NY Times: Lance Armstrong might admit to doping

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NY Times: Lance Armstrong might admit to doping

http://www.azfamily.com/news/NY-Times-Lance-Armstrong-might-admit-to-doping--185724382.html

A new report from the New York Times says disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong is considering admitting that he was doping during his once celebrated career.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/s...g-said-to-weigh-admission-of-doping.html?_r=0

Lance Armstrong, who this fall was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping and barred for life from competing in all Olympic sports, has told associates and antidoping officials that he is considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career, according to several people with direct knowledge of the situation. He would do this, the people said, because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career.

For more than a decade, Armstrong has vehemently denied ever doping, even after antidoping officials laid out their case against him in October in hundreds of pages of eyewitness testimony from teammates, e-mail correspondence, financial records and laboratory analyses.

When asked if Armstrong might admit to doping, Tim Herman, Armstrong’s longtime lawyer, said: “I do not know about that. I suppose anything is possible, for sure. Right now, that’s really not on the table.”

Armstrong has been under pressure from various fronts to confess. Wealthy supporters of Livestrong, the charity he founded after surviving testicular cancer, have been trying to persuade him to come forward so he could clear his conscience and save the organization from further damage, one person with knowledge of the situation said.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/01/08/lance-armstrong-will-ask-oprah-for-absolution-forgiveness-in-interview

Lance Armstrong has decided to come clean, so to speak. Since the big dope’s life is essentially ruined, he’s apparently going to admit it all and ask for forgiveness. And who better to give it to him that Oprah? She’s got him on January 17 from 9 to 10:30pm on the hard to find OWN channel.

This airs tonight for me....

PS Apparently the Showtime show, “60 Minutes Sports” is also headlining a tremendous piece by Scott Pelley. Check it out at CBSNews.co

Messi is also being interviewed tonight on 60 Minutes Sports.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/01/08/lance-armstrong-will-ask-oprah-for-absolution-forgiveness-in-interview

This airs tonight for me....

Messi is also being interviewed tonight on 60 Minutes Sports.

Yep that's the strong rumor now for weeks that Lance has been contemplating coming clean.

note, there's a new story out today that makes it even more likely, Travis Tygart of USADA said on the 60 Minutes SPorts show you're referring to than in 2004 Lance offered USADA a "donation" of 150,000 dollars. Tygart said he immediated rejected the offer as a clear conflict of interest but said he very clearly thought Lance was trying to "bribe" USADA at the time. Note, Lance did donate a similar amount of money to another doping agency it's one of the charges he's defended for years saying he did it to help them buy anti doping equipment. Tygart's allegation is being denied by lance's lawyers but it's another example of the alleged lengths to which he went to try and keep from being caught.

I'm still skeptical until he actually comes clean, I am not convinced he will. But he has clear financial issues, he's got people lining up to sue him, if he comes clean he'll get more suits, but he hopes it will open up potential revenue to him as he can move on to the next chapter of his career. Right now he's sort of looking at years of lawsuits he's probably going to lose, and eventual bankruptcy, so coming clean might allow him to actually generate some revenue to stave that off.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he needs revenue he could always market and sell some "LIESTRONG" bracelets for all of the liars and cheaters of the world to scoop up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he needs revenue he could always market and sell some "LIESTRONG" bracelets for all of the liars and cheaters of the world to scoop up.

I'm guessing he'd start doing paid interviews and or write a book.

He's got serious issues he's got one demand after another, return money from winning TDF's, return money to Texas based insurance company that paid out 5 million to him for winning TDF's(after refusing to pay and Lance winning court case). He's also got several pending personal lawsuits by people he slandered over the years rumored to be coming down the pipe.

That's why he disassociated himself from Livestrong he didn't want them to be sued too.

What I would love to see him do is go on Oprah and publicly apologize to all the people he accused of lying over the years, of course that may take several hours.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he'd start doing paid interviews and or write a book.

He's got serious issues he's got one demand after another, return money from winning TDF's, return money to Texas based insurance company that paid out 5 million to him for winning TDF's(after refusing to pay and Lance winning court case). He's also got several pending personal lawsuits by people he slandered over the years rumored to be coming down the pipe.

That's why he disassociated himself from Livestrong he didn't want them to be sued too.

What I would love to see him do is go on Oprah and publicly apologize to all the people he accused of lying over the years, of course that may take several hours.

The biggest hangup is - he wants to come clean without any legal consequences for his lying all these years:

But what worries Armstrong and his lawyers most, two of the people with knowledge of the situation said, is that he could face charges of perjury if he confesses because in sworn testimony in the SCA case he said he had never doped.

Before coming forward, Armstrong would need assurances from the Justice Department that he would not be prosecuted for those crimes, those two people said.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest hangup is - he wants to come clean without any legal consequences for his lying all these years:

But what worries Armstrong and his lawyers most, two of the people with knowledge of the situation said, is that he could face charges of perjury if he confesses because in sworn testimony in the SCA case he said he had never doped.

Before coming forward, Armstrong would need assurances from the Justice Department that he would not be prosecuted for those crimes, those two people said.

Yeah and that's why I have absolutely no sympathy for the guy and never will. He still after all these years is only concerned about himself. Even something that should be somewhat "good", coming clean, he's turning into a negotiation, yes I'll come clean but you have to give me immunity.

I think the SCA case is the insurance one and it frankly has little to do with the case other than a perfect example of how dishonest Lance was. They declined to pay him 5 million for winning 5 straight TDF's because of all the rumors he'd doped. Lance sued them and the judge ruled in favor of Lance who then publicly stated he'd been cleared by the judge. It was complete BS, what the judge actually said was that despite the insurance company producing a lot of information about alleged doping, it was all irrelevant. The terms of the contract between them and Lance did NOT state he couldn't dope, it just said he had to win the TDF, he did, so they had to pay him.

The basis of their demanding the money back now is that he's been stripped of his TDF titles so technically he did NOT win, and therefore the case should be overturned. They're entirely right. But most people that have heard about that case think it was about doping because that's how Lance made it seem.

He did of course testify under oath he hadn't doped but the judge didn't care, it had nothing to do with his decision.

But I guess it would be perjury now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow his confession hasn't even publicly aired and already there are rumors that Lance is going to testify against officials with the UCI, the people USADA said colluded with lance to help him avoid detection.

I guess helping them get to the bottom of the whole thing is a good thing but it sure seems a bit shady, cheat and lie your butt off for over a decade and then come clean and rat out people that helped you cheat.

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So how much did Oprah pay Lance to admit?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how much did Oprah pay Lance to admit?

The bad , there thing is if you watch, he's STILL not telling the truth. In one of the books(Forget which) and in one of the big articles from the former assistant who Lance fired because he suspected the guy found doping stuff, there were comments about how you can tell when Lance is lying. Both guys, independently, said "when Lance is blatantly lying he tends to get a bit angry, and he tends to say absolutely to try and convince you he's being honest."

Repeatedly last night with certain questions he did that. When she asked if he pushed teammates to dope too he repeatedly said absolutely not. When asked if he was the mastermind of the most sophisticated doping program in the history of sport he said it again. They showed old tape of him lying under oath and he again said absolutely.

The worst part was the Andreu question, she asked him point blank was she telling the truth, did you admit to doping in the hospital to your oncologist and Lance refused to answer the question. Said they talked about it by phone, it was personal, and he wouldn't go into it. Oprah again said "did she lie, or did she tell the truth?" And again he wouldn't answer.

Andreu has already gone public ripping Lance saying he "owed it to her and her family to tell the truth and he didn't." I completely agree with her, he intentionally destroyed her husbands career, he trashed her character repeatedly for years. And now won't come clean.

As to why, it's really IMO that he likely couldn't get a full amnesty deal from the Justice Department so he's intentionally not admitting to certain things because he's concerned if he does, he'll be charged with perjury.

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The bad , there thing is if you watch, he's STILL not telling the truth. In one of the books(Forget which) and in one of the big articles from the former assistant who Lance fired because he suspected the guy found doping stuff, there were comments about how you can tell when Lance is lying. Both guys, independently, said "when Lance is blatantly lying he tends to get a bit angry, and he tends to say absolutely to try and convince you he's being honest."

Repeatedly last night with certain questions he did that. When she asked if he pushed teammates to dope too he repeatedly said absolutely not. When asked if he was the mastermind of the most sophisticated doping program in the history of sport he said it again. They showed old tape of him lying under oath and he again said absolutely.

The worst part was the Andreu question, she asked him point blank was she telling the truth, did you admit to doping in the hospital to your oncologist and Lance refused to answer the question. Said they talked about it by phone, it was personal, and he wouldn't go into it. Oprah again said "did she lie, or did she tell the truth?" And again he wouldn't answer.

Andreu has already gone public ripping Lance saying he "owed it to her and her family to tell the truth and he didn't." I completely agree with her, he intentionally destroyed her husbands career, he trashed her character repeatedly for years. And now won't come clean.

As to why, it's really IMO that he likely couldn't get a full amnesty deal from the Justice Department so he's intentionally not admitting to certain things because he's concerned if he does, he'll be charged with perjury.
Wow. And to think I defended this guy.:bang:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude..... He is trash man. You can just see it in his body language. His polygraph would look like the Andes Mountains.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Investigators familiar with the case disagree. They said today that Armstrong's blood values at the 2009 race showed clear blood manipulation consistent with two transfusions. Armstrong's red blood cell count suddenly went up at these points, even though the number of baby red blood cells did not.

Investigators said this was proof that he received a transfusion of mature red blood cells.

If Armstrong lied about the 2009 race, it could be to protect himself criminally, investigators said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrong-lied-oprah-cover-crimes-investigators/story?id=18245484

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You know what else pisses me off?????

They were using Glass Straws in the water glasses. All that clanging was damn annoying!!!

Who the hell uses GLASS STRAWS!!!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what else pisses me off?????

They were using Glass Straws in the water glasses. All that clanging was damn annoying!!!

Who the hell uses GLASS STRAWS!!!

No doubt. Chill Pipes are way better:

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep that's a huge part of it he's doing everything he can to avoid opening himself up to more criminal charges. He realizes the civil suits are going to keep coming in, but he's trying to negotiate "immunity" so he's not admitting to anything that would damage that.

I'm watching part 2 right now and he's still doing it, still insisted he raced clean in 09, that he thought he could win because he thought everyone else was clean.

When he first came back he made this big deal about posting his blood results on his website for everyone to see, and he did, for awhile, and then he stopped. And if you read the stuff Dr. Ashenden wrote he spelled out in detail why Lance stopped posting it, because the stuff he was posting was starting to show indications of doping.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60 Minutes interviewed USADA's Travis Tygart last night and he repeated that Lance lied repeatedly during the Oprah interview.

Lied about being clean in 09 and 10 to put himself outside the statute of limitations as I said before. Said his blood levels were 1 in 1 million to have occurred naturally.

Said he lied about the Switzerland situation with him testing positive and then demanding a meeting with the lab who did the test and the guy from the lab "gave him the keys to beat EPO testing."

Lied about not being in charge of the whole operation.

Also said he personally spoke with one of Lance's top representatives by phone about Lance wanting to donate money to USADA and said it was perfectly clear the intent of the offer was an attempt to curry favor from USADA. In other words, Lance's rep offered him a bribe, he personally took the call and said Lance is 100% lying about saying it never happened.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard