Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So the reason to do this is you get 1 year of him at 19 million and then he is off the books so you could try to make a splash next year.

They want to keep the younger and better player obviously
What's the difference between this and simply keeping Tyler Johnson?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Teague is a better player than Tyler Johnson.

You would need to keep both to make the splash though
How so? Seriously, I'd like to see what kind of seperation there is between Teague and Tyler. Their theory is we trade the #6, Tyler and the Milwaukee pick to Minnesota for the #11 and Teague.

I don't see any real substantial advantage with this trade, especially if your speculation is correct and Teague is acquired for his single year that is identical to Tyler. So you're talking about a minimal difference in talent in the players with both expiring--and then we trade the #6 and the Milwaukee pick for #11. Doesn't seem that great for us, IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? Seriously, I'd like to see what kind of seperation there is between Teague and Tyler. Their theory is we trade the #6, Tyler and the Milwaukee pick to Minnesota for the #11 and Teague.

I don't see any real substantial advantage with this trade, especially if your speculation is correct and Teague is acquired for his single year that is identical to Tyler. So you're talking about a minimal difference in talent in the players with both expiring--and then we trade the #6 and the Milwaukee pick for #11. Doesn't seem that great for us, IMO.

Warren is $11,750,000
JJ is 6,041,520

Teague is $19,000,000

Congratulations on a successful trade
Due to Minnesota being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary under the Tax Threshold and trading out less than $19.6M in salaries, the 50% trade rule is invoked. Minnesota could not receive more than 150% plus $100,000 or no more than $5,000,000 in additional salaries (whichever is lesser) of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.

Due to Phoenix being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Phoenix could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.

This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the reason to do this is you get 1 year of him at 19 million and then he is off the books so you could try to make a splash next year.

They want to keep the younger and better player obviously
Well obviously it buys time. They aren't sold on White or Garland or they would pick 6th and be done with it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would give the Suns over 38 million in expiring contracts.

Again this isn't the route I would go but I can see why they would do it

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A third team can get involved here as well since Minnesota is trying to move Wiggins

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This would give the Suns over 38 million in expiring contracts.

Again this isn't the route I would go but I can see why they would do it
Well, that sets up for a big cap space amount the following season. From the sites I have been looking at, barring any moves now, it was just this season we had to get past, then team salary opened up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well if I was in charge, I would be doing whatever it took to draft garland - meaning I would get the 4th pick. I think he is the best answer. Coby White is so flawed I have zero faith in him whatsoever.

But if not a trade/signing of Jrue, DLO, Brogdan, Shroeder, Dinwiddie, or Ball. Anything less than that and I would not bother signing anyone - I would just go with Tyler Johnson

Tyus Jones is better than Schroeder and Ball. Ball can't shoot, or stay healthy, and Schroeder is not a good playmaker and is also overpaid. Atlanta got lucky that OKC wanted to dump Melo and were willing to eat Schroeder's deal to do so.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jones is nothing like Joseph.

As a starter last year he put up these numbers at age 22. He didn't get to start until Teague got injured

10.8 points, 7.5 assists. 1 turnover. 1.5 steals 2.6 rebounds.

In April he took off even more as he got used to starting

11.7 points, 8.5 assists. 0.5 TO. 1.2 steals 2.7 rebounds.

He is a pass first PG who doesn't turn over the ball and is an excellent defender at the age of 23.

Honestly it is whom we should have been targeting all along

I'm sold, let's go get him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a former boxer. Lots of head shots. He gets a grammar pass! :D

It's a good explanation and I'd even agree with you if he'd taken a job as a former boxer instead of one that involves basic communication skills. I think he should have taken a job in a meat department, he does a nice job butchering the English language

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For clarification, the Jazz trade for Conley included two first round picks.

Per Adrian Wojnarowski:

The Memphis Grizzlies have traded guard Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz for Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver and Jae Crowder, the 23rd pick in Thursday's draft and a future first-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27008482/sources-conley-sent-jazz-3-players-picks

Well, that at least is more, but it is still a pittance for an excellent player.

The Suns seem just to be running in place, in the meantime.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that at least is more, but it is still a pittance for an excellent player.

The Suns seem just to be running in place, in the meantime.

The Jazz traded later first round picks. It made more sense for them than the Suns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Jazz traded later first round picks. It made more sense for them than the Suns.

That's why I think #6, Warren and Johnson would have gotten the deal done, and we would have had our point guard that would have given us some time to see if we could develop Okobo or Melton into a viable NBA point guard. We could then have used the MLE to fill our PF spot.

Instead, it looks like we will be stuck with Cory Joseph for the MLE, White or Culver at 6 and some cheap PF, if any PF at all.

I would rather have traded for Conley in that scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I think #6, Warren and Johnson would have gotten the deal done, and we would have had our point guard that would have given us some time to see if we could develop Okobo or Melton into a viable NBA point guard. We could thrn have used the MLE to fill our PF spot.

Instead, it looks like we will be stuck with Cory Joseph for the MLE, White or Culver at 6 and some cheap PF, if any PF at all.

I would rather have traded for Conley in that scenario.

I wouldn't have done #6 for the 31 year old Conley.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't have done #6 for the 31 year old Conley.

Would you rather have the craptastic combo of Cory Joseph, White/Culver and Tyler Johnson, together with a disgruntled TJ Warren who has already quit on the team?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you rather have the craptastic combo of Cory Joseph, White/Culver and Tyler Johnson, together with a disgruntled TJ Warren who has already quit on the team?

I didn't say that... talking about the #6 pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I didn't say that... talking about the #6 pick.

I would gladly give up the #6 pick if it meant we actually had a viable NBA point guard rather than having to endure Tyler Johnson and Cory Joseph at that position.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yet you want to trade for a player that has made it clear he doesn't want to be part of rebuilding effort. Conley wanted to be traded to a real contender and he's been the face of that franchise (along with Gasol) for many years now, I highly doubt they'd have screwed him over by sending him to a team that is hoping to move into the playoff argument over the next few years.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet you want to trade for a player that has made it clear he doesn't want to be part of rebuilding effort. Conley wanted to be traded to a real contender and he's been the face of that franchise (along with Gasol) for many years now, I highly doubt they'd have screwed him over by sending him to a team that is hoping to move into the playoff argument over the next few years.

I think you'd be surprised what a point guard of Conley's level, together with a competent coach in Monty Williams, could do for this team. If we even got a serviceable power forward to go along with that, I think we would be in the playoff picture every bit as much as Utah will be next season.