Movie-A-Day #81: Stand By Me

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Since a typical Saturday could be deemed as "family time", I decided to select this as today's movie.....

Thanks again to Amazon.com for the following:

A sleeper hit when released in 1986, Stand by Me is based on Stephen King's novella "The Body" (from the book Different Seasons); but it's more about the joys and pains of boyhood friendship than a morbid fascination with corpses. It's about four boys ages 12 and 13 (Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell) who take an overnight hike through the woods near their Oregon town to find the body of a boy who's been missing for days. Their journey includes a variety of scary adventures (including a ferocious junkyard dog, a swamp full of leeches, and a treacherous leap from a train trestle), but it's also a time for personal revelations, quiet interludes, and the raucous comradeship of best friends. Set in the 1950s, the movie indulges an overabundance of anachronistic profanity and a kind of idealistic, golden-toned nostalgia (it's told in flashback as a story written by Wheaton's character as an adult, played by Richard Dreyfuss). But it's delightfully entertaining from start to finish, thanks to the rapport among its young cast members and the timeless, universal themes of friendship, family, and the building of character and self-esteem. Kiefer Sutherland makes a memorable teenage villain, and look closely for John Cusack in a flashback scene as Wheaton's now-deceased and dearly missed brother. A genuine crowd-pleaser, this heartfelt movie led director Rob Reiner to even greater success with his next film, The Princess Bride. --Jeff Shannon --This text refers to the VHS Tape edition.

Personal Note: It seems like yesterday that I saw "Stand By Me" in the theatre. I was 9 years-old and it always since has had a profound impact on me. I reflect back to my thoughts then on if I would be able to maintain the close group of friends I had back then and thinking of what our future may hold. Anyone can watch this movie, because it wasnt necessarily geared toward any specific age. Someone in their early teens can thoroughly enjoy this movie, or anyone who is sentimental like myself can really appreciate what this film has to offer. It's hilarious watching these relatively unknown younger actors back then and realize (well some is obviously quite agonizing) what become of them. "Stand By Me" is "a must see" for anyone!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my all-time favorite flicks (except for the pie-eating contest). Great, great story - one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King writing.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
One of my all-time favorite flicks (except for the pie-eating contest). Great, great story - one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King writing.

Ditto - awesome pick and movie. Great story and adaptation. I loved the casting for this as well. Such a fun movie to watch.

"Sick balls"

Shawn

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This turned 30 yesterday...

Surprised more people didn't comment on this. One of my all-time favs, still

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
finally saw this film. Now live about 20 mins from where it was filmed.

Yeah, I think everything except for the bridge jumping scene was filmed in Oregon. I've never seen a bridge like that in Oregon.

Rewatched this for the first time since 2004. What a classic. One of the few films that my kids loved just as much as I did when I was a kid.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great film and it always makes me a bit nostalgic when I see it.

I grew up in a small town where my friends and I rode our bicycles everywhere.

Also a huge fan of the song "Stand By Me" by Ben E King.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck we did that growing up in mesa lol

Yeah, times have changed. I don't think the little town I grew up in had more than 2,000 people.

It was an active little town ripe for adventure. Everyone knew everybody.

It even had a railroad track I would often cross looking to pick wild berries.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson