NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spurs talk is convinced that LMA's agent is leaking this to make the Suns look good in an effort to thank the Suns for Brandon Knight's contract since Knight and LMA both have the same agent and that LMA himself doesn't actually have any interest in the Suns.

Similar to last year with Rich Paul and LeBron/Bledsoe?

That's pretty intricate speculation. And such a favor would be unneccesary.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd imagine they wouldn't hesitate in trading picks to get a player the caliber of LMA. I mean adding a player like him while only losing the twins may push us to top 4-5 in the West.

Yup, the reason you have those picks is to get a player like him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's pretty intricate speculation. And such a favor would be unneccesary.

They already have a "LMA isn't that good anyway" type thread on that forum ready to go in case he doesn't pick them as well :p

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If LMA decides to go to SA, I hope PHX makes a play for Jordan Hill. I think he has enough of an outside shot to compliment Chandler and is a pretty good rebounder (better than Kieff).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If LMA decides to go to SA, I hope PHX makes a play for Jordan Hill. I think he has enough of an outside shot to compliment Chandler and is a pretty good rebounder (better than Kieff).

I think signing Jordon Hill would be a smart move. However, if the Lakers don't sign someone soon they may give him whatever he wants. Ed Davis is also a nice target.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we miss out on LMA, Suns should aggressively go after David West. He would be a nice consolation prize.

Him and Chandler together would give our front court some stability and leadership.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would anyone realistically take any of the Morris twins with their court case pending??

Of course. Especially if the Suns gave them away which I doubt would have to happen. Guys far worse on the court and off it get traded and stay in the league.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we miss out on LMA, Suns should aggressively go after David West. He would be a nice consolation prize.

Him and Chandler together would give our front court some stability and leadership.

No thank you. I'd give up assets for Aldridge, not West.
I like West, but I wouldn't trade away young guys to get money for him, especially what he's likely to get.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No thank you. I'd give up assets for Aldridge, not West.
I like West, but I wouldn't trade away young guys to get money for him, especially what he's likely to get.

You wouldn't trade away Morris for him?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns might have to include one of the Heat picks to sweeten the deal, but it could be done. Hopefully they already have a few promising leads, if they think they're real contenders for Aldridge. Otherwise they might be forced into an expensive panic dump to make room for Aldridge if he actually chooses them.

Do you honestly believe they don't have a plan? I know there's a contingent on this board who believe themselves basketball genius' and the Suns front office to be idiots, but I never thought you were in the group. Please say you're not.

Since before free agency began and into the first several hours I saw this group bitching and moaning about how dumb the Suns are and how they aren't doing anything. They had something negative to say about every supposed rumor that came out and even critical when they didn't see any rumors. Now we find out they signed Chandler and had a nice group and presentation set up for Aldridge. He is seriously considering the Suns. Now that same group is critical of them for not having a plan to create cap space if he agrees to sign with Phoenix.

They repeatedly look like idiots with their nonsense and inflated view of their knowledge/intelligence. I just can't see you in that group. Please tell me you don't actually believe the Suns F.O. to be that stupid that they are just flying by the seat of their pants and drooling morons. Please....

IMO there are several on this board that should be eating crow, but they are too ignorant to know it.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You wouldn't trade away Morris for him?

No. As for on court, he doesn't bring much more than Morris does. He's way older and will decline soon if he hasn't started to already. He would have been great if they had the money, but I wouldn't trade Morris for him, no.

Morris is young. He's not all that bright. He will grow up. He will learn. At his rate it's worth another year or two to see if he makes progress in that area. He was expected to lead last year, he's not a leader. It's clearly not a role that suits him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think signing Jordon Hill would be a smart move. However, if the Lakers don't sign someone soon they may give him whatever he wants. Ed Davis is also a nice target.
I don't know how much Hill is looking for but Davis is said to be seeking between $7M - $10M a year so I wonder if Hill will be looking for more since he was making $9M a year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much Hill is looking for but Davis is said to be seeking between $7M - $10M a year so I wonder if Hill will be looking for more since he was making $9M a year.

I think Hill would want more. Maybe Tyson Chandler type money? However, asking for it and getting it are two different things. Maybe if the market starts to dry up he will settle for less.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hill would want more. Maybe Tyson Chandler type money? However, asking for it and getting it are two different things. Maybe if the market starts to dry up he will settle for less.

That's the key for a lot of these 2nd/3rd tier guys. Who is left standing when all the big money is gone?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
How much more $ can the Suns offer if they can acquire him via S&T vs the Spurs just signing him outright?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much more $ can the Suns offer if they can acquire him via S&T vs the Spurs just signing him outright?

If Portland would do a sign and trade for Aldridge, the receiving team could pay him for an extra year. A five year contract instead of a four year contract. I dare not guess the amount. I'm still not convinced that the Blazers can not be persuaded to do this. They could stand to gain a lot such as draft picks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Portland would do a sign and trade for Aldridge, the receiving team could pay him for an extra year. A five year contract instead of a four year contract. I dare not guess the amount. I'm still not convinced that the Blazers can not be persuaded to do this. They could stand to gain a lot such as draft picks.

I could be wrong but I heard some insider say 5 year deals via S&T aren't allowed anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't have time to read your article, but you cannot get a 5th year in a sign and trade. Only if the original team with your bird rights gives you the 5th year and you play for the club. I think he wouldn't be eligible to be traded by Portland if he signed a 5 year deal for several months.

The Spurs and Suns (any team other than Portland) can sign him for 4 years at whatever the rate is. As for money, it's all even between Spurs and Suns..

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe they don't have a plan? I know there's a contingent on this board who believe themselves basketball genius' and the Suns front office to be idiots, but I never thought you were in the group. Please say you're not.

I'm enough of a genius to know what the plural of "genius" is, but other than that, I don't follow you. I said "Hopefully they already have a few promising leads." I didn't say, "I doubt they know what they're doing," or, "They sure would be better off if I was in charge."

They repeatedly look like idiots with their nonsense and inflated view of their knowledge/intelligence. I just can't see you in that group. Please tell me you don't actually believe the Suns F.O. to be that stupid that they are just flying by the seat of their pants and drooling morons.

There are also a bunch of people on this board with abysmal reading skills and who make assumptions about what is intended in a post that go far beyond what the post actually says. Please tell me you aren't in that group.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are also a bunch of people on this board with abysmal reading skills and who make assumptions about what is intended in a post that go far beyond what the post actually says. Please tell me you aren't in that group.

Are you calling me an idiot!!!!???

;)

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of course. Especially if the Suns gave them away which I doubt would have to happen.

If LMA says yes to the Suns, Phoenix will trade away the twins at a heartbeat.

The question is who and what they have to and would attach.

For example they send Granger and CLE 1st alongside with the twins even without thinking twice.

Isn't Markieff and Marcus Morris, Granger and CLE 2016 1st for LMA a great deal?

The problem is other teams will know how desperate the Suns will be with unloading the twins and I doubt it will be so easy as described above.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm enough of a genius to know what the plural of "genius" is, but other than that, I don't follow you. I said "Hopefully they already have a few promising leads." I didn't say, "I doubt they know what they're doing," or, "They sure would be better off if I was in charge."

Ha! You got me.

Well, I may be the dumbest person here, but I'm certain I didn't misread your comments about "the front office being forced into an expensive panic dump" if they don't have any leads. It sounded to me that you thought it possible they don't have a plan, they haven't been doing their diligence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen