Name one play you would like to see the Cardinals use on offense...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I think it's because you're trying to draw the eyes of the defense into the interior of the line on your base running plays. If you're "trick play" also moves into the middle of the defense, then you're playing right into where you want your opponent to be.

Chris Brown talks about designing and offense in his book Smart Football as essentially two sets of plays--your base offense (i.e., the stuff you do well) and "tendency busters", those plays that you turn to when opponents start making predictable adjustments to what you do well.

I think that the design of our offense is to draw opponents into the area of the field outside the hashmarks between the line of scrimmage and 10 yards downfield. Our "tendency busters" are therefore runs into the area between the guards and deep passes to the corners or down the seams.

That's why we keep running those terrible WR screens for three-yard losses, IMO--they're still kind of a win if your opponent is sitting on those routes, because we're going to be running John Brown behind those opponents in 8 or 10 or 15 more plays.

Arians is definitely patient, he saves the trick plays to the TE's for key moments in games. Then suddenly it's a screen to Housler or a play action pass to Carlson or Niklas etc.

I think he figures he trusts his WR's more than his TE's so he only is using them in situations where he needs a play and figures if we ignore them most of the game, they will be open when we really need one completion.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Larry, run down to the fire hydrant and cut into the middle. Take 4 steps and cut back towards the blue Chevy. I'll hit ya by the passenger side rear light.

Works every time

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Larry, run down to the fire hydrant and cut into the middle. Take 4 steps and cut back towards the blue Chevy. I'll hit ya by the passenger side rear light.

Works every time

That was from the Jake Plummer playbook, and sometimes they had great results lol

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Wheel route with Grice... have not seen it all year even when Ellington was so effective with it last year

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Have we yet to run a reverse with Brown? You know the Rams will be expecting a run on 1st down and would be so hyped up that they may overrun the first play of the game. With Brown's speed, it just might go all the way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson