NFL Draft rumors until draft day

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Havent seen this on the board, so ill put it here:

Friday Burns/Gambo: Gambo said he could see trading up if one of the top 5 pass rushers dropped below #10 or so:

Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, T. Walker, Karlaftis, Johnson

latter two are the ones likely to be there

FWIW: closer to the draft, i know the 98.7 group gets a "background" briefing by the Cardinals -- but this feels early to me, so I think its show filling speculation rather than informed reporting
We don't have enough draft capital as it is; let's not be dumb and trade away more. And we're talking top-end picks, because 6th rounders and below aren't getting us there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we definitely need a pass rusher. But, I think we need a stout run stopper even more. Unless we improve dramatically against the run, teams won’t even need to pass against us. I like Davis from UGA at 23. I’d even trade up if necessary to get him.

I'm not sure how much difference it would make. I'm fairly confident it's Vance's scheme that's the problem. He sells out vs pass, especially with linebackers, and leaves the run game more open.

A big problem last year was also Chandler who was just awful vs the run and was often targeted. Improving vs the run there will help a lot.

I do like Wyatt though, I'm just not sure how much better he will make us the way Vance plays.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We don't have enough draft capital as it is; let's not be dumb and trade away more. And we're talking top-end picks, because 6th rounders and below aren't getting us there.
This, the Cards better hit on 2 of their first 3 round picks, with relatively some immediate impact. I want your standard tall lanky outside WR if we go there, I want your big stout mauler if we go guard, and if we go pass rusher I want a guy big enough who is not a liability against the run. I am sick and tired of these 'versatile' players who can be mediocre at various positions, 'X' factor guys who have limited use for the bulk of ABC football, '$' backer crap who end up being the ones the opposing offense then takes advantage of when it should be the opposite, slot WR, nickel CB, hybrid back up QBs who cannot start and run an occasional wildcat, approaches that cannot accomplish crap when you do not already have a strong traditional group which they can compliment because the Cards current roster does not have that luxury to get all fancy!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much difference it would make. I'm fairly confident it's Vance's scheme that's the problem. He sells out vs pass, especially with linebackers, and leaves the run game more open.

A big problem last year was also Chandler who was just awful vs the run and was often targeted. Improving vs the run there will help a lot.

I do like Wyatt though, I'm just not sure how much better he will make us the way Vance plays.
I think what you just wrote argues even more for taking talented run defenders. If the scheme isn’t going to stop the run you become more dependent on individual talent to make up for scheme deficiencies. For instance, the board seems somewhat comfortable with not having a Ramsey or Peterson because their talent would be wasted in Vance’s scheme, which according to your description dedicates more bodies to stopping the pass. That means fewer guys stopping the run, so if you’re going to be even mediocre those few bodies have to be above average. The better they are capable of stopping the run without help the more balanced the defense becomes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I liked olave last season but didn’t watch much OSU this year. Haven’t watched much of the others other than Jamison, who is coming off injury and couldn’t beat out the two OSU receivers. As much as I want a WR I’m getting the feel this class just isn’t very impressive. Not sure any of them ever become a #1 post nuk.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what you just wrote argues even more for taking talented run defenders. If the scheme isn’t going to stop the run you become more dependent on individual talent to make up for scheme deficiencies. For instance, the board seems somewhat comfortable with not having a Ramsey or Peterson because their talent would be wasted in Vance’s scheme, which according to your description dedicates more bodies to stopping the pass. That means fewer guys stopping the run, so if you’re going to be even mediocre those few bodies have to be above average. The better they are capable of stopping the run without help the more balanced the defense becomes.
I agree! One thing I’ve heard said is that this class of DLinemen can all stop the run. I like the true DT from UGA & all of a sudden I like the Edge guy from Purdue. He’s way more athletic than he’s being given credit for & is exceptional vs the run. Kid is 6’4, 270, very quick. He can get to the QB with a variety of moves & can also stuff the run. Could be there at 23 too.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If our QB is the franchise player many claim he is then he should be able to elevate the play of WRs available to him and we should definitely go defense in round one either an edge player or that stout DT. I agree with Jet take a player who has played the same position for multiple seasons and not one of these multi position players who can play here and there but are master of none.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I liked olave last season but didn’t watch much OSU this year. Haven’t watched much of the others other than Jamison, who is coming off injury and couldn’t beat out the two OSU receivers. As much as I want a WR I’m getting the feel this class just isn’t very impressive. Not sure any of them ever become a #1 post nuk.

Not that Lamb is anything special but that was a miss. I was wrong about that in real time and I think it will be in SK’s mind not to pass on a weapon for Kyler in the first rd this time around.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but Joe Burrow also couldn’t beat out Dwayne Haskins. I don’t think Jameson should get dinked for that.
It doesn’t remove him from my list, but it causes a moments hesitation, particularly when I don’t think either of the OSU are slam dunk world beaters. Overall I just think this WR class (other than the later totally unexpected surprises that seem to occur in every draft) may turn out a handful of #2s and not much else.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I have to agree with you here. We'll continue to argue about pass rush and sacks, but Chandler's leaving alone helps against the run.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not that Lamb is anything special but that was a miss. I was wrong about that in real time and I think it will be in SK’s mind not to pass on a weapon for Kyler in the first rd this time around.
I know that need is not the way to go in the Draft, but our NEED for a WR is just too great to pass on a WR in the 1st round, and maybe in the 2nd or 3rd as well. JMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is surely just a media thing. Happens every year. They get bored of talking about the guys they have been talking about the past year and all go nuts over the new thing.

I'd be surprised if the league see it this way.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to agree with you here. We'll continue to argue about pass rush and sacks, but Chandler's leaving alone helps against the run.
Agree. I generally always go back & rewatch the entire season like 3 times before the draft. Chandler was quite capable of being better against the run than he was MOST of the time. He would make a great play vs the run & then would literally disappear. He could get off blocks just fine, but would stand & watch at times. Wasn't in his heart to be a consistent run stopper. Just wasn't. He can still get to the QB when he's motivated to do so. I think he's motivated going into this season, so I would expect him to get double digit sacks this year. Everything being said, he was done in AZ. In his mind, it was time to move on. Cardinals felt the same way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I generally always go back & rewatch the entire season like 3 times before the draft. Chandler was quite capable of being better against the run than he was MOST of the time. He would make a great play vs the run & then would literally disappear. He could get off blocks just fine, but would stand & watch at times. Wasn't in his heart to be a consistent run stopper. Just wasn't. He can still get to the QB when he's motivated to do so. I think he's motivated going into this season, so I would expect him to get double digit sacks this year. Everything being said, he was done in AZ. In his mind, it was time to move on. Cardinals felt the same way.

Chandlers issue was no patience. After the 5 sack start he was so keen to have a big comeback season and cash in and FA he sold out for the pass rush every single snap. Had no patience or intelligence at all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is surely just a media thing. Happens every year. They get bored of talking about the guys they have been talking about the past year and all go nuts over the new thing.

The shift from Thibs to Walker has more legs around the league than what you think. Remember, this is a dinosaur thinking league for the most part. A player like Walker is going to peak far more interest in the "run the ball, stop the run" crowd than a guy like Thibs who people are now classifying as having work ethic questions.

What I feel you are missing is that this critique of the EDGE players is what you normally see from QBs. Also, if you recall, it was present during the solid OT year with Thomas/Wirfs/Wills and Becton. Guys start getting picked apart but they all still go top 20.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This guy will climb draft boards like Shawn Merriman did some years a go

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

A month or two before the draft in 2016 many media analysts had Robert Nkemdiche in their top ten, but questions about his work ethic and snap-to-snap effort caused him to slide. That is the same that Thibodeaux is reportedly being questioned about. Make no mistake, it is absolutely possible that he will slide. It only takes one team, so he could easily be picked highly, but don't be sure of it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A month or two before the draft in 2016 many media analysts had Robert Nkemdiche in their top ten, but questions about his work ethic and snap-to-snap effort caused him to slide. That is the same that Thibodeaux is reportedly being questioned about. Make no mistake, it is absolutely possible that he will slide. It only takes one team, so he could easily be picked highly, but don't be sure of it.
Yes, he's either very confident or very cocky. He's a physical specimin, just not certain what's going on upstairs. He was the #1 HS player in the country. Claims he chose Oregon over Alabama because of the Nike brand, and how that would equate to $$ down the road. Many teams have been put off by their interview with him. I just don't see him sliding into the 20's, but who knows. Someone will either draft a stud or a head case.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the OSU receivers are going to be very good. That said, I’d take Jamison over both of them.

Sadly, I think all 3 will be gone by 23.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Ikem Ekwonu. So bummed for us as I was hoping we would get him before the college season started. It reminds me of Khalil Mack. I was like he would be a great option in the 20s and then shows he is the player I loved and he goes top 5.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Ikem Ekwonu. So bummed for us as I was hoping we would get him before the college season started. It reminds me of Khalil Mack. I was like he would be a great option in the 20s and then shows he is the player I loved and he goes top 5.
Khalil mack?