Next Season, The Suns should give Stanley Roberts a shot.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think the Suns need to atleast give this guy a workout. He was reinstated earlier this season and still has not been contacted for a workout. This guy was "Better than Shaq" when they played at LSU together but his NBA Carreer never really got off the ground due to obvious problems. You guys should watch this video on him, it's pretty interesting.

Id like to see him atleast given a shot somewhere, if not Phoenix. The man is huge. (7'1 305, built well..not fat) If anything he would be able to body up Shaq respectably.

http://www.phxsuns.net/downloads/media/Stanley Roberts.mpg

http://www.phxsuns.net

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Call me crazy,

Okay. You're crazy.

Roberts has bad influence written all over him. Maybe a team like Portland could afford to gamble on him. But the Suns' chemistry is fragile, and the last thing they need is for Stoudemire to be influenced by some big guy with great talent who never came close to realizing his potential.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Haha, Im already thinking twice about giving him a shot. I guess I was influenced by the ESPN video. ;) ..and Im so starved for a legit center that I may be reaching. Frank, please just give BIG Jake consistant minutes!

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/4966106.htm

The reprieve came nearly three weeks ago, but Stanley Roberts was not quite ready.

His surgically-repaired left ankle still had not healed. And there were lingering community service hours to complete, and papers to sign before returning to professional basketball.

Roberts has waited more than three years to come back to the National Basketball Association. During that time, he cleaned up his drug problem, served his probation for cocaine possession, endured the snickers and slights, and got by with what little remained of the millions he had earned while playing for eight NBA seasons.

What, really, were another couple weeks?

Yesterday, the National Basketball Association reinstated Roberts, a onetime 76ers center who, on Nov. 24, 1999, became the first player to be banned under the league's anti-drug program. Although Roberts played in just five games for the Sixers, averaging two points and three rebounds in 1999-2000, the Sixers retain his rights, and have 30 days to decide whether to create a roster spot for him.

Undoubtedly, the Sixers, like many teams across the league, could use a skilled 7-foot-1 big man to clog the middle, alter shots and grab rebounds. But just as certain is the uncertainly over what Roberts, at 32, has left to offer.

"I never knew if Stanley really loved to play," Larry Brown, who also coached Roberts with the Los Angeles Clippers in 1992-93, said yesterday after the Sixers prepared for tonight's game against Milwaukee. "I know he liked a lot of things that come with being a professional athlete...

"I love Stanley. He's a friend. I've had him around. I was sick when he went through that problem. I've spoken to him since. He's anxious to try to get back in the league, so we'll see what happens."

Roberts' problem was that he tested positive for what the NBA called an amphetamine-based drug. Several months after his 1999 banishment, Roberts was arrested in Orlando following an argument with the mother of one of his children; charges later were dropped. A few months later, Roberts was arrested in Houston for cocaine possession, and he plea-bargained to five years probation.

He has taken, and passed, a weekly drug test for the last year, while working out at a Houston gym frequented during the off-season by NBA players.

Since his season playing with Shaquille O'Neal at Louisiana State, Roberts has been considered a letdown. A lot of talent, not enough initiative. Roberts had several injuries, plus a penchant for the extracurricular activities that have doomed other professional careers.

But Roberts, who was featured in the Dec. 23, 2002, Sports Illustrated and declined an interview request yesterday, has changed, his Memphis-based agent Brian Parker said yesterday.

"He's grateful for the opportunity, because he realizes not a lot of people get a second chance in life after going through what he went through, and his chance is an opportunity to play in the NBA," Parker said. "He knows he's fortunate to be at this point after having gone through so much. He's really focused in on working hard and proving that he has matured and he has learned from his mistakes. Obviously, it's better to learn those things later in life than to never have learned them at all."

With a lingering injury to Todd MacCulloch and no true center to back him up, the Sixers could use another big man. They must pay newly acquired guard Kenny Satterfield for the remainder of this season, although it is conceivable they could waive Satterfield to create a spot for Roberts.

Brown has a history of trying to help players with problems, and of giving people second chances. Parker, the agent, said he has heard from several teams about possibly having Roberts in for a workout, although as of yesterday afternoon, the Sixers were not one of them.

