Movie-A-Day #1: The Shawshank Redemption

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Figured I'd start with a movie everybody loves. I'll be flabbergasted if anyone posts saying they didn't like the movie--this one seems to be one of the most loved movies of all time.

As far as I can tell, this is close to a perfect movie. With the exception of an overly long running time and some inconsistent camera work, this movie is a work of art.

Unfortunately, the Academy liked the feel-good aspect of Forrest Gump that year, and gems like this movie and Quiz Show were woefully overlooked.

Synopsis (SPOILER possible):
In the first half of the 20th century, tax accountant Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to 2 consecutive life sentences, while maintaining his innocence throughout. While in Shawshank prison in rural Maine, he befriends Red (Morgan Freeman), an "institutional" convicted murderer, and his small group of friends. The film proceeds to chronicle the next 20 years of prison life, which is neither pretty nor joyful, although Dufresne does some great things to keep his sanity.

There are several standouts which make this film so good:

1) The acting. Robbins and Freeman are at the top of their game. But a lot of the supporting performances are terrific as well, including Clancy Brown as the foul-mouthed, brutal head prison guard, and Bob Gunton as the warden. Gunton, especially, does some good work, skirting the line between housing criminals and being a criminal himself. Veteran actor James Whitmore provides a gut-wrenching performance as an 80-something-year-old man who suddenly finds himself out in the world after 50 years. Taken as a whole, this is an acting troop rivaling any in Hollywood.

2) The music. Thomas Newman does a superb job of conveying the oppressive atmosphere of the prison and uses strings and bass to convey the different moods--mostly somber, but occasionally uplifting, like when the group of inmates tar the roof of the plate shop, and are given some beer to enjoy after Dufresne bribes Clancy Brown's Officer Hadley.

3) The direction. Frank Darabont directed this film, his first in the chair. And he does a masterful job. He understands the material, since he is also the writer, but he has a certain repoir with the actors, that is noticeable throughout.

4) The source. The story actually came from a short novella by Stephen King, and in it, Red was actually an Irish white man--which makes Freeman's introduction to Robbins all that much more funny.

Of course, there is a lot more I could go into, but I'll let the rest of you go on about it! :thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this film, own it on DVD and is in my top-10 of all time I believe.

A great movie, one that for some reason choked me up at the end. Such a great ending.

(SPOILERS FOR SURE)

And the scene when the Warden throws the rock through the poster, and realizes it's a hole...I mean, I honestly had no clue at that point in the movie, and was floored...I LOVED it!

It had a great message, great acting, and just everything about it ruled.

Mike

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, I think the movie could have (and in some ways, SHOULD have) ended after the above scene you mentioned, Mike.

I love the movie as it is, and the ending is still great, but the movie would have been just as poignant if it ended with that great climax. Instead, it continued to go on--it ceased to be a story about Andy Dufresne, and instead became a story about Red.

Luckily, we were so attached to him, it was ok. In fact, that is probably exactly what Darabont thought when writing the script.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Whitmore was stellar in this role - I still get choked up whenever I watch it - particularly his performance. You really cared for his character and it was played rather well.

*********** SPOILER ****************
Tim Robbins was masterful - he was so brilliant. One of my favorite scenes with him is when he locks himself in the office and starts blasting that classical music - just genius.
*********** EOS ********************

I'm pretty sure that there isn't one thing I didn't like about this movie. Once again it just goes to prove that someone can take a Stephen King story and make an excellent movie out of it - sort of like Stand By Me or The Greenmile.

Anyway - I'm with Mike, this movie is high, high, high on my list of favorites.

The camera work - I thought - was just beautiful, especially that entire opening sequence with the long, single shot of the prison, the prison yard and the bus pulling up - it was great. I like how they used the colors in this movie too - very smart choices and really made you feel like you were experiencing what it was like to be locked up there.

Shawn

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Well, I think the movie could have (and in some ways, SHOULD have) ended after the above scene you mentioned, Mike.

I love the movie as it is, and the ending is still great, but the movie would have been just as poignant if it ended with that great climax. Instead, it continued to go on--it ceased to be a story about Andy Dufresne, and instead became a story about Red.

Luckily, we were so attached to him, it was ok. In fact, that is probably exactly what Darabont thought when writing the script.

But after Andy befriended Red - didn't this movie become as much about Red as it did Andy? Probably even before that - Red is really the only other character that gets major screen time beyond Andy. We see him very early on at his parole rejection (I loved that), etc.

I thought it was fitting the way it ended - I just always viewed it as a movie about Andy and Red and not just Andy.

Shawn

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing

The camera work - I thought - was just beautiful, especially that entire opening sequence with the long, single shot of the prison, the prison yard and the bus pulling up - it was great. I like how they used the colors in this movie too - very smart choices and really made you feel like you were experiencing what it was like to be locked up there.

Shawn

Interesting that you mention that--I thought the camera work was brilliant in the beginning of the movie, but there was only one or two shots near the end that to me, were memorable (the best of which was when he is standing in the rain with his arms up in the air).

That first shot was absolutely brilliant--a steadycam shot in a helicopter. You start behind the bus as it goes toward the prison, and end up on the side of the prison facing the opposite direction, and see the bus pulling up. Just brilliant coordination--that's good direction.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But after Andy befriended Red - didn't this movie become as much about Red as it did Andy? Probably even before that - Red is really the only other character that gets major screen time beyond Andy. We see him very early on at his parole rejection (I loved that), etc.

I thought it was fitting the way it ended - I just always viewed it as a movie about Andy and Red and not just Andy.

Shawn

But look, then, at the two climaxes, and tell me which is more effective. The one that is in the film is more final--a definite end to the story, even though they are starting their life over.

But if it would have ended earlier, it would have had some mystery to it. Maybe end it as Red's parole is granted, and leave it up to the audience to decide what he's going to do.

Of course, the end as it is gave us some memorable lines. "Get busy living, or get busy dying--that's ********* right."

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll flabbergast you.

I hate this movie. Huge waste of a LOT of time.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WaywardFan
I'll flabbergast you.

I know that it's early in the day - but this is by far my favorite line! That's hilarious, but is it legal?

Shawn

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll flabbergast you.

I hate this movie. Huge waste of a LOT of time.

Well, at least you've succinctly expressed your reasons.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that it's early in the day - but this is by far my favorite line! That's hilarious, but is it legal?

Shawn

LOL!

Well it is NOW, thanks to the Supreme Court.

No, actually I was just referring to Chap's initial paragraph:

Figured I'd start with a movie everybody loves. I'll be flabbergasted if anyone posts saying they didn't like the movie--this one seems to be one of the most loved movies of all time.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But look, then, at the two climaxes, and tell me which is more effective. The one that is in the film is more final--a definite end to the story, even though they are starting their life over.

But if it would have ended earlier, it would have had some mystery to it. Maybe end it as Red's parole is granted, and leave it up to the audience to decide what he's going to do.

Of course, the end as it is gave us some memorable lines. "Get busy living, or get busy dying--that's ********* right."

I honestly think if it ended there, everyone would be wondering what happened to Red...I mean, 2 times in the movie there were major scenes with him up for parole...they HAD to finish that off, they couldn't leave us hanging.

Mike

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin - not to totally redirect this thread - but in your opinion, how does this movie stand up to Stephen King's other movies and which movie of his would you rank next in line behind Shawshank - this is assuming that this is your favorite Stephen King movie of course.

Shawn

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Everything's been posted about it already....incredibly good. I actually saw this as I was in reception for basic training in the army, and it made me a little depressed. You know, prison for 20+ years...stuck in hellish training for 13+ weeks...

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chaplin - not to totally redirect this thread - but in your opinion, how does this movie stand up to Stephen King's other movies and which movie of his would you rank next in line behind Shawshank - this is assuming that this is your favorite Stephen King movie of course.

Shawn

Well, not to totally redirect this thread--the only other movies made from Stephen King books, for me, that I like would probably be:

The Green Mile
The Stand
Stand by Me
Misery
The Shining

and maybe Needful Things, which for some reason I liked.

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, not to totally redirect this thread--the only other movies made from Stephen King books, for me, that I like would probably be:

The Green Mile
The Stand
Misery
The Shining

and maybe Needful Things, which for some reason I liked.

No Stand By Me? That's interesting - that's a great movie.

Anyway, I digress - back on track with Shawshank...

Stout - you watched this while undergoing processing? Ugh, you'd think the military would have you watch Platoon or something to bring out the war monger in you. :D

Shawn

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
I honestly think if it ended there, everyone would be wondering what happened to Red...I mean, 2 times in the movie there were major scenes with him up for parole...they HAD to finish that off, they couldn't leave us hanging.

Mike

Yep - I like the way it ended, knowing what happened to Red. I really liked his character a lot. I thought that it was exceptional acting.

I think Chap's right when he says this was probably the best acting group that year. Hope the Casting Director was compensated accordingly.

Shawn

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorites. Not only a great movie, but a great movie that holds up on repeated viewings.

Some SR trivia (with spoilers, if it's possible that someone hasn't seen this yet...):

The role of Tommy Williams was intended for Brad Pitt.

The mug shots on Red's (Morgan Freeman's) parole papers are actually pictures of Freeman's son, who also supplied one of the voices for the "fresh fishes" scene.

During the scene where Bogs is being transported to the hospital after being beaten by Hadley, the ambulance car broke down (cause it was such an old car) and the filming crew actually were pushing the car during filming (to give the illusion that the car was actually running).

When Andy was in his car during the night of the murder and it showed his hands loading the gun, it was not really Tim Robbins, but Frank Darabont (because this was decided to be added after the shooting was over).

The beautiful long wall made of stone that Andy told Red to go to was built from scratch.

When Andy was breaking open that pipe (as he was trying to escape through it) they first shot it using his rock hammer instead of that huge rock but it was too dinky so they re-shot it using the big rock.

The phrase "Some birds aren't meant to be caged" is a memorable one from the film. There was supposed to be a scene where Jake (Brook's crow) was supposed to have returned to Shawshank and found dead by Andy and Red. (In order to symbolize that Jake was a bird MEANT to be caged and couldn't survive on the outside just like Brooks) There was supposed to be a scene where the gang holds a funeral of Jake out on the field in memory of Brooks.

The ending where they show Red finding Andy at the beach and they hug was not originally supposed to be in the film. Darabont didn't want to shoot the scene but his associates convinced him to. Even after shooting the scene he was going to cut if from the film, but the test audiences loved it and he finally gave in and decided to leave it in the film.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm quite happy I've come to that opinion.

Look, the intent here is to discuss, which you are clearly NOT doing. So why are you posting at all?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, the intent here is to discuss, which you are clearly NOT doing. So why are you posting at all?

You yourself said:

You invited anyone to post saying they didn't like the movie. I did just that. As you commented yourself, I was succinct. I was content to leave my contribution at that.

Then...

Fischer King asked me a direct question, even if only in jest. Thinking frivolity to not be a violation of this discussion, I answered him.

Chandler Mike asked me directly if I was serious. I replied. He then made a comment based on my opinion of the movie. I merely responded that I didn't share his interpretation of my opinion.

Should I not respond? Am I not allowed to discuss because I didn't like the movie? Are there some substantive guidelines that I alone am not privy to? I shared my opinion, as per your invitation and have since been merely responding to others. I'm not at any level trying to manipulate the thread or detract from the discussion.

However, I shall heed your wishes and not participate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison