My rankings

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let me start be writing a quote I heard the other day: “we are projecting concepts, not absolutes.” Meaning, I have no idea what will happen in the future. I can only guess based on these prospects.

I separate my rankings into sections (2A, 3C and so on). I don’t know how you compare an offensive tackle to a cornerback or the like, so you can make a list in chronological order.

There is verbiage going into my rankings. Players in 1A are supposed to be among the 10-15-20 best players at their position in the NFL. Players in the rest of the first round are supposed to be key players from day one. Players in the second- and third round are supposed to be key players within one or two years. Players in round four through seven are developmental players.

It probably goes without saying, but these are obviously my rankings and not where I project the prospects to be selected.

I want to write some answers to potential questions in advance:

I don’t have Murray ranked in the first round because I can’t get past the thought that he will run away to baseball whenever things go south, and I can’t figure out what the deal is with him and his dad. I just think there is something mysterious about the whole situation. As a pure quarterback, I would rank him in 1A. I think he is a very exiting quarterback prospect.

Yes, my quarterback rankings are inflated by position value. No, I would never draft a runningback in the first round.

The more game clips I watch, the more I am leaning toward Quinnen Williams being the best prospects in the draft. At least I know that him and Bosa are above all others.

Quarterbacks

Kyler Murray, Oklahoma – 2A

Drew Lock, Missouri – 2A

Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State – 2B

Daniel Jones – 2B

Will Grier – 2C

Runningbacks

Josh Jacobs, Alabama – 2A

Elijah Holyfield, Georgia – 3B

David Montgomery, Iowa State – 3C

Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic – 4B

Damien Harris, Alabama – 4B

Wide receivers

A.J. Brown, Ole Miss – 1B

Deebo Samuel, South Carolina – 2A

Marquis Brown, Oklahoma – 2A

N’Keal Harry, Arizona State – 2B

Parris Campbell, Ohio State – 2B

Tight ends

T.J. Hockenson, Iowa – 1B

Noah Fant, Iowa – 1C

Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M – 2B

Irv Smith, Alabama – 2B

Kaden Smith, Stanford – 2C

Offensive tackles

Jonas Williams, Alabama – 1B

Andre Dillard, Washington State – 1C

Jawaan Taylor, Florida – 2A

Greg Little, Ole Miss – 2A

Tytus Howard, Alabama State – 2C

Offensive guards

Cody Ford, Oklahoma – 1C

Chris Lindstrom, Boston College – 1C

Connor McGovern, Penn State – 2B

Terronne Prescod, N.C. State – 2C

Michael Deiter, Wisconsin – 3B

Centers

Garrett Bradbury, N.C. State – 1A

Eric McCoy, Texas A&M – 2A

Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State – 2C

Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama – 3C

Michael Jordan, Ohio State – 3C

Edge rushers

Nick Bosa, Ohio State – 1A

Josh Allen, Kentucky, 1A

Clelin Ferrell, Clemson – 1C

Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech – 2A

Montez Sweat, Florida State – 2B

3-technique (defensive tackle in a four man-front)

Quinnen Williams, Alabama – 1A

Ed Oliver, Houston – 1B

Christian Wilkins, Clemson – 1B

Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame – 1C

Trysten Hill, UCF – 2C

5-technique (defensive end in a three man-front)

Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State – 2A

Rashan Gary, Michigan – 2B

Zach Allen, Boston College - 2C

Charles Omenihu, Texas – 2C

Nose guard

Dexter Lawrence, Clemson – 2A

Christian Wilkins, Clemson – 2B

Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame – 2B

Isaiah Buggs, Alabama – 4B

Daylon Mack, Texas A&M – 5B

Outside linebacker

DeAndre Walker, Georgia – 3A

Vosean Joseph, Florida – 3C

Bobby Okereke, Stanford – 4B

Joe Giles-Harris, Duke – 4C

Te’Von Coney, Notre Dame – 5B

Inside linebacker

Devin White, LSU – 1A

Devin Bush, Michigan – 1C

Cameron Smith, USC – 2C

Mack Wilson, Alabama – 3B

Tre Lamar, Clemson – 4B

Safety

Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State – 1B

Darnell Savage, Maryland – 2A

Nasir Adderley, Delaware – 2B

Deionte Thompson, Alabama – 2C

Juan Thornhill, Virginia – 2C

Cornerback

Greedy Williams, LSU – 1C

DeAndre Baker, Georgia – 2A

Julian Love, Notre Dame – 2A

Byron Murphy, Washington – 2B

Rock Ya-Sin, Temple – 2C

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job. I'm skipping your QB rankings, because I'm pretty sure that position has been decided. With the WR group, which I'm guessing will be our second or third selection (and hopefully we'll get at least a high second for Rosen), I was pleasantly surprised that you don't have Metcalf included. Agree that his Ole Miss teammate is the #1 WR, which we won't (probably) have a shot of drafting. But all of the others listed bring something good to the table. Our other top three pick will probably be an Edge or a DT. If so, who do you like for that position and for the WR position? I realize that depends on what we get for Rosen, but it should be a #1 or high 2.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
EVERY QB has a shot to be the best QB taken in this draft.

Minski, I might be disappointed if KM isn't selected by the Cardinals. But I'll soon get over it, as I'm just a fan and will be excited by whomever the team selects. They know a LOT more than I do. All I do know that back in 1947 I was pretty excited when the Cardinals were World Champions, and I'm still waiting for the next one. But every year, come draft time, I'm excited.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job Gandhi.I would like to see the Cards end up with at least 4 guys from your list.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like the list. Lots of thought and hard work - thanks.

I have a few questions about it, just for fun:

Why do you have Bradbury so high? Is he so very impressive at center you'd take him early in the first?
You don't have any OLB's above the third round in value?
Jawaan Taylor and Greg Little equivalent? Most have Taylor about a round better or more, than Little.
No Risner? He may be the best of the bunch.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job. I'm skipping your QB rankings, because I'm pretty sure that position has been decided. With the WR group, which I'm guessing will be our second or third selection (and hopefully we'll get at least a high second for Rosen), I was pleasantly surprised that you don't have Metcalf included. Agree that his Ole Miss teammate is the #1 WR, which we won't (probably) have a shot of drafting. But all of the others listed bring something good to the table. Our other top three pick will probably be an Edge or a DT. If so, who do you like for that position and for the WR position? I realize that depends on what we get for Rosen, but it should be a #1 or high 2.

I am sure about that too, Garth, and even though I don’t want them to take Murray, I can understand the reason behind it, simply because it’s their job to do what they deem best for the Cardinals.

So, let’s say they take Murray, then at #33, wouldn’t it be tempting to pair him up with Marquis “Hollywood” Brown who he flourished with last season at Oklahoma? Brown might be the fastest receiver (player?) in the class, and I think he would fit what Kingsbury wants to do. Personally, I would prefer Deebo Samuel, though I do worry about his injury issues.

If they go edge rusher or interior defensive lineman at #33 I really like Jaylon Ferguson out of Louisiana Tech or Jerry Tillery out of Notre Dame. I think both would be really solid picks.

At #65, don’t sleep on 5-techniques Trysten Hill (who could also play defensive tackle in an even front) and Charles Omenihu (who might be able to play edge rusher as well). Both are extremely explosive and their potential are through the roof. They just don’t show it consistently. I would say almost the exact opposite of the two edge rushers Christian Miller out of Alabama and Chase Winovich out of Michigan as both have been very solid with their teams, but maybe their potential going forward is not that big.

A couple of wide receivers I like at #65: Darius Slayton out of Auburn is a speedster, but not at all limited to be a deep threat, and Hunter Renfrow is my favorite player in the draft, and even though he is not a good prospect from a height-weight-speed-angle, he has just been producing year in and year out for Clemson with all their star wide receivers.

Regarding Metcalf, I see a great athlete, but not yet a great receiver. It is the same with players such as defensive lineman Rashan Gary, edge rushers Montez Sweat and Brian Burns, and a part of me even wants to include cornerback Greedy Williams and offensive guard Cody Ford. All of them has huge potential, but none of them are anywhere close to finished products.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a few questions about it, just for fun:

Great questions, AZ.

Why do you have Bradbury so high? Is he so very impressive at center you'd take him early in the first?

Yes, I would take Bradbury inside the top 10. I think he is as technically sound as any center prospect I have seen the last ten years, and I think he has at least above average strength to go with that – and he should continue to get stronger as he gets in a NFL strength program, and also continues to get older. I should also say that I value the center position pretty high. He is the quarterback of the offensive line, and he is usually a huge help for the quarterback in pointing out blitzes, protection schemes and the like. Also, think about it, the center is the only player who absolutely without a doubt touches the ball on every play.

You don't have any OLB's above the third round in value?

No, I don’t have any outside linebackers ranked higher, but I should note that some of the players I have ranked at inside linebacker can easily move out. Take Devin White for instance. I think he is one of the best prospects in the draft, and I would have absolutely no problem playing him at outside linebacker at some downs, and then moving him inside in nickel defense. By the way, I think DeAndre Walker out of Georgia is a very good player, and I think he compares well to Lorenzo Carter who was the player he replaced at Georgia. Carter was drafted with the second pick in the third round, so I think Walker too will be picked soon after the second round.

Jawaan Taylor and Greg Little equivalent? Most have Taylor about a round better or more, than Little.

To me, Greg Little is the better athlete of the two, where as Taylor is easily the strongest and most technically sound, and having the two ranked similarly is more of a compromise based on pros and cons than anything. They are very, very different players, but both have strengths and weaknesses, and I sort of decided that in the end the workload required in both cases would be of somewhat equal extent, though very different.

No Risner? He may be the best of the bunch.

I think Risner is an interesting case, and I can easily understand why you are surprised that I do not have him ranked in my top five at either offensive tackle, offensive guard or center. That exact thing is one of the reasons why. What is his position? Is he a jack of all trades, master of none? Mason Cole played three seasons at left tackle and one at center for Michigan. Risner is probably a little better prospects, but I am not sure it is by that much. Having said that, I could have easily ranked him higher. I think he is a good prospect.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, just saw on the NFL network that the Mississippi State DT (Simmons) might have to sit out 2019 (injury), but down the road might turn out to be called the best DLman in this draft. I see he's not on your list, is that because of the injury?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, just saw on the NFL network that the Mississippi State DT (Simmons) might have to sit out 2019 (injury), but down the road might turn out to be called the best DLman in this draft. I see he's not on your list, is that because of the injury?

Well, mostly it is. I generally don’t like to select injured players, but with Simmons it’s also because he was arrested in 2016 and shortly after a video surfaced of him punching a woman. Now, at Mississippi State they rave about him as a person, but it’s obviously still a bad thing.

He is a very good prospect, though, and I if not for those issues, I would have him ranked as both my #2 three technique, and #2 five technique, in both cases only behind Quinnen Williams. I actually think Simmons could be an even better pro than college player because I think he has some “hidden” traits that was not fully utilized at Mississippi State, and that should translate very well to the NFL.

He is probably the biggest “boom or bust-prospect” in the entire draft class, and an interesting little detail might be that if he is picked after the first round, then he will get a four year contract, but if he is picked in the first round his contract will contain a team option for a fifth year. Considering his situation, where his rookie year is almost certainly lost, a team might want that extra year on the contract, even though it would be a risky selection in the first round.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Might go mid 2 or 3. He’s an awesome talent but huge baggage.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start be writing a quote I heard the other day: “we are projecting concepts, not absolutes.” Meaning, I have no idea what will happen in the future. I can only guess based on these prospects.

I separate my rankings into sections (2A, 3C and so on). I don’t know how you compare an offensive tackle to a cornerback or the like, so you can make a list in chronological order.

There is verbiage going into my rankings. Players in 1A are supposed to be among the 10-15-20 best players at their position in the NFL. Players in the rest of the first round are supposed to be key players from day one. Players in the second- and third round are supposed to be key players within one or two years. Players in round four through seven are developmental players.

It probably goes without saying, but these are obviously my rankings and not where I project the prospects to be selected.

I want to write some answers to potential questions in advance:

I don’t have Murray ranked in the first round because I can’t get past the thought that he will run away to baseball whenever things go south, and I can’t figure out what the deal is with him and his dad. I just think there is something mysterious about the whole situation. As a pure quarterback, I would rank him in 1A. I think he is a very exiting quarterback prospect.

Yes, my quarterback rankings are inflated by position value. No, I would never draft a runningback in the first round.

The more game clips I watch, the more I am leaning toward Quinnen Williams being the best prospects in the draft. At least I know that him and Bosa are above all others.

Quarterbacks

Kyler Murray, Oklahoma – 2A

Drew Lock, Missouri – 2A

Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State – 2B

Daniel Jones – 2B

Will Grier – 2C

Runningbacks

Josh Jacobs, Alabama – 2A

Elijah Holyfield, Georgia – 3B

David Montgomery, Iowa State – 3C

Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic – 4B

Damien Harris, Alabama – 4B

Wide receivers

A.J. Brown, Ole Miss – 1B

Deebo Samuel, South Carolina – 2A

Marquis Brown, Oklahoma – 2A

N’Keal Harry, Arizona State – 2B

Parris Campbell, Ohio State – 2B

Tight ends

T.J. Hockenson, Iowa – 1B

Noah Fant, Iowa – 1C

Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M – 2B

Irv Smith, Alabama – 2B

Kaden Smith, Stanford – 2C

Offensive tackles

Jonas Williams, Alabama – 1B

Andre Dillard, Washington State – 1C

Jawaan Taylor, Florida – 2A

Greg Little, Ole Miss – 2A

Tytus Howard, Alabama State – 2C

Offensive guards

Cody Ford, Oklahoma – 1C

Chris Lindstrom, Boston College – 1C

Connor McGovern, Penn State – 2B

Terronne Prescod, N.C. State – 2C

Michael Deiter, Wisconsin – 3B

Centers

Garrett Bradbury, N.C. State – 1A

Eric McCoy, Texas A&M – 2A

Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State – 2C

Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama – 3C

Michael Jordan, Ohio State – 3C

Edge rushers

Nick Bosa, Ohio State – 1A

Josh Allen, Kentucky, 1A

Clelin Ferrell, Clemson – 1C

Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech – 2A

Montez Sweat, Florida State – 2B

3-technique (defensive tackle in a four man-front)

Ed Oliver, Houston – 1B

Christian Wilkins, Clemson – 1B

Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame – 1C

Trysten Hill, UCF – 2C

5-technique (defensive end in a three man-front)

Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State – 2A

Rashan Gary, Michigan – 2B

Zach Allen, Boston College - 2C

Charles Omenihu, Texas – 2C

Nose guard

Dexter Lawrence, Clemson – 2A

Christian Wilkins, Clemson – 2B

Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame – 2B

Isaiah Buggs, Alabama – 4B

Daylon Mack, Texas A&M – 5B

Outside linebacker

DeAndre Walker, Georgia – 3A

Vosean Joseph, Florida – 3C

Bobby Okereke, Stanford – 4B

Joe Giles-Harris, Duke – 4C

Te’Von Coney, Notre Dame – 5B

Inside linebacker

Devin White, LSU – 1A

Devin Bush, Michigan – 1C

Cameron Smith, USC – 2C

Mack Wilson, Alabama – 3B

Tre Lamar, Clemson – 4B

Safety

Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State – 1B

Darnell Savage, Maryland – 2A

Nasir Adderley, Delaware – 2B

Deionte Thompson, Alabama – 2C

Juan Thornhill, Virginia – 2C

Cornerback

Greedy Williams, LSU – 1C

DeAndre Baker, Georgia – 2A

Julian Love, Notre Dame – 2A

Byron Murphy, Washington – 2B

Rock Ya-Sin, Temple – 2C
So you think Ed Oliver is a bad fit for our scheme? I havent seen that before so it popped out at me. Big Q will backer for this draft myself.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So you think Ed Oliver is a bad fit for our scheme? I havent seen that before so it popped out at me. Big Q will backer for this draft myself.

No, I don’t think he is a bad fit. Why do you think that?

First off, Vance Joseph is known for adapting his schemes to fit his players, so who knows what the scheme will look like?

Having said that, we can go back and look at what type of players Joseph deployed at Denver. In their base defense, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Zach Kerr, DeMarcus Walker and Shelby Harris has been very good at stopping the run, but have not delivered much in the pass rush-department. Most of them often came off the field in their nickel defense. Anyway, like I said, I don’t think that says much of anything as it relates to the Cardinals.

To me, Oliver might be the most explosive three technique in the class, and I don’t think there is any doubt the Cardinals need that. Right now they have Corey Peters and Darius Philon in there, and maybe a miracle happens and the light goes on for Nkemdiche, but adding Oliver might still be a very good thing. That’s also why I think Quinnen Williams would be a great pick.

Interior pressure is extremely important, and if they can have a rotation of Peters, Philon, Oliver and maybe Nkemdiche, I think they are in good shape at the position.

By the way, I would argue that Oliver is a great chess piece in the sense that I really believe he is athletic and explosive enough to be deployed in different ways. I could see him rush from the outside, and I don’t think it is completely impossible that he could rush from a linebacker-spot on a few downs. He is that athletic.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don’t think he is a bad fit. Why do you think that?

First off, Vance Joseph is known for adapting his schemes to fit his players, so who knows what the scheme will look like?

Having said that, we can go back and look at what type of players Joseph deployed at Denver. In their base defense, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Zach Kerr, DeMarcus Walker and Shelby Harris has been very good at stopping the run, but have not delivered much in the pass rush-department. Most of them often came off the field in their nickel defense. Anyway, like I said, I don’t think that says much of anything as it relates to the Cardinals.

To me, Oliver might be the most explosive three technique in the class, and I don’t think there is any doubt the Cardinals need that. Right now they have Corey Peters and Darius Philon in there, and maybe a miracle happens and the light goes on for Nkemdiche, but adding Oliver might still be a very good thing. That’s also why I think Quinnen Williams would be a great pick.

Interior pressure is extremely important, and if they can have a rotation of Peters, Philon, Oliver and maybe Nkemdiche, I think they are in good shape at the position.

By the way, I would argue that Oliver is a great chess piece in the sense that I really believe he is athletic and explosive enough to be deployed in different ways. I could see him rush from the outside, and I don’t think it is completely impossible that he could rush from a linebacker-spot on a few downs. He is that athletic.
I didn't see him on your 5tech list so thought you were ranking him lower than those others. My bad [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, my hope is that in the next few days you'll do a mock draft, let's say rounds one to four, and post who the team will select and should select. I realize it's almost impossible to do with any accuracy, but it would be fun to read. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't see him on your 5tech list so thought you were ranking him lower than those others. My bad [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

No, you are right, BRR. I don’t think he projects very well to a 5-technique. I think he is a 3-technique only. My point is that they will most likely be in their nickel defense more than 60% of the game, and I think Oliver would be great next to Corey Peters.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, my hope is that in the next few days you'll do a mock draft, let's say rounds one to four, and post who the team will select and should select. I realize it's almost impossible to do with any accuracy, but it would be fun to read. Thanks again.

Well, I haven’t really thought about it, Garth, but I can give you some quick thoughts?

My basic thinking is that I don’t mind reaching a bit. I think the problem occur when you try invent a player – i.e. you need a certain position, so you take your highest rated player at that position a round or more earlier than you have him ranked. This will be a theme in what I write in this post.

Let’s say they stay at #1. I think they select Kyler Murray, and I know you would be happy with that. I would not, but I wouldn’t be too upset either. My reasoning is that I think Murray is a very exciting player, and I think he is a much better quarterback than many gives him credit for. He is not just a Youtube-highlight-player. Sure, he makes a lot of highlight plays, but according to various stat-charts, about 90% of his throws were from the pocket. Now, that should be put into context. Oklahoma has one of the biggest offensive lines in college football, and as anyone who follows college football will tell you, that in itself is most often enough for the unit to be dominant. Because of this, Murray was rarely touched or even hurried, and that will obviously be much different in the NFL – not to think about with the Cardinals and their offensive line. Also, when the offensive line occasionally broke down, Murray was very quick to run to the extent that I am not convinced about his pocket awareness- and presence. So, even though Murray made by far the most of his throws from the pocket, I don’t think the truth necessarily is that he is a great pocket quarterback. Still though, many of the mentioned times where Murray was quick to escape the pocket, he still threw the ball downfield instead of running himself, and his ability to throw accurately on the run is very, very extraordinary. I think Murray is worthy of the #1 overall pick, it’s just that I don’t want the Cardinals to select him. I had Rosen ranked even higher last year, and I think it would be kind of a waste to draft yet another first round quarterback.

My dream scenario is that the Cardinals are able to trade down with the Raiders, and thus have the #4 pick. You know that my personal preference is to keep Rosen, and that would probably signal that they would do just that, but I also think they can get a really good prospect at #4, as well as one or two more in the first round. However, I also think it would be great if they traded with the Giants, which would give them the #6 pick. I would be interested in trading down with every other team as well, but those two are probably my favorites because they have the most ammunition to pull it off. If they do trade down, you would think someone wants to grab Murray, which would make sure other great prospects slide a bit. Let’s say Murray gets selected, that would ensure that either Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen is there at #4, and at #6 you can maybe add linebacker Devin White to the mix. I think those four players are the best prospects in the class, and I don’t think you can go wrong with either. If the Cardinals ends up picking at #6, only one other than Murray needs to be selected somewhere in the top five for the Cardinals to get a shot at one of those four prospects.

In the second round, I would go wide receiver or defensive line (if they haven’t addressed it already). Now, I think there will be a lot of very good defensive backs on the board, but I wouldn’t address that this early. My highest ranked defensive linemen would probably be Jaylon Ferguson (Louisiana Tech) and Dre’Mont Jones (Ohio State). Some say that production usually translate from college to pro, and Ferguson is the all time sack leader in the entire NCAA on top of being a great prospect in terms of especially motor and arm-technique. Jones would be a natural interior pass rusher from the defensive end-spot in a three man-front and the defensive tackle-position in a four man-front.

If they go wide receiver at the top of the second round, I would think Marquis Hollywood Brown (Oklahoma) and Parris Campbell (Ohio State) would be the most obvious fits for Kingsbury’s offense – if he plans to do what he did at Texas Tech. Both are insanely fast and agile, and both can be deep threats as well as runners after the catch. Like I said in an earlier post, I would personally prefer Deebo Samuel, and he might also be a fit, but I doubt he will be on the board. I have several wide receivers bunched together in the second round, because they are very similar. N’Keal Harry (Arizona State), D.K. Metcalf (Ole Miss) and Kelvin Harmon (N.C. State) are great weapons and prospects, but I doubt they are the types that they look for.

If they do pick Murray, then at #65 in the third round I would look at the position I did not select in the second round (defensive line or wide receiver), but of the players I have ranked in 3A on those positions, I don’t know that any of them would fit. Hakeem Butler (Iowa State) and Ryan Ridley (Georgia) are intriguing wide receiver prospects, but Butler is a huge “jump-ball” guy, while Ridley is more of a possession receiver. Defensive tackle Gerald Willis (Miami) and edge rusher Christian Miller (Alabama) is the only defensive lineman I have ranked in 3A, and though both would probably fit, I don’t know if I would take either. I highly question Willis’ motor and “floor level”, while Miller is not a great edge rusher, but more of a chess piece, and I doubt his production would match his play – but I really like him. The Cardinals are a bad team, so I don’t know if they can allow themselves to take players like them?

If I were to reach a bit to find presumed fits at those positions, I would look at wide receiver Darius Slayton out of Auburn and Isaiah Buggs out of Alabama, but I would also be inclined to look at some very intriguing small school guys like defensive tackle Khalen Saunders (Western Illinois), tight end Kahale Warring (San Diego State), offensive lineman Nate Davis (Charlotte), edge rusher Oshane Ximines (Old Dominion) and cornerback Jordan Brown (South Dakota State). I would not draft any of them before this spot, but all of them are great prospects, and I would not be shocked if all of them were off the board at this point.

In the fourth round I would look at value first – with a little peek at positions, but still I would only take presumed good fits and not simply draft good players without thinking about specific roles. Rookies are extremely important to success nowadays, and college football has become so good that each of these draft prospects are well-schooled, both in terms of academics and athletics. I expect every player to contribute, no matter if they are selected in the first or the seventh round.

To me, possible targets includes:

Wide receiver Greg Jennings from West Virginia (a slightly worse edition of the aforementioned Darius Slayton),

Wide receiver Emanuel Hall from Missouri (unpolished athletic freak),

Offensive lineman Max Scharping from Northern Illinois (53 consecutive starts at left tackle, right tackle and right guard – gave up only one sack and less than 20 hurries in those games),

Offensive lineman Wes Martin from Indiana (51 starts – tough, hard-nosed guard),

Inside linebacker Bobby Okereke out of Stanford (undersized, fast and very smart),

Cornerback Saivion Smith from Alabama (better tape than some who will get drafted higher, but question about his dedication).

---------------------

Let’s set up two hypothetical scenarios where the Cardinals stay with all there picks. The first one is my preference, while the second one is what I think it more realistic that they will do:

1 – Quinnen Williams, defensive lineman, Alabama

2 – Deebo Samuel, wide receiver, South Carolina

3 – Nate Davis, offensive lineman, Charlotte

4 – Bobby Okereke, inside linebacker, Stanford

1 – Kyler Murray, quarterback, Oklahoma

2 – Jaylon Ferguson, edge rusher, Louisiana Tech (might remind Keim of Markus Golden)

3 – Nate Davis, offensive lineman, Charlotte (there WILL be a small school selection)

4 – Greg Jennings, wide receiver, West Virginia (potentially a great fit, and the Kingsbury-Dana Holgersen-connection once again)

I would prefer the first option, but I also think that is the most questionable in terms of the players being available. I have Samuel ranked in 1C, and I think Okereke will get drafted before the fourth round.

----------------------

I hope this post was sort of acceptable, but don’t hesitate to ask about anything if I can help.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, more than acceptable. Thanks, again. Three things:
1. In option two, we'd have (probably) addl picks as a result of a Rosen trade.
2. And every year guys fall through the cracks (Round one to round two, for instance) so someone you might think will go mid to late first, falls to round two.
3. Always possible that we trade back in the second or third round.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good job Gandhi.

Head scratcher on Mack Wilson and no DK Metcalf rated in top 5.

Savage is someone I'd love to see us get, but with the other needs won't happen.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good job Gandhi.

Head scratcher on Mack Wilson and no DK Metcalf rated in top 5.

Savage is someone I'd love to see us get, but with the other needs won't happen.

I understand your confusion, Wild.

I don’t think Mack Wilson offers much pass rush, and to me, that makes him significantly less worth.

I see a very, very good athlete in Metcalf, but I don’t see a great receiver.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, more than acceptable. Thanks, again. Three things:
1. In option two, we'd have (probably) addl picks as a result of a Rosen trade.
2. And every year guys fall through the cracks (Round one to round two, for instance) so someone you might think will go mid to late first, falls to round two.
3. Always possible that we trade back in the second or third round.

That’s true, Garth. Some of the guys I like for the Cards at end of each round:

Tight end Kaden Smith, Stanford, might be available in round three. He has exceptional body control and can catch the ball at it’s highest point. He is too much for linebackers, and he outmuscles defensive backs. I really like him.

Offensive lineman David Edwards (Wisconsin) could be available in the fourth round. He is an all-round good tackle, but I also think he is a tackle only.

Offensive guard Terronne Prescod (N.C. State) might slide to the third round. He is as solid a guard as they come, but won’t be able to play tackle or center.

Center Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi State) could slide to the third round. He is a technician, but he also has strength. Word is team like him more than anticipated, but I still don’t think he will be selected before, at best, the middle of the second round. He can move to guard if needed.

I’m not sure edge rusher Chase Winovich (Michigan), but I just like him. He is relentless, and probably worth consideration if he falls to the fourth round.

Jerry Tillery out of Penn State could be available in the second round. He is a great defensive tackle in a four man-front, but probably won’t be able to play end in a three man-front.

Defensive tackle Trysten Hill (UCF) probably flies a bit under the radar in the media, but I doubt he will last until the third round. If he does, he has to be in the consideration. Very good defensive tackle in a four man-front, but can probably play defensive end in a three man-front as well.

I would be shocked if 5-Technique Zach Allen (Boston College) is available in the third round as he could be a great player at the position.

Inside linebacker Cameron Smith (USC) is not fast, but he is smart and relentless. In the third round he would be a good value pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard