NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm wondering for how much would Jordan Hill be available. If he accepts 4-5 mil./year, I would offer him a 2-3-year deal.

I would sign Nick Calathes to a 6 mil./2 year offer sheet.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 4h4 hours ago
Wizards free agent F Kevin Seraphin getting interest from Wizards, Lakers, Suns & possibly Spurs (if they lose out on D. West), source said.

Probably leaked by his agent. Wouldn't be shocked if the Suns are looking into the availabilty of Gallanari and/or the Manimal since Denver is going into tank mode (they were putting Lawson on the block allegedly)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of activity from the Suns after losing out on Aldridge. I figured McD would be quick to snag a couple players that he had targeted. Perhaps those guys were already signed while we danced with Aldridge.

I realize not much out there is really appealing but we have at least another 4 roster spots to fill.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of activity from the Suns after losing out on Aldridge. I figured McD would be quick to snag a couple players that he had targeted. Perhaps those guys were already signed while we danced with Aldridge.

I realize not much out there is really appealing but we have at least another 4 roster spots to fill.

I bet they're trying to gauge how much of a pain in the butt Morris will be. Its not like these remaining guys are getting gobbled up anyway, no need to rush into a possible panic signing.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

To be fair there were a lot of FAs that were waiting to see where the 2 big FAs (LMA and DeAndre) went. McD also works very quietly so he may have some moves lined up but just haven't announced them yet

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if there are any good moves yet besides handing the ball to the kids.

There could be trades in order but those do not necessarily have to be done now. Also, while there has been alot of agreeing to contracts by free agents, teams might be willing to do Sac/Philly type deals to make the cap numbers work better.

If you can't sign the big free agent, then take a profit from those who have to make moves to do so.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Bass is reportedly going to sign with the Lakers.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238627/Brandon-Bass-Agrees-To-Deal-With-Lakers

Although Brandon Bass may have not been the PF the Suns need, I'm beginning to wonder what the Suns have in mind. Signing Jordon Hill or doing a trade might be the best options. Also it could be the Suns are just waiting for the leftovers to sign on low end contracts.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wondering if McD is working trades to try absorb salary from cap strapped teams kinda like what Philly did with Sacramento. Orlando and New Orleans just dropped a ton of cash on free agents; I wonder if Frye or Ryan Anderson could be had.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wondering if McD is working trades to try absorb salary from cap strapped teams kinda like what Philly did with Sacramento. Orlando and New Orleans just dropped a ton of cash on free agents; I wonder if Frye or Ryan Anderson could be had.

Didn't I just say that?:sad:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Bargnani is good. He was a star with the Raptors then sucked.
Matt Bonner guy is money from 3 point range.

Those 2 guys stand out among the rest of the free agents.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bargnani is good. He was a star with the Raptors then sucked.
Matt Bonner guy is money from 3 point range.

Those 2 guys stand out among the rest of the free agents.

My thoughts, as of the moment, the Suns must be working on a trade or there would be more movement to fill up the roster. If McDonough didn't have a plan B, he is working hard to develop one now.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of hacks have tweeted that the Suns are trying to move Markieff and are trying to acquire Ryan Anderson from New Orleans. Now 98.7's twitter handle is saying the same thing.

I like Anderson but not at the expense of Markieff. Swapping those players would make our power forward position even weaker. I want to see if Markieff steps up his game without his brother and don't want to move him unless we are upgrading the position. Gambo also said there was no way the Suns move Keef earlier today.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
A couple of hacks have tweeted that the Suns are trying to move Markieff and are trying to acquire Ryan Anderson from New Orleans. Now 98.7's twitter handle is saying the same thing.

I like Anderson but not at the expense of Markieff. Swapping those players would make our power forward position even weaker. I want to see if Markieff steps up his game without his brother and don't want to move him unless we are upgrading the position. Gambo also said there was no way the Suns move Keef earlier today.

All 98.7 did was re-tweet what was posted by the hack. Pretty much everyone is in the dark about what McD is doing including the home station so we are all in speculation mode.

The guy who came up with this rumor also said that LMA was coming here half an hour before he made his decision to go to the Spurs.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Better keeping Markieff. More upside.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have no idea what could we do with Haywood's contract other than swapping it with Markieff but I doubt that the Suns would dump him for cap space and the Cavs have no other assets left than a future 1st rounder.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea what could we do with Haywood's contract other than swapping it with Markieff but I doubt that the Suns would dump him for cap space and the Cavs have no other assets left than a future 1st rounder.

+ 1. If that were the case they should have dealt for Lee, he would have at least filled a need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns traded for Haywood, wouldn't this give them $20 million of cap space?

That's a lot of leverage for teams needing to make trades or move players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns traded for Haywood, wouldn't this give them $20 million of cap space?

That's a lot of leverage for teams needing to make trades or move players.

If they traded for Haywood it would be because there is something else cooking. They don't need the space, in fact, they have to fill the space with someone and Kieff is better than anyone else they could sign at the moment.

I don't think there is anything to it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they traded for Haywood it would be because there is something else cooking. They don't need the space, in fact, they have to fill the space with someone and Kieff is better than anyone else they could sign at the moment.

I don't think there is anything to it.

The Cavaliers are saying no but could Anderson Varejao be part of the trade? This would make a lot of sense plus the Suns could spend salary on other players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cavaliers are saying no but could Anderson Varejao be part of the trade? This would make a lot of sense plus the Suns could spend salary on other players.

Ok. Here is how it would have to work. It would be two separate trades. The Suns would accept Haywoods contract. They would then cut him. Then they would accept Varejao's contract. I cannot imagine Kieff would be part of this kind of trade . . .

unless he is throwing an absolute hissy fit behind closed doors. If that's the case, I suppose they could trade Haywood and Varejao for Morris.

I don't like any of it. I would rather keep Kieff and let him get over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here is how it would have to work. It would be two separate trades. The Suns would accept Haywoods contract. They would then cut him. Then they would accept Varejao's contract. I cannot imagine Kieff would be part of this kind of trade . . .

unless he is throwing an absolute hissy fit behind closed doors. If that's the case, I suppose they could trade Haywood and Varejao for Morris.

I don't like any of it. I would rather keep Kieff and let him get over it.

I'm thinking the Suns could trade Markieff for Varejao and then maybe trade the Cleveland pick for Haywood's contract.

This would still leave phoenix with about $10 million to spend if I understand it correctly.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns could trade Markieff for Varejao and then maybe trade the Cleveland pick for Haywood's contract.

This would still leave phoenix with about $10 million to spend if I understand it correctly.

Why would the Suns do that? They don't need the space right now. What are they going to do with it? They do not need to give up a pick to trade Kieff and Varejao is 32 with a history of injury. I just don't see why they would do this unless there is some other team that has a good player the Suns want that can be traded into cap space.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Something is cooking.....there's been no moves to fill out the roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard