New League year New thread. Around the NFL 2020-21.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
interesting

the Ravens are a top 5 team in terms of front office / coaching staff.

even those teams whiff every now and again.

You can imagine what Thomas was like on a day to day basis when he played at a very high level, yet, two SB contending teams decided "no thanks"

He was the best FS in football last year in terms of pass coverage wins, but he obviously has an attitude.

Apparently Chuck Clark confronted him about a blown coverage and he got mad. He missed team and position meetings last season, so he wasn't viewed favorably before this incident.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA and the NBPA is reassessing their salary cap for next season with decreased revenue.

Is the NFL doing the same and how will it impact teams and players?

I'm not hearing much about decreased revenue impacting teams in the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA and the NBPA is reassessing their salary cap for next season with decreased revenue.

I don't see why the owners would reduce it. They are shooting themselves in the foot by having to gut their teams. It's also next to impossible to drive salaries down once they are established.

The cap is established by the owner/player revenue split in the CBA. It's much simpler and ultimately more profitable (long term) for the owners to change that split for one season to keep the cap the same.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why the owners would reduce it. They are shooting themselves in the foot by having to gut their teams. It's also next to impossible to drive salaries down once they are established.

The cap is established by the owner/player revenue split in the CBA. It's much simpler and ultimately more profitable (long term) for the owners to change that split for one season to keep the cap the same.

In the NBA there is a collective bargaining agreement where NBA owners and players share revenue through a collective bargaining agreement. So when revenue goes down it impacts what amount players are paid based upon this agreement. I guess I'm surprised the NFL isn't effected by declining revenue unless the pie is split differently or the NFL has a stronger stream of income.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must've missed this - it came out about a month ago:

NFL, NFLPA reach agreement on COVID-19 adjustments to CBA
Financially, the league will spread the impact of any 2020 revenue shortfall due to the pandemic over four years beginning in 2021. The salary cap will be at least $175 million in 2021, while the 2020 cap of $198.2 million remains unchanged. The two sides were able to reach an agreement after owners raised the minimum cap for 2021 from $165 million to $175 million and dropped their request for an $8 million reduction in cap for 2020, per Pelissero.

In the event that financial losses are not as great as anticipated, the cap will be higher in 2021 than $175 million. Setting a floor simply provides clubs with a baseline with which they can plan financially.

...dave

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·
46m

Jaguars agreed to trade franchise DE Yannick Ngakoue to Minnesota for a second- and conditional fifth-round pick that could go as high a third-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Ngakoue still has to sign his tender, but trade is in place and Ngakoue is expected to be a Viking.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't see why the owners would reduce it. They are shooting themselves in the foot by having to gut their teams.

i think for at least 25 of the 32 owners, its a business first.

Keim was on this friday and pointed out that depending on what happens with the cap, teams may have to field a handful of stars, and then fill out the roster with young/cheap players

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think for at least 25 of the 32 owners, its a business first.

Keim was on this friday and pointed out that depending on what happens with the cap, teams may have to field a handful of stars, and then fill out the roster with young/cheap players

And then he spend big bucks for a safety with no covering skills
That would be a stupid managing of the salary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard