Notes on Pats, Lions, Seahawks, Chiefs, Panthers, Jags, Eagles, Dolphins

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Pats:

* Brady, Edelman and Hogan came out on fire...Lions had no answer...sad to see Edelman suffer a non-contact ACL injury. A WR who might now appeal to them is Jeremy Ross.
* Kony Ealy did little to improve his trade value --- looked gassed, sluggish and out of shape --- hard to believe that he was late to the first day of training camp and has been so lethargic. Looks like the Panthers robbed the Pats of a 2nd round pick.
* Not sure if the Pats can keep both RB D.J. Foster and Dion Lewis. Foster runs hard, can plant and cut, has upside as a receiver as well. Maybe they convert him to slot WR. Lewis is quick as a cat, but tends to dance a little. Has had injury issues in the past.

Lions:

* Got down 24-0 in the blink of an eye (due to TOs and Brady brilliance), but got some good things going on offense late in the first half and well into the second half.
* Stafford has a very good group of RBs (Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, Dwayne Washington) and WRs (Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay) and TE (Eric Ebron). The Cardinals would probably have to put Mathieu on Tate (with FS help for Tate, 5-10, 197, has a speed advantage), Peterson on Jones (6-2, 190), Bethel on Golladay (6-4, 213) and Branch on Ebron (6-4, 253). The ILBers are going to have to match the speed of Abdullah, Riddick and the power of Washington.
* The Lions' defense is athletic, but undisciplined and very so-so in coverage. DE Ziggy Ansah needs to be chipped and double teamed. Anthony Zettel looked quick and strong at DE versus Pats.
* 2nd year QB Jake Rudock of Michigan looked surprisingly good...extending plays and throwing with precision.

Seahawks:

* Have to marvel at they style of play and how John Schneider the GM signs and drafts tough, high motor guys who fit their mold.
* Versus the Chiefs, who are talented up front on defense, the newly shifted offensive line with Odey Aboushi sliding over to LT, looked surprisingly good. They opened up good holes for smash mouth RBs Eddie Lacy and 7th round rookie sensation Chris Carson.
* Of course, Russell Wilson, has an uncanny knack of sensing and escaping pressure...he's like the master of Pac Man...when the goblins come near he quickly exits out the side door or down the shute. He and TE Jimmy Graham are much more in sync these days. And Doug Baldwin remains their most dynamic WR.
* On defense, the emergence of DE Frank Clark makes them even more aggressive...the LBers are fast and the DBs are physical thumpers. The 2 players to exploit in the passing game are RCB Jeremy Lane and SS Kam Chancellor who can be beat by speed and quickness.
* Their STs look vulnerable to speedy returners.

Chiefs:

* QB Alex Smith played very well...there had to be 3-4 drops by his TE and WRs.
* WR Tyreek Hill is a freak of nature.
* Rookie RB Kareem Hunt is physical and highly competitive, which is a plus because it looks like Spencer Ware might be out for a while.
* QB Patrick Mahomes shows antsy feet, superb body flexibility and a laser arm...but he's all over the place and bolts out of the pocket to soon, which is what the Cardinals have been working on with Blaine Gabbert. Gabbert better size than Mahomes, Mahomes has a slightly quicker release, but both generate high velocity on their throws.

Panthers:

* QB Cam Newton looked solid in his brief return. QB Derek Anderson was largely inaccurate.
* Their offensive talent at the skills positions with RBs Jonathan Stewart, Christian McCaffrey (who looks every bit as dynamic as advertised) and WRs Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess and rookie Curtis Samuel, plus TE Greg Olsen form quite a talented cadre of receivers.
* LB Luke Keuchly is back and is more focused on using his upper body to finish tackles. The ILB behind him David Mayo looks very good and is superb on STs.
* Their 2 2nd year CBs James Bradberry and Daryl Worley are much improved.

Jags:

* QB Chad Henne is tough and was pretty much on target...had a perfectly thrown deep bomb dropped by Marqise Lee. Their whole offense is underperforming. WRs Hurns and Robinson have not looked as fast or productive. RB Leonard Fournette has been slowed by injuries.
* DE Calais Campbell remains solid versus the run, but has yet to flash in their pass rush.
* S Barry Church is balling, big-time. Man, I really wanted him for the Cardinals.

Eagles:

* QB Carson Wentz is playing at a very high level. Threw a perfect long TD over the top of the defense to Torrey Smith. TE Zack Ertz and WR Alshon Jeffery could have big years.
* LBs Najae Goode and Nigel Bradham are speedy and rangy. LB Mychal Kendricks, who still might be available via trade has 3 interceptions in 3 games.
* CB Ronald Darby got beat deep...can struggle with taller WRs...but playing up in coverage Darby was superb.

Dolphins:

* QB Jay Cutler was good and is a very good fit for them, possibly better than Ryan Tannehill. However, Cutler got stripped once on a sack and got away with some other panicky dump offs under pressure.
* RB Jay Alayi is fast becoming one of the best RBs in the league --- nice combo of burst and sneaky power.
* The WR trio of Jarvis Landry, DeVante Parker and Kenny Stills with TE Julian Thomas are very talented.
* Their pass rush with Cameron Wake, Andre Branch, Ndamukung Suh and Jordan Phillips is superb.
* 5th round rookie DT Davon Godchaux of LSU whom many of us were intrigued with is in the mix to start at DT. He's having an excellent camp.
* Their secondary looks slow and not very sticky.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I gave away my Eagles/Dolphins tickets to a buddy of mine who's a Dolphins fan. I think I've been underestimating the Eagles but I still think they're the 3rd best team in the NFC Least. My first game is going to be Eagles/Cards and I'm hoping I can bring my RV to that one.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kony Ealy, technically, did not cost an entire 2nd round pick. The Pats got a 3rd rounder and Ealy for that pick.

Cutler was throwing late purposely trying to allow routes to come open. I am predicting he has a great year as the season goes on. Possibly a wild card team with him. Bye bye Tannehill. That sack and strip on Cutler was all on Tunsil. That big fat turd just did the matador move on the DE/OLB.

Cam Newton looked injured. 2 dump off passes and a bunch of hand offs. He is hurting.

Smith should sue for non suppport by Hill.

Wentz = real deal with tools now.

Marrone just switched gears and is going back to Bortles. Henne is Jag's Stanton at best.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave away my Eagles/Dolphins tickets to a buddy of mine who's a Dolphins fan. I think I've been underestimating the Eagles but I still think they're the 3rd best team in the NFC Least. My first game is going to be Eagles/Cards and I'm hoping I can bring my RV to that one.

Not sure if Cowboys and Giants are better than Eagles. NFC East may be the tightest division.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if Cowboys and Giants are better than Eagles. NFC East may be the tightest division.
Hence my calling it the NFC Least. Each team is about a 9 or 10 win team at best. The division is literally anyone's division. Each team has strengths and glaring issues. You could conceivably have a division winner at 8-8 this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard