NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If LMA says yes to the Suns, Phoenix will trade away the twins at a heartbeat.

The question is who and what they have to and would attach.

For example they send Granger and CLE 1st alongside with the twins even without thinking twice.

Isn't Markieff and Marcus Morris, Granger and CLE 2016 1st for LMA a great deal?

The problem is other teams will know how desperate the Suns will be with unloading the twins and I doubt it will be so easy as described above.

Sure, but the twins also have value. I'm guessing far more than Suns fans think they do. JR Smith has value. Rondo has value. Two far less reputations league wide and they get contracts/teams trading for them. Neither IMO is better than Markieff. I'm just saying these are two young guys with decent stats on low deals. I believe there will be enough teams that want them for essentially free or will even give a pick. It only takes more than one. If there is only one team, than sure. I highly doubt that the case though.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure, but the twins also have value. I'm guessing far more than Suns fans think they do. JR Smith has value. Rondo has value. Two far less reputations league wide and they get contracts/teams trading for them.

JR Smith had negative trade value when he got traded to the Cavs, Shumpert was the price of taking Smith's contract.

Rondo did net something for the Celtics but I believe that the Morris twins being on a long-term contract (even if they are fair or cap-friendly) might be considered a minus as they are waiting for a judge to decide which direction their careers/life will go on.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JR Smith had negative trade value when he got traded to the Cavs, Shumpert was the price of taking Smith's contract.

Rondo did net something for the Celtics but I believe that the Morris twins being on a long-term contract (even if they are fair or cap-friendly) might be considered a minus as they are waiting for a judge to decide which direction their careers/life will go on.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. We'll just have to wait to see how it plays out. I think folks are making far too much out of the legal trouble the twins got themselves into and whether it will make an impact on trading the twins. The likely outcome is the guy they supposedly beat up will get paid off and they will get a slap on the wrist. You know how these things usually go.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weren't the twins suppose to have a court date Tuesday? Anybody know the outcome or if it was rescheduled?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren't the twins suppose to have a court date Tuesday? Anybody know the outcome or if it was rescheduled?

Marcus and Markieff Morris are scheduled for a Pretrial conference on 8/3 the last I heard.

For what it's worth, I'm expecting a plea bargain on or before this date.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm certain I didn't misread your comments about "the front office being forced into an expensive panic dump" if they don't have any leads. It sounded to me that you thought it possible they don't have a plan, they haven't been doing their diligence.

Ah, okay. Yes, I think it is possible that they don't have a plan. I haven't thought about putting a percentage on it, but I'd say it's more likely that they have a plan than that they don't.

I like the Chandler signing a lot, but I still think that this front office has made some blunders, with the mis-handling of the Thomas/Bledsoe situation at the top of the list. It's a tough game, NBA GMing, and I'm not saying I'd be any better at it. But, come on, if you watch a pitcher miss the strike zone on four straight pitches with the bases loaded, it's fair to call that a mistake, even if the pitcher is good overall.

I know that the Suns' front office is trying hard and getting some good things done, but I also know that they are capable of spectacular error.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They should have been able to get a lot more for Isaiah Thomas that is my major problem.
Zach Lowe just reminded me of that, Isaiah Thomas makes something like $7M, 6.5, $6M over the next 3 years.

That is such a bargain contract for a player of that caliber.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay. Yes, I think it is possible that they don't have a plan. I haven't thought about putting a percentage on it, but I'd say it's more likely that they have a plan than that they don't.

I like the Chandler signing a lot, but I still think that this front office has made some blunders, with the mis-handling of the Thomas/Bledsoe situation at the top of the list. It's a tough game, NBA GMing, and I'm not saying I'd be any better at it. But, come on, if you watch a pitcher miss the strike zone on four straight pitches with the bases loaded, it's fair to call that a mistake, even if the pitcher is good overall.

I know that the Suns' front office is trying hard and getting some good things done, but I also know that they are capable of spectacular error.

I learned from the Jerry Colangelo days, it's not so much if one makes a mistake but how quickly one recovers from it... and then moves forward again. I still have high hopes for Ryan McDonough even if they cannot sign Aldridge. However, there is the potential for a huge mistake if they have not planned how they make room for Aldridge. The Suns need to be able to keep their talent base.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned from the Jerry Colangelo days, it's not so much if one makes a mistake but how quickly one recovers from it... and then moves forward again. I still have high hopes for Ryan McDonough even if they cannot sign Aldridge. However, there is the potential for a huge mistake if they have not planned how they make room for Aldridge. The Suns need to be able to keep their talent base.

Great post but I would have to believe that McDonough is not stupid enough to go after someone like Aldridge without having a plan to move contracts to sign him. I also, don't think Sarver who is a business man would let that happen either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns have a plan to make room for Aldridge but will the fans like the plan? It could involve moving desirable player(s) or good draft picks but there is always a cost.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great post but I would have to believe that McDonough is not stupid enough to go after someone like Aldridge without having a plan to move contracts to sign him. I also, don't think Sarver who is a business man would let that happen either.

