My mock draft (with trade)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First round shapes up like this:

Cincinatti: Carson Palmer. They simply can't pass up on the guy.

Detroit: Charles Rogers Wish he was playing for us.

Houston: Andre Johnson Suggs no longer their man.

Chicago: Terrell Suggs Breaks Arizona's heart.

Dallas: Terrence Newman The Tuna is ecstatic that Newman falls to him

Cardinals: Trade with the New York Jets. Acquire the 13th pick and the 22nd pick in the draft. I favor this if the Cardinals aren't going to take Leftwich.

Jets: Andre Johnson

Skip to Cards (using the Sporting News Draft Board) :

At the 13th pick the Cardinals select Andre Woolfork-CB. Tall, rangy corner that is the perfect compliment to Duane Starks.

At the 22nd pick I would love to use the Sporting News board and say Jerome McDougal, but that isn't going to happen. He won't last this long. More likely we will take Johnathan Sullivan-DT Can play two gap well enough to fit into Cardinals scheme.

37th pick. Dewayne White. A very good pass rusher that completes the D-line.

70th pick. Tyrone Calico-WR Is moving up the draft charts rapidly. Probably won't be here. If he moves up though (as in recent mocks) then a guy like Teyo Johnson may move down. I would be happy with either of these receivers.

102nd pick Clifton Smith-ILB Cards snatch up this big strong run stuffer.

141st pick Brett Romberg C. Smart and versitile center. Can play anywhere on the line and will be valued as a backup and special teamer.

177th pick Ivan Taylor CB Big and fast CB. Very raw but would probably also really help out as a bullett guy on special teams.

210th pick Jason Gesser QB Someone to compete for the third spot with Parsons.

220 pick Shurron Pierson DE Another small school guy who can make an impact as a situational rusher.

What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 of 9 picks on defense. Seems that is where our needs are mostly. Maybe too much?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I read it wrong or do you have the Texans drafting Andre Johnson and us trading with the Jets who then take... Andre Johnson?

I like most of your Card picks although I think Gesser is way too weak armed for the NFL. I like Pierson though very fast kid if he can put on some weight he can be a steal.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if we go 6 of 9 on def. We lack depth at Cb, LB and could use a starter on the DL (I am leaning towards Trufant or Robertson as my personal favorites). I am against drfating a center unless Faine slides to us at #2. Improve the team speed and hustle on defense. Drfat a wr in the 3-5 round range and add some depth, guys who can play special teams.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I see Andre Johnson twice on the list. Other than that I'm more impressed you have information on 220 college players. I think I can name ten. If I try real hard. I'll leave the critique to the other draft gurues.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

I was thinking so hard about what the Cards would do lower in the round I missed that.

I may have to redo the Cards picks with the New Orleans picks than...17 and 18. Are those worth the number 6 though? I think Woolfork is a guy that would look very good in Cardinal Red.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

So the only way this draft could go down correctly was if the Texans decide they still want Suggs (not likely)

Cinc-Palmer
Detroit-Rogers
Houston-Suggs
Chicago-Newman
Dallas-Leftwich (exactly the kind of QB that Parcells likes)

Cardinals pick: trade.

I would say this scenario is unlikely.

It also means that if the Cardinals want to move down, they will have to take a long look at the two picks being offered by New Orleans.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
redone first 3 with trade to Saints

17 and 18 are intriguing. Woolfolk is probably gone by now.

So Cards could take:

17 Jerome McDougal. Undersized but a ferocious pass rusher. A guy I like a lot. He's a reach at 6. Here is a solid pick.

18 Johnathan Sullivan. Still like this guy, if only because the Cardinals are obsessed with their two gap system.

37 Dennis Weathersby. Pac 10 fans know all about this guy. Again another over 6 foot corner, which I believe is a MUST have with Starks on our team. Starks just doesn't match up with guys like Owens.

Doing this has only convinced me that the Cardinals should be thinking:

Suggs
Newman
Leftwich

Trade. If it isn't one of these guys, you can still get some great quality 10-15 picks later. This team needs so much on defense, that I can see why the Cards are trying to get Holliday.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Skorp you should have at least let Chris read my response in the "***** this" thread prior to deleting it????