Movie-A-Day #1: The Shawshank Redemption

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Look, the intent here is to discuss, which you are clearly NOT doing. So why are you posting at all?

Exactly...how about some discussion from you WHY you didn't like it, because that would be interesting.

Mike

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the novella and saw the movie.

I really didn't like the novella. The movie captured more of the prison life and dismay between the inmates.

I didn't like the fact that there were several Wardens in the written work. The movie showed that a mutual trust between the Wardne and Andy developed and basically the Warden relied on Andy and would keep him at any cost.

The Title of the Novella is "The Shawshank Redemption and Rita Hayworth."

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by WaywardFan

Should I not respond? Am I not allowed to discuss because I didn't like the movie? Are there some substantive guidelines that I alone am not privy to? I shared my opinion, as per your invitation and have since been merely responding to others. I'm not at any level trying to manipulate the thread or detract from the discussion.

However, I shall heed your wishes and not participate.

What the heck are you talking about? All of us are TRYING to get you to participate! The point is, you're not, and we would all love to hear WHY you don't like it.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296

The Title of the Novella is "The Shawshank Redemption and Rita Hayworth."

I thought it was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", but I could be wrong.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", but I could be wrong.

You are correct. :bang:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent seen this movie in ages. But I remember loving it!

I thought the story was very good it almost felt as though you were one of the characters and you could feel there pain and happiness! VERY POWERFUL!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your favorite moment of the movie?

1. I love the end, always is nice to see them find each other at the end.

2. The scene when the warden throws the rock through the poster.

Mike

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are several small instances that I loved:

1) The shot discussed earlier at the beginning of the movie.

2) The chess piece through the poster of Raquel Welch is great.

3) The crane shot of Andy Dufresne in the rain.

There are some other, much smaller scenes that I really liked:

4) The short conversation between Andy and Red the day before he escaped. That is where the "Get busy living or get busy dying" remark originated.

5) When Boggs gets the crap kicked out of him by Officer Hadley in his cell.

6) The entire tarring of the roof scene from beginning to end is great too.

7) And of course, Brooks' letter to the guys about how he "isn't going to stay" on the outside.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I really liked the whole tarring the roof scene as well.

I think my favorite scene is when Red is being interviewed for his parole after Andy escapes. He gives his reasons why he regrets the choices he made in life and talks about what he would say to his younger self if he could go back and do things again. Great scene! Completely riveting.

"Go on and stamp your form, Sonny and quit wasting my time."

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite scenes is Red's monologue when they are all sitting outside on the benches in the prison yard and they are reading the letter from Brooksie. Red goes off about being Institutionalized and how they put you in there for life and life is exactly what they take - that's a great monologue and a great scene.

Shawn

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Good choice for a first movie, Chap!

One of my all-time faves. I'm partial to the novella but Frank (Nightmare on Elm St. 3 - gotta start somewhere) Darabont did a great job with the adaptation.

How do you tell a good director? When he invokes emotions from you. Whether the choice of camera movements/angles or the rise of a soundtrack. Darabont does these all and he does them all so well that none of them distract from the story on screen.

My favorite scene has to be when Hadley is holding Dufrene (sp) on the edge of the roof. I'm scared of heights and I get a chill up my spine when the camera is hovering over them and you can see the prisoners four stories down on the ground looking up at Andy dangling over the side. I met Clancy Brown (Hadley) and he was very willing to talk about this role. He loved it. Suprisingly he's a pretty nice guy in person.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5) When Boggs gets the crap kicked out of him by Officer Hadley in his cell.

6) The entire tarring of the roof scene from beginning to end is great too.

Two of my favorite scenes as well. This is an amazing movie. The feeling is like really being there. The soundtrack is outstanding too.

I also liked the opera scene and freedom feelings it evokes by Red's voice over.

Also, let me add I thought Sadler was solid as Heywood. Liked that character alot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just as a heads up, someone earlier mentioned that it might be good to give a slight foreshadow to what movies will come in the following days...

Right now, my next 2 picks will continue with Frank Darabont:

Tomorrow: The Green Mile
Wednesday: The Majestic

I have an idea what my picks will be after that, but I don't want to give them away! :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a heads up, someone earlier mentioned that it might be good to give a slight foreshadow to what movies will come in the following days...

Right now, my next 2 picks will continue with Frank Darabont:

Tomorrow: The Green Mile
Wednesday: The Majestic

I have an idea what my picks will be after that, but I don't want to give them away! :D

Perhaps Darabont should do more King movies - he seems to do an extremely good with them.

Shawn

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When you do Majestic, put spoilers on any possible spoilers...I haven't seen it (no desire-Jim Carey is not a serious actor IMO), but I'd like to hear objective opinions on the movie.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOVE THIS MOVIE! Defintely one of my all-time favorites!

BIM , thanks for the trivia notes. Cool to read.

Loved the scene when Andy plays the music on the record player/phonograph and broadcasts it throughout the prison yard. Classic!

Also loved the "get busy living or get busy dying" line. The roof tarring scene was great! And I was absolutely floored when those rocks went through the poster. I swear my face looked just like the warden's and Red's!

The whole "you're right, salvation lies within" note left to the warden in the Bible was superb.

And I loved when Andy was on trial and the prosecutor said something along the lines of isn't it convenient that the gun was never found in the lake that Andy threw it in and Andy says "Since I am innocent of this crime, I find it decidedly inconvenient." LOVED IT ALL. (Of course, now that I know Brad Pitt was supposed to be in it, I suppose that would have improved it just a tad. :) )

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jersey Girl Cards Fan
(Of course, now that I know Brad Pitt was supposed to be in it, I suppose that would have improved it just a tad. :) )

I'm not sure about that - I thought Robbins was perfect as Andy - very subtle and understated. I love Brad Pitt as an actor and I think he's extremely talented, but I'm not sure he would have pulled off that performance as well as Robbins did. Unfortunately, I guess we'll never know.

Shawn

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
I'm not sure about that - I thought Robbins was perfect as Andy - very subtle and understated. I love Brad Pitt as an actor and I think he's extremely talented, but I'm not sure he would have pulled off that performance as well as Robbins did. Unfortunately, I guess we'll never know.

Shawn

I believe Gil Bellow's character Tommy was the role intended for Pitt, not Dufresne.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
I believe Gil Bellow's character Tommy was the role intended for Pitt, not Dufresne.

Ah - well, that would have been a better fit for Brad. I could see him playing that role. I would have been okay with that. I guess I'd better go back and read BIM's posted trivia again eh?

Shawn

Reaction score
We had a discussion in class a couple of weeks ago between me and 2 other people. We all realized that when the movie is playing on tnt or tbs, it always comes to the part when Andy is escaping. Does that happen to any of you guys?

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
bleedingblueandsilver said:
We had a discussion in class a couple of weeks ago between me and 2 other people. We all realized that when the movie is playing on tnt or tbs, it always comes to the part when Andy is escaping. Does that happen to any of you guys?

What do you mean? That it ends after he escapes?

Reaction score
Well, everytime I change the channel to the movie, it's always on the part where the warden discovers he escaped through the wall.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Aah, I get it. That seems to happen with most movies that play on television. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson