Movie-a-day #248 Monsters Inc

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is the last movie from me that you guys have to put up with this week! I know, I chose some different movies. But life gets boring if you always do the same things and watch the same movies. Branch out! Try something new (or old). Even if you didn't like it the first time around, you may feel differently the second time. You may not, but you just never know! Have fun with life, be adventurous, watch a movie you wouldn't normally watch!!!

For tomorrow's movie, we have an AWESOME kids' movie! If you haven't seen this, it is a MUST SEE!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JKDR/qid=1125963803/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3828371-1673657?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

You must be registered for see images attach

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
The folks at Pixar can do no wrong with Monsters, Inc., the studio's fourth feature film, which stretches the computer animation format in terms of both technical complexity and emotional impact. The giant, blue-furred James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (wonderfully voiced by John Goodman) is a scare-monster extraordinaire in the hidden world of Monstropolis, where the scaring of kids is an imperative in order to keep the entire city running. Beyond the competition to be the best at the business, Sullivan and his assistant, the one-eyed Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal), discover what happens when the real world interacts with theirs in the form of a 2-year-old baby girl dubbed "Boo," who accidentally sneaks into the monster world with Sulley one night. Director Pete Doctor and codirectors David Silverman and Lee Unkrich follow the Pixar (Toy Story) blueprint with an imaginative scenario, fun characters, and ace comic timing. By the last heart-tugging shot, kids may never look at monsters the same, nor artists at what computer animation can do in the hands of magicians. --Doug Thomas --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Cast List

For the Birds:
Ralph Eggleston
... Bird

Mike's New Car:
Billy Crystal
... Mike Wazowski
John Goodman ... Sulley

Monsters, Inc.:
John Goodman ... James P. "Sulley" Sullivan
Billy Crystal ... Mike Wazowski
Mary Gibbs ... Boo/Mary
Steve Buscemi ... Randall Boggs
James Coburn ... Henry J. Waternoose III
Jennifer Tilly ... Celia
Bob Peterson ... Roz

My thoughts:

Well, I’m ending out my week with one of my absolute favorite kids movies!!!!! Disney/Pixar did GREAT with this one! We have seen this in the theater 3 or 4 times (once or twice when it first came out, then a couple times over the years at the Harkins summer kids movie program), plus we own it on dvd and have watched it MANY, MANY TIMES!!! I think one of the things I like the most about this movie is its originality. So many movies, kids movies especially, have plots that are pretty much the same, one to the next. Don’t get me wrong, I love kids movies! BUT, so many of them are about super heroes, royal families, bratty kids, etc, etc, etc. Monsters Inc was so unique (so was Nemo, but I only have one week)! I can’t think of a single other movie that had the concepts of closet doors that lead to a whole Monster world, that is powered by kids’ screams! And of course, Billy Crystal was a RIOT in this one!!!!!!!!! So many scenes I see his character, Mike, and I have to look twice to realize that that really isn’t Billy Crystal! Mike’s facial expressions so closely resemble Billy Crystal’s! Such a great family movie!!!!!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol i LOVE this movie!

sooo funny!

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Come on CQ!! You fault the Incredibles because it's about superheroes? :D ;)

I adore Incredibles, no doubt about that! But the story in Monsters is one of the most unique I can think of!!! Superheroes are cool, that is something that will always be true! :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
CQ said:
I adore Incredibles, no doubt about that! But the story in Monsters is one of the most unique I can think of!!! Superheroes are cool, that is something that will always be true! :thumbup:

I'm biased, though, I think the Incredibles is the best computer-animated film and 2nd best animated film ever (after Pinocchio)! ;)

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm biased, though, I think the Incredibles is the best computer-animated film and 2nd best animated film ever (after Pinocchio)! ;)

I LOVE Jack Jack Attack on the Incredibles dvd! I wish I could find a sitter like Kari! That girl was calm no matter what Jack Jack did! LMAO! We watch a lot of Disney/Pixar around my house, and Incredibles is definitely tied for the most watched Disney/Pixar dvd, along with Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo. (Ok, did I just assist in hijacking my own thread? :p)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greaat movie CQ! :thumbup:

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Fantastic pick, CQ. IMO, this movie was better than Nemo or The Incredibles (though not by much). You are right, it was one of the most clever movies I have ever seen.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched this movie twice over spring break.

It is still freaking hilarious!

And I just now realized it was Steve Buscemi as the voice of Randall! Gosh I am a dope!