Moving on from Kyler.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike should fire Keim now and get a head start.
Yes. Adrian Wilson can be a temp and do the minor roster juggling that is left. My main fear in that case is AW would get the job.

The type of GM we need would have a coach lined up already.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mike should fire Keim now and get a head start.
Probably. The time is either now or right after the draft. The sticking point is that a bunch of scouts are out in the field watching prospects, interviewing college coaches, and attending bowl games. A new guy I guess gets the chance to evaluate these dudes, but he can't really poach scouts under contract until May.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. Adrian Wilson can be a temp and do the minor roster juggling that is left. My main fear in that case is AW would get the job.

The type of GM we need would have a coach lined up already.

What if AW is actually good?

We all tar him with the Keim brush because he worked for him. But I've worked for loads of bosses I highly disagreed with and thought was crap.

I've always prefered a fresh culture and outside hire but maybe AW can be the guy? If he brings the culture he had as a player to running the O that would be everything we want right? And there's no reason he shouldn't.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably. The time is either now or right after the draft. The sticking point is that a bunch of scouts are out in the field watching prospects, interviewing college coaches, and attending bowl games. A new guy I guess gets the chance to evaluate these dudes, but he can't really poach scouts under contract until May.

I'd fire him now anyway and let AW run things. Call it a mini try out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if AW is actually good?

We all tar him with the Keim brush because he worked for him. But I've worked for loads of bosses I highly disagreed with and thought was crap.

I've always prefered a fresh culture and outside hire but maybe AW can be the guy? If he brings the culture he had as a player to running the O that would be everything we want right? And there's no reason he shouldn't.
It is possible I guess. It just seems so Bidwillian that he would be the new GM. The Bidwillian way has a poor track record.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is possible I guess. It just seems so Bidwillian that he would be the new GM. The Bidwillian way has a poor track record.
lol, true.

But everyone likes AW right? As a player, as a person. No reason to think he couldn't bring those qualities to GM.

The corncern has always been Mike meddling but he's likely to hire someone who will put up with that either way.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
K9, since you brought up scouts, can someone on here expound on here about the Cards scouting department? For instance how many scouts we have? How much do SK and Kliff follow their suggestions. How do they compare to other teams scouting number, etc.?

Just curious about how we draft the players and the process behind it. Thx.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly Kyler has now entered into RG3/Wentz level of had a great start and now had a serious knee injury territory.

Obviously not an exact timeline. RG3's flash was in his rookie year. Wentz had a solid season or two after his injury. Neither was quite the same since the injury.

I posted this earlier.

I mean Kyler is all about stride frequency because he doesnt have much stride length. Its why he can seemingly escape any play and yet slower QBs can avoid certain plays that Kyler cant.

I thought I'd feel better that we werent that good this year and Kyler got hurt. Instead I sorta feel worse. Because I have no faith in us building an Oline and a solid running game to make life easier for a limited QB.

The only glass half full take on this Kyler scenario is if the injury forces him to add to his game ala Amare Stoudemire. Otherwise its all downhill.
Just one guy’s perception, but I think the NFL is loaded with solid QB’s teams can win with. We should be able to acquire one (make that 2) of them.

Of course that assumes our FO is good at evaluating talent.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talk about it “inside straights”

We have to pray that Kyler fully recovers…And if he does recover, we have to pray that he can be coached-up to reach his lofty potential…Which in turn, assumes Kyle's willing to be coached up and that our coaches. are good enough to coach him up.

Taking our lumps and folding now is a more responsible roll of the dice.

Til now, I took a wait and see attitude toward our coaches and our wunderkind QB. l’ve seen enough.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sadly Kyler has now entered into RG3/Wentz level of had a great start and now had a serious knee injury territory.

Obviously not an exact timeline. RG3's flash was in his rookie year. Wentz had a solid season or two after his injury. Neither was quite the same since the injury.

I posted this earlier.

I mean Kyler is all about stride frequency because he doesnt have much stride length. Its why he can seemingly escape any play and yet slower QBs can avoid certain plays that Kyler cant.

I thought I'd feel better that we werent that good this year and Kyler got hurt. Instead I sorta feel worse. Because I have no faith in us building an Oline and a solid running game to make life easier for a limited QB.

The only glass half full take on this Kyler scenario is if the injury forces him to add to his game ala Amare Stoudemire. Otherwise its all downhill.

All your takes are solid, but here I think you're overreacting a little.

I think you and I agree that, while possibly(!) muted a bit this year by getting the bag, the kid is a fierce competitor. A burning desire to win.

Something went wrong this year. We'll probably never know what it was. But my money is on the kid's desire to win very soon trumping all else going on around him, and him figuring it out and adjusting. I think it will be a Cardinal uniform too. I think there's a 75% chance of this happening.

Getting the F away from Kliff and Keim needs to be part of the equation though. He needs a coach that won't be his buddy, that he respects, and who will push him to be the best he can be. He needs a GM to build a competent roster around him. It will need another star or two like DHop if the intention is to get a ring.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All your takes are solid, but here I think you're overreacting a little.

I think you and I agree that, while possibly(!) muted a bit this year by getting the bag, the kid is a fierce competitor. A burning desire to win.

Something went wrong this year. We'll probably never know what it was. But my money is on the kid's desire to win very soon trumping all else going on around him, and him figuring it out and adjusting. I think it will be a Cardinal uniform too. I think there's a 75% chance of this happening.

Getting the F away from Kliff and Keim needs to be part of the equation though. He needs a coach that won't be his buddy, that he respects, and who will push him to be the best he can be. He needs a GM to build a competent roster around him. It will need another star or two like DHop if the intention is to get a ring.
I cannot disagree more. If this were true, he'd be doing all the things he needs to do and not giving into the cognitive dissonance that he has some kind of special understanding of the game. At best, you can argue he's just stupid and stubborn and unwilling to change his ways--so why would he change them now if he's that stupid and stubborn? At worst, you can argue he only loves the physical aspect of the game and is unwilling to put in the real prep necessary to become a great QB. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. IMO, he totally wants to win...only on his own terms. And that is nowhere near good enough.

Will this injury lead to some kind of epiphany and major change? I hope so. I think that's the only way he gets to where we need him to be, because his current approach isn't cutting it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree... KM will make a good leadoff batter,,,, draw some 'walks' and steal bases. We know he can SLIDE...
With this much time out of baseball there is no way the can handle major league pitching. He is not going to schlepp around in the minors riding busses. eSports would be much more likely.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Back when I was a young dad trying to build up the account and stay in the black, I was painting on my off days from the fire dept. I got a call for one job in particular that still gets me upset. The lady having the house built (in the biltmore, lots of money) recently fired her GC and was “just wanting to get this house done.” She had it her mind she could do what her GC was doing, save some money, streamline the process. I shot 90% of the interior in 16 hours, and called it a day. Returned 2 days later to find the lower 2’ of the drywall had been busted out and re-textured (throughout half the house). I was livid. I called her and she said “ok sorry- just buy what you need, charge me the extra time, and invoice it all.”

She insisted I use her product to shoot the exterior (I let my contention be known). I specifically asked how long the stucco had been allowed to cure, and was told “it’s cured.” A few days after shooting it, she called screaming about how the was “lines running through the paint.” I showed up and recognized the “lines” were due to the stucco not being properly cured.

I ended up buying additional paint and repainting the exterior about 2 weeks later. Shot it with the good product and it came out great. As I was pulling masking and loading my equipment in the trailer, I had 4 beers out of a 6 pack. I trashed the empty bottles and the spent masking in the dumpster on the job site.

I had an invoice I submitted for over $7k (nearly $2500 of that was $$ out of my pocket). I attempted to call her to no avail; I came to the job site one day in hopes of intercepting her, and the security guy at the gate told me I had been prohibited from entering the community. He told me “brother, I have your name and over a half dozen other contractors on this list.”

Long story short, I got screwed. She said the beer bottles discovered in the dumpster explained why the entire job was so messed up, and she wasn’t paying me anything. I and the other contractors began identifying each other and figured out she was doing similar things to everyone.

Absent her crooked ways of stiffing hard working people, her decision to play GC (when she didn’t know ish, didn’t have a clue how to coordinate the work, and disseminated information in compartmentalized ways) is ultimately what caused all the problems experienced during that project.

This is how I view MB and how he chooses to “run” this franchise. It really doesn’t matter what we do on black Monday or who we hire (Sean Payton is ain’t coming here fellas), until the owner checks their self and exercises a little introspection, nothing will change with this dumpster fire of an organization.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
If Kyler won't be ready for the start of the season, I would love to see us sign Minshew. Granted, I am no expert at all but I have always liked the guy, seems to have great leadership and a career QBR of 93,9 isn't so bad either. And the outlook of having the chance to be a starter here could IMO convince him to come here instead of being a backup in Philadelphia.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I cannot disagree more. If this were true, he'd be doing all the things he needs to do and not giving into the cognitive dissonance that he has some kind of special understanding of the game. At best, you can argue he's just stupid and stubborn and unwilling to change his ways--so why would he change them now if he's that stupid and stubborn? At worst, you can argue he only loves the physical aspect of the game and is unwilling to put in the real prep necessary to become a great QB. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. IMO, he totally wants to win...only on his own terms. And that is nowhere near good enough.

Will this injury lead to some kind of epiphany and major change? I hope so. I think that's the only way he gets to where we need him to be, because his current approach isn't cutting it.
I think your read on this is only half true.

It's easy for us, grown ass men, to talk about things that most of us were forced to learn over the years as things we knew when we were young.

Effort is greater than talent. Many people who are wildly successful in life struggle to learn this lesson. Murray probably thinks he works hard enough because he is working harder than he did in the past. But he is so talented, he doesn't really know that less talented people are working way harder than he is.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think your read on this is only half true.

It's easy for us, grown ass men, to talk about things that most of us were forced to learn over the years as things we knew when we were young.

Effort is greater than talent. Many people who are wildly successful in life struggle to learn this lesson. Murray probably thinks he works hard enough because he is working harder than he did in the past. But he is so talented, he doesn't really know that less talented people are working way harder than he is.
Good take. He needs to be at least smart enough to get some outside voices. Get some people around him that maybe aren't the same old "yes men" that tell him he's doing it right. And, by God, get someone other than his freaking father to work with in the offseason!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep trying to convince yourself that we're anywhere close to that team this year, let alone next season.

I mean, minus Chandler Jones (who did nothing outside 1 game last year), Hicks and Edmonds it's basically the same team with upgrades at WR and G.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose