NCAA 2004 College Football

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night, I was playing as Illinois at Purdue. Purdue was ranked #12. Is it possible the computer kept making me fumble to keep Purdue in the game?

Also, at the end of the game, the teams were tied. Instead of kicking a 40 yard FG to win, Purdue passes with time running out. Illinois tackles the WR with one second to go. Then the refs call facemasking to stop the clock!!! To give them a chance to kick to FG!!! Is it possible that the computer would cheat that bad to let Purdue win?

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Last night, I was playing as Illinois at Purdue. Purdue was ranked #12. Is it possible the computer kept making me fumble to keep Purdue in the game?

Also, at the end of the game, the teams were tied. Instead of kicking a 40 yard FG to win, Purdue passes with time running out. Illinois tackles the WR with one second to go. Then the refs call facemasking to stop the clock!!! To give them a chance to kick to FG!!! Is it possible that the computer would cheat that bad to let Purdue win?
Yes, in fact EA is known for this. It's usually referred to as "comeback code". EA used to have an option to turn comeback off in their old games. All of a sudden the option to turn it off disappeared, yet many people like myself believe that it's still there. The reasoning behind it is that close games are "fun" but it's a lame way of covering up bad AI programming.

The computer gets a rating boost and you're more likely to fumble and cause penalties. I remember seeing 3 penalties all in a row to stop the clock. You'll notice that 80% of fumbles in the game come in the 2nd half ;)

A lot of people believe it's not there, but I've seen too much to know it exists. EA's past history also suggests it's there. I haven't noticed it in Madden 2005 yet, but I also avoid All-Madden for these reasons. What difficulty do you play on?

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing. I have no idea what difficulty I play on. I just opened up the package and started playing. Seems hard enough at times for me.

I can't completely blame the game. My wife was trying to distract me in the second half of the game. The fumbles and the penalty with :01 left just made me scream.

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Funny thing. I have no idea what difficulty I play on. I just opened up the package and started playing. Seems hard enough at times for me.

I can't completely blame the game. My wife was trying to distract me in the second half of the game. The fumbles and the penalty with :01 left just made me scream.
Nah, just blame the game :thumbup:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Any idea what the default difficulty level is?
It's either the 2nd or 3rd level of difficulty (Varsity or All-American). I'm guessing it's Varsity. I play on All-American.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I agree. I'm in dynasty mode, year two w/ASU.

I was playing ASU vs Boston College last night & I was up 30-13 mid 4th qtr (7 min qtrs) & was driving for a score. My RB busts through the line, no one around but a CB & the guy stips the ball & recovers.

I crush him on 1st down - no gain. 2nd down - I had a 4-3 cover 2 & I play the L DE. I rushed their QB, switched to my DT who was closer & jumped to get the sack.

He throws the ball & I suddenly become my DB playing the deep zone. Dude runs a skinny post, my DB dives (I thought I was controlling the DT) & he scored from 81 yds out. He goes for 2 & I snuff him.

30-19. Onside kick, I recover. I get 2 holding calls & 1 unsportsmanlike conduct & I got 3rd & a mile & don't convert so I punt.

He runs it 40 yds to the 50. 1st play, I snuff the run.

2nd play, I am playing nickel double z WR. He thows to the Z in double cov w/safety help (trip coverage!). The guy snags it & hauls it in for a score.

He gets the 2 pt conv - 30-27 now w/1:30 left.

He onside kicks. I recover but I throw a pick to a wide open WR (bounced off his hands, deflected to their DB).

He drives down the field, but I blitz & knock his QB out. Last play, I sack the back up.

The game freezes up & I can't save it

THat's the second time that's happened - 1st tie I whipped BC 41-7 & at the end game screen, it freezes up

I had 3 picks, a DT strip the ball & rumble 40 yards for a td (Corso yelling "Look at the big guy go! This wil make highlight films all over the nation!"), 2 RBs over 100 yds....

:hammer:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
I agree. I'm in dynasty mode, year two w/ASU.

I was playing ASU vs Boston College last night & I was up 30-13 mid 4th qtr (7 min qtrs) & was driving for a score. My RB busts through the line, no one around but a CB & the guy stips the ball & recovers.

I crush him on 1st down - no gain. 2nd down - I had a 4-3 cover 2 & I play the L DE. I rushed their QB, switched to my DT who was closer & jumped to get the sack.

He throws the ball & I suddenly become my DB playing the deep zone. Dude runs a skinny post, my DB dives (I thought I was controlling the DT) & he scored from 81 yds out. He goes for 2 & I snuff him.

30-19. Onside kick, I recover. I get 2 holding calls & 1 unsportsmanlike conduct & I got 3rd & a mile & don't convert so I punt.

He runs it 40 yds to the 50. 1st play, I snuff the run.

2nd play, I am playing nickel double z WR. He thows to the Z in double cov w/safety help (trip coverage!). The guy snags it & hauls it in for a score.

He gets the 2 pt conv - 30-27 now w/1:30 left.

He onside kicks. I recover but I throw a pick to a wide open WR (bounced off his hands, deflected to their DB).

He drives down the field, but I blitz & knock his QB out. Last play, I sack the back up.

The game freezes up & I can't save it

THat's the second time that's happened - 1st tie I whipped BC 41-7 & at the end game screen, it freezes up

I had 3 picks, a DT strip the ball & rumble 40 yards for a td (Corso yelling "Look at the big guy go! This wil make highlight films all over the nation!"), 2 RBs over 100 yds....

My game has frozen up twice too. I have a theory as to why it happens and how to fix it. I noticed this only happens during close games or great comebacks that should come up as a "greatest game". It always freezes when I press "X" to skip the ending cutscenes (it froze in the same spot). So I just let the cutscenes play. Since I've been doing that, I've had no greatest games freeze up on me. I don't know if this actually works, but hopefully it fixes the problem for you.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
schel said:
My game has frozen up twice too. I have a theory as to why it happens and how to fix it. I noticed this only happens during close games or great comebacks that should come up as a "greatest game". It always freezes when I press "X" to skip the ending cutscenes (it froze in the same spot). So I just let the cutscenes play. Since I've been doing that, I've had no greatest games freeze up on me. I don't know if this actually works, but hopefully it fixes the problem for you.
I'll try that. I do skip the scenes - so I'll keep them.

Thanks

jmcclain19

Reaction score
I don't agree that it's an inherent part to the game.

I was absolutely stomping people as Boise St. on Varsity.

After a few games of that, I moved up to All-American.

I find some games are even, some are not, just like real football. I dominated ASU 35-3 as NC State, and just barely beat Arkansas when I was playing as Iowa.

It's random, don't give the Computer AI that much credit.

You also may want to try to edit your sliders a bit. Bump them up and down, make it more interesting.

That being said, I love the game, although I do note that EA is slowly begining to clutter the heck out of the game play and dynasty mode with its constant add ons and 1 ups. What was once a quick thing (dynasty mode) is growing into a monster. Games have all kinds of graphics filling up the screen. What's helpful when I'm watching a game on television turns into an irritant when I'm playing PS2. Hopefully they clean it up, otherwise, the game I've bought for 6 or 7 straight seasons will lose me as a fan.