic about Bridges, because I thought that cashing in the MIA pick for the team's seventh SF was pretty suspect, and I still do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same for me. I thought the Suns made a good move by being aggressive in getting the second guy that they wanted, without giving up much. I was much less enthusiastic about Bridges, because I thought that cashing in the MIA pick for the team's seventh SF was pretty suspect, and I still do.

i second all of this.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I hated bender pick I remember telling all my friends they were going to waste the pick on him and no one believed me then as we watched the draft live sure enough.. I also wasn't a fan of chriss really either it's sad to say that was one of the only sun's drafts I called 100% correctly :sad:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't remember how I felt about the notion before hand but I think I talked myself into after it happened. Convinced myself of the idea that their games may compliment each other and you had to figure one would pan out.

Whoops.

I just took a peak back at that draft class... man, yikes. Granted they're all still relatively young and a couple of them will probably be late bloomers but virtually the entire 1st round didn't live up to the hype. Even Ben Simmons, while really talented, is a seriously flawed player that seems unlikey to become a true star.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think drafting two PFs per se is bad in itself. Look at this year. The only big we have under contract is Ayton. If we ended up getting Hunter, and then another PF/C at 32, I would totally be OK going all big this draft. Same if we trade down and end up with going with three bigs as our picks. In hindsight, it just happened to be those two bigs that made the picks wrong. Had both guys even been average NBA big men, we would be OK at PF/C right now. Our front line woulod be a strength. It was the fact they both underperformed that made it so bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my reaction, but I think I was looking at it as a "Well, ONE of them has to pan out" situation.

I had visions of both Bender and Chriss being stars.

When I was watching the Golden State in the playoffs I kept thinking of Bender being in a Warriors uniform playing like most of us thought he could play when he entered the league.

Please don't let this prove to be true... at least with the Warriors. Yikes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d still resign Bender in the cheap and hope better coaching and maturation could coax a player outta him.

Bender should be minimally a solid role player in time... a stretch 4.

If he ever learns to drive to the basket and even play better defense (he is competent there right now), he can be much more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bender should be minimally a solid role player in time... a stretch 4.

If he ever learns to drive to the basket and even play better defense (he is competent there right now), he can be much more.
This offseason I’d have him become a deadly 3 point shooter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo again says D'Angelo Russell is not an option for Suns.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

I don't think I have been asked about any single player more than D'Angelo Russell who will likely get his rights renounced if the Nets get Kyrie Irving. Once again as we have been saying for a month now - D'Angelo Russell is NOT an option for the Suns.

10:26 AM - 18 Jun 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's puzzling how bad a shooter he's been - form looks good, but his #'s have been putrid. Hard to be a stretch 4 if you can't shoot 3's!

He has Zarko Cabarkapa syndrome. He is so timid, afraid of contact and being challenged that he rushes his shot in game situations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But he shot them extremely well the previous year, so who knows?
That’s why I would narrow his offseason focus. It’s possibke if he’s not overloaded. Don’t need him to be complete player to be useful. Forget he was #4 pick. Adjust expectations.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That’s why I would narrow his offseason focus. It’s possible if he’s not overloaded. Don’t need him to be complete player to be useful. Forget he was #4 pick. Adjust expectations.

I agree. If he can defend (which he can) and hit the three consistently (which he did two years ago), he will be an actual NBA player.