"He's a good guy," Brown said. "He made a mistake. A lot of guys in this league have made mistakes... . I know his strengths, and I know his weaknesses, and I don't think he'd ever do anything to hurt anybody. He sometimes hurts himself.

"Coach Brown is like a father figure to him, and it would be good," Parker said. "... There's no question that Stanley not only loves Larry Brown, but respects him and will listen to everything he has to say to him. Not that he needs a baby-sitter, but he'll listen to him."

Yesterday, one wait ended. Roberts now endures another.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Wasn't this the guy with the nick name "hot plate"? I thought it was Stanley Hot-Plate Roberts? I could be wrong, but the rap I remember is he basically Oliver Millered himself out of a job. Aside from the drugs, I think they were really upset at his eating and not working out.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though this may sound like a good idea to a few of us, I would think there is less than a zero chance the Suns would even think about bringing in Roberts. He maybe all better now, but in the past he said several problems that would scare the hell out of the Colangelos. He has trouble with food, trouble with drugs, and trouble staying motivated.

Joe Mama

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
Wasn't this the guy with the nick name "hot plate"? I thought it was Stanley Hot-Plate Roberts? I could be wrong, but the rap I remember is he basically Oliver Millered himself out of a job. Aside from the drugs, I think they were really upset at his eating and not working out.

That was John Williams who also went to LSU, best HS player I ever saw(Crenshaw in LA).

Roberts is a guy who as Brown said never really loved the game he just loved what it got for him. In his senior year of HS they played in the King Cotton Classic in I believe Arkansas and they were one of the favorites to win. In the first or second round they went up against Monta Vista of Cupertino, CA(I'm from Cupertino but didn't go to Monta Vista). Monta Vista's center was 7'1" Ron Reis who went on to play at Santa Clara and when I last saw was a pro wrestler(not a particularly famous one). Roberts was one of the top 15 rated players in America, Reis was not nearly as highly rated despite his size. Reis outscored and outrebounded Roberts and Monta Vista shocked everyone and won the game.

I knew(haven't seen him in year) Reis at the time(I used to ref his games in YBA and junior high) and he said that late in the game Roberts told him "who cares I'm going to make more money in college than you'll make in your whole career." at the time Roberts was unsigned, it was a clear example of what was wrong with Stanley Roberts he was in it for the wrong reasons his entire recruitment was looking for money.

Roberts recruitment was amazing, someone in the Governor's office in South Carolina was investigated and fired for allegedly telling Roberts if he signed with SC his brother (on death row for murder at the time) would be pardoned by the governor! If he didn't sign, his Brother would stay on death row. While at LSU there was a big pay for play rumor/scandal involving boosters(LSU ultimately was hit with sanctions over it by the NCAA) with Roberts right in the middle of being paid.

Stanley has a ton of talent but he was notoriously lazy and not nearly as competitive as Shaq which is why Shaq is where he is and Stanley where he is.

It would be great after all these years if he got clean and and came back but you still have to wonder would the passion for the game be there now if it wasn't before?

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
From the video it just seems that if we sign him its just another center thats not going to make a huge impact and be in line for shaq to run over him when we face the lakers. If he didn't have the fire then, I really don't think he'll have it now. I guess everyone deserves a second chance, but the suns really don't need him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
after the 80s drug scandal and richard dumas and cliffy's pot no way is jerry c gonna take a flyer on someone with drug background.

john hot plate williams was a sad sad case of an extremely talented guy who just couldn't curb his enthusiasm at the dinner table. even all fat he was an excellent limited player for les bullets in d.c.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PHXSPORTS4LIFE
after the 80s drug scandal and richard dumas and cliffy's pot no way is jerry c gonna take a flyer on someone with drug background.

john hot plate williams was a sad sad case of an extremely talented guy who just couldn't curb his enthusiasm at the dinner table. even all fat he was an excellent limited player for les bullets in d.c.

Williams was amazing he came out of HS the same year as Danny Manning and personally I thought Williams was the better player. he was a legit power forward with alot of the ballhandling and passing skills of Webber. he could shoot, and he was pretty athletic, his soph year he completely dominated the SEC tournament.

But he got hurt, got fat, and never overcame it. Sad is right when I watch LeBron James now I can't help but hope he learns from guys like Williams who had the world by the tail at the same point in their career and failed to capitalize on it.

I think James has a better head on his shoulders though.