No Country for Old Men

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No--he was central to the movie. He taught the ragtag bunch of players --especially Coffee Black-- to play the game as it's meant to be played: unselfishly. He advanced the whole movie.

er, I mean, he took what he thought was an Amish-bowling-phenom-turned-out-to-be-slightly-above-average bowler and made him a champion.

Oh, wait....nevermind.
now those were good movies!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much rather watch Kingpin than this pile of crap. Sorry but this movie was all talked up and lived up to pretty much nothing.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strange bird Abomb? Why because I didn't like this stinker of a movie, I bet a whole hell of alot of people didn't like this crap.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid movie! When it was over I enjoyed that much more than the movie itself.

Much rather watch Kingpin than this pile of crap. Sorry but this movie was all talked up and lived up to pretty much nothing.

Strange bird Abomb? Why because I didn't like this stinker of a movie, I bet a whole hell of alot of people didn't like this crap.
You know why a lot of people don't like you? Because speaking in absolutes on a message board rubs people the wrong way.

Bada just said it's on of his 10 favorites (and that's saying something!). Does that make him wrong?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That makes him have his own very unique opinion of whats good and not good. To each his own, this movie I don't see how could be on a top 10 of anything good.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange bird Abomb? Why because I didn't like this stinker of a movie, I bet a whole hell of a lot of people didn't like this crap.

Very few people disliked this movie (four Oscars and 90% fresh on RT) and those who did were far more eloquent in their critique.

I already give your opinion in movies very little credence, so for you to crap on this movie, yet offer no reason or analysis as to why you didnt like it further cements it.

Not saying you had to like it, but something more than "OMG, this movie Suxx0rz" would be more than welcome.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dad is the champion of this movie. He made my sister read the book and go see the movie again. It made all the difference with her. I might do the same at some point.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dad is the champion of this movie. He made my sister read the book and go see the movie again. It made all the difference with her. I might do the same at some point.
The book was great, but the movie was very true to it. If you didn't like the starkness of the movie, I doubt you'll like the starkness of the book.

There were some scenes in the movie (particularly the locations) that I felt the Cohen brothers ripped right out of my head. That's how dead-on to the book they were.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You know why a lot of people don't like you? Because speaking in absolutes on a message board rubs people the wrong way.
Dude, I just added that to my signature. That is sooo true and yet, so common.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the movie, but I do want to watch it again. I also am interested in checking out the book.

I think the Coen's do drama pretty well, but I think they do dark comedy a lot better--maybe that contributed to my opinion of the film, I don't know.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said people Abomb like normal people not critics which are wrong pretty much most of the time. If you liked it thats great, I thought it was pretty lame nothing like it was made out to be some masterpiece or something. Like I said to each his own, this one just barely kept my attention and then the ending was terrible IMHO. And I do like many great movies this is just not on the list, wasn't great at all. Why don't you explain why you think this was good? Honestly was it the great plot? Mediocre acting? I mean what was it that made this a good movie for you?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said people Abomb like normal people not critics which are wrong pretty much most of the time. If you liked it thats great, I thought it was pretty lame nothing like it was made out to be some masterpiece or something. Like I said to each his own, this one just barely kept my attention and then the ending was terrible IMHO. And I do like many great movies this is just not on the list, wasn't great at all. Why don't you explain why you think this was good? Honestly was it the great plot? Mediocre acting? I mean what was it that made this a good movie for you?

How is a critic "wrong"? They are expressing their opinion just like everyone else. You may not agree with it, but it doesn't make them wrong. They are like anyone else, except they get paid to give their opinion on movies. I wish I could get paid for that.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea what was going on half the time in this movie and the ending sucked..I swear Im never gonna watch a movie that wins an Oscar again.. They always dissapoint me.. Either that or they need to get new judges for Oscars cuz those folks there now have warped minds.. Its official, the Oscars do absolutly zero for me, from the actors telling me what I should believe in poltics, to their stupid fashion show to the craptastic movies they let win..

Booooo on the Oscars..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I had no idea what was going on half the time in this movie and the ending sucked..I swear Im never gonna watch a movie that wins an Oscar again.. They always dissapoint me.. Either that or they need to get new judges for Oscars cuz those folks there now have warped minds.. Its official, the Oscars do absolutly zero for me, from the actors telling me what I should believe in poltics, to their stupid fashion show to the craptastic movies they let win..

Booooo on the Oscars..

You didn't like Return of the King?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone, nashman and Gee didnt like this movie.

Needless to say, it was a very interesting movie and a couple of the best performances in recent memory.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, do I have a completely different opinion of what happened there. The Sherrif didn't miss his chance. He knew his chance was in there and he passed it up "to live another day" because he knew that if he confronted Chigur, he was a dead man. Then, in the ultimate twist of irony, as he lived his other days, he basically wished he was dead anyway, as his dreams foretold, shivering in the storm (which is what society had become) just waiting to get to other side to be with his father (or waiting to die to get to heaven).

if the Sherrif made any move toward the vent, he was dead and he knew it. As for my reasoning in how the Sherriff knew he was still in the room? He walks into the bathroom and the Coen's made a point of him recognizing that the bathroom window latch was closed, meaning there was no way he could have escaped out the back (because who would have latched the window in that case? trust me, there's a reason for every shot in that scene) He also knew that Chigur wouldn't have left the vent sitting there on the ground afterward to raise eyebrows, which meant he hadn't finished in the room yet.

The Sherrif knew he was in there and he was facing his own mortality with whatever decision he made. Face death and keep your pride or swallow it and live another day? He decided to live another day and then regretted it the rest of his life. Basically screwed if you do and screwed if you don't. Like his Uncle said, "You can't stop what's coming." Love that movie. Damn it was bleak.

Cheese, I just read this post for the first time. I'll have to rewatch that scene closely next time. This could be the difference in why I didn't care about the last minute of the movie and you did.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I liked the movie more the second time. Although I went almost a year between viewings because, as cheese said, it was bleak.

I did also. Actually, every Coen brothers movie that I've rewatched, I've liked more the 2nd time.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone, nashman and Gee didnt like this movie.

Needless to say, it was a very interesting movie and a couple of the best performances in recent memory.

You can include me as well. I enjoy conflict resolution.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been in my Netflix queue for a long time and I finally got to watch it. I enjoyed it. It was a complicated movie that you really have to pay attention to in order to get the full story. I think it was shot beautifully and the acting was superb. Powerful stuff.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This has been in my Netflix queue for a long time and I finally got to watch it. I enjoyed it. It was a complicated movie that you really have to pay attention to in order to get the full story. I think it was shot beautifully and the acting was superb. Powerful stuff.

Yep, I re-watched it 10 years later and it still holds up well. Every scene filled with such tension. And the dialogue, which is my favorite part of films, pulls you into every scene.

This was a great thread to revisit; it has some interesting discussions.