Absolutely. There is definitely a plan, and one thing I've learned is that McD always has something up his sleeve, usually something nobody is expecting (like the Chandler signing).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns have a plan to make room for Aldridge but will the fans like the plan? It could involve moving desirable player(s) or good draft picks but there is always a cost.

If it guarantees LMA, do you honestly think there is ANY player outside of Alex Len who fans wouldn't help out the door? And even Len is debatable. I doubt you'll see many fans tear up their season tickets if we sign LMA and lose just about anybody else on the roster.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. There is definitely a plan, and one thing I've learned is that McD always has something up his sleeve, usually something nobody is expecting (like the Chandler signing).

I think someone mentioned it earlier but McD is getting a reputation for keeping certain things under wraps that nobody really had seen coming. I am sure many studio execs would be interested in him keeping productions secret. ;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it guarantees LMA, do you honestly think there is ANY player outside of Alex Len who fans wouldn't help out the door? And even Len is debatable. I doubt you'll see many fans tear up their season tickets if we sign LMA and lose just about anybody else on the roster.

I suppose you are right about most fans. However, I am always counting the chips. :)

However, the Suns need a star player and this is the opportunity they have been waiting for. This would be a huge signing for the Suns so they have to go for it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gotta hope this is true and gotta agree that even Len's debatable and could be on the table and I'm fine with that.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gotta hope this is true and gotta agree that even Len's debatable and could be on the table and I'm fine with that.
While Len oozes with potential, injuries and consistency are the reasons PHX had to go and sign TC. Chandler is the starter so Len needs to stay healthy and make the most of the playing time he gets off the bench or if POR has a change of heart and wants him in a deal for Aldridge you do it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Len oozes with potential, injuries and consistency are the reasons PHX had to go and sign TC. Chandler is the starter so Len needs to stay healthy and make the most of the playing time he gets off the bench or if POR has a change of heart and wants him in a deal for Aldridge you do it.

If you can't do a sign and trade for a five year contract, the Suns have other teams to unload contracts. I think it would take a lot to pry Len away from the Suns when they have other players to move.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you can't do a sign and trade for a five year contract, the Suns have other teams to unload contracts. I think it would take a lot to pry Len away from the Suns when they have other players to move.
Oh, I thought that their 4 year max could be more than the 4 year max we could offer. Well if that's the case then so be it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If they can get LMA, they need to do it, regardless of what they are giving up. Nothing, including Len and Miami picks should be off limits.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they can get LMA, they need to do it, regardless of what they are giving up. Nothing, including Len and Miami picks should be off limits.

The hard part is done. They now have enough cap to sign LMA. They unloaded Marcus, Granger and Bullock.

Trading Kieff by himself should be easy. Good grief, we should be able to get a 1st rounder back, now that he doesn't have his brother attached.

Actions have consequences, Keef and Mook.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whatever happens with the suns, at least it's fun to see the lakers now turned into the old clippers... and doesn't look to be changing for a while.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever happens with the suns, at least it's fun to see the lakers now turned into the old clippers... and doesn't look to be changing for a while.

How great would it be to see the Clips relevant and the Lakers irrelevant for the next 10?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

How great would it be to see the Clips relevant and the Lakers irrelevant for the next 10?
Hold those thoughts, LA is getting a second visit from LMA despite rumors he eliminated them from contention for his services.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So who is left for the Suns?

I am inclined to stand pat and give our youngsters some experience next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who is left for the Suns?

I am inclined to stand pat and give our youngsters some experience next year.

Paul Coro wrote what I interpreted as an except your fate article at azcentral dated 7-4-15 for the Suns. Maybe it's just me seeing the aftermath of the Suns chasing another top free agent and losing. See the link to the article which contains much more information.

The Suns still will look to add shooting, experience, frontline help and a third point guard in free agency. They will remain open to using their cache of draft picks and young talent in a trade that lands an elite player, which they acknowledge needing to reach the next tier. Until that type of deal becomes available, it appears they will tweak the roster in free agency with role players and count on maturation from their young standouts.

That could mean pursuit of a free agent power forward like Brandon Bass, Jordan Hill, Darrell Arthur or Andrea Bargnani, a wing shooter like Rasual Butler or Dorell Wright, a defensive wing like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and a backup point guard like C.J. Watson, Ish Smith or a Euroleague player. There also are sentimental free agency options, like a Suns return for Amar'e Stoudemire, who is interested in doing so, or a hometown career finish for Richard Jefferson.

The Suns did not want to be tied up on a free agency chase unless they had a legitimate chance. Aldridge gave them that optimism in a Wednesday meeting that put Phoenix ahead of his five other suitors. Several other free agents gave commitments in the meantime and Sacramento held a salary-dump auction for Jason Thompson, Carl Landry and Nik Stauskas.

One of my opinions of the Suns last season is that another center could have helped immensely. The Suns have one now in Chandler. I think some more strength at PF could help as well. I don't think the Suns winning season in 2013–14 was a fluke even though they did miss the playoffs. I think this Suns team can be better.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...after-lamarcus-aldridge-picks-spurs/29715099/