More Thoughts and Dare I Ask---A December to Remember?

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
7. As crazy as this sounds...and I don't mean to raise false hopes...but if the cynicism can be erased in time for Sunday's game versus the Rams...the Cardinals might find what it takes to run the table...and if they wind up at 8-8 with the Rams, the Cardinals can still win the title.

Maybe the laughing incident was the best thing that could have happened last night.

You never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk&feature=related

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
a few thoughts on your stuff above:

1. Q was a great player. Lets not turn him into a saint. Of course he is happy now: he got the new deal he wanted. As long as the Cards had Fitz as 1A and Q as 1B (and that is exactly how they had it), Q wasn't going to be happy.

2. Have the Cardinals tried to attract high profile free agents? Their stated philosophy has been to sign the "solid, competent vet" type guy. I just don't think this is an issue.

3. Yep. Its my biggest concern. Performances like that suggest its far beyond ability or scheme.

Karma,----- I am not so sure that the solid, competent vet type isn't Whiz's idea. The Steelers never spent big money on vets, they grew their own. Remember, before Whiz, we did go after a high priced, high profile guy in Edge. The ownership did not balk at spending the money then, and I doubt that they would if Whiz asked for the same. Remember, much like the previous coach did, Whiz probably had more of ownerships ear, and football respect, than Graves does. At least I believe that this was the case prior to Whiz blowing up what seemed to be a well thought out plan just after he was given his contract extension. He more than likely doesn't have that type of clout now, nor should he have after his misuse of peronnel and talent.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If there is such a thing as "good chemistry" then its opposite must also hold true, which is what I believe we're seeing now.

Whiz was very perceptive this past summer when he realized that Leinart was completely out of step with both the staff and his surrounding cast of fellow players - and last night brought us the proof of that insight. I guess Leinart evidently wanted to win and took losses very personally while the rest of this sorry group, well, not so much.

We would have been better sending 52 guys to Houston and rebuilding around one who cared. And if you guys don't think it was hard to type that previous sentence about the bong boy, you'd be wrong. :)

JTS

Good read, btw - Thanks, Walt
number1.gif

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every team loses players.

However the smart teams, the FO's that know what they are doing, plan a year or 2 in advance of the players they may lose.

Two years ago we KNEW Warner was going to retire. Why did we not get someone on place then? Don't answer that with, " we had Leinart" because that only makes us look dumber.

We franchised Dansby 2 years in a row. That same amount of money could have signed hi to a long term contract 3 years ago. But we mamby pambied about how we weren't quite sure about how motivated he would be with a long term deal.

We've all probably experienced a similar situation at our jobs. A guy is gets the title of the "boss" (qb). He's a nice guy and everybody likes him but the place is going to hell in a hand basket because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. You try to help out. You bust your butt for him but it finally becomes evident he just don't get it. Your intensity fades a bit because you know, no matter what you do, things are not going to improve. Eventually you start to accept that it's just the way things are.

I'm sure DA is a nice guy. I'm sure there are guys on this team that like him, but I'm also sure there are guys on this team that knows he just don't have it. Yes, they're going to still try and block their guy, catch the ball no matter where it's thrown and fight for every yard when the ball is handed off to you. But you just know when it comes down to crunch time what is going to happen....especially after playing with a guy like Kurt Warner that last few years.

That's where this team is. And nothing is going to change until we acquire a bonofide NFL QB.

Mitch , if you read this, tell me what your views would be on taking a flyer on Vince Young.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2. Have the Cardinals tried to attract high profile free agents? Their stated philosophy has been to sign the "solid, competent vet" type guy. I just don't think this is an issue.
In all my years as a Cardinal fan, I've never heard the Cards going after a top tier free agent. The biggest free agent we ever signed in my lifetime as a Cardinal fan was Edge. Oh, I've seen some pretty big free agents leave this team. I think the closest we ever came was when Joe Montana was contemplating coming here in 1993.
1. Q was a great player. Lets not turn him into a saint. Of course he is happy now: he got the new deal he wanted. As long as the Cards had Fitz as 1A and Q as 1B (and that is exactly how they had it), Q wasn't going to be happy.
What I don't get is how we didn't have room on our team for Q. The Ravens have Lewis, Suggs, Michael Oher, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Landry, to name a few. That's some big time players and they can afford them and Q. We don't have players in the same league as these and we couldn't afford Q, Rolle, or Dansby? UFB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In all my years as a Cardinal fan, I've never heard the Cards going after a top tier free agent. The biggest free agent we ever signed in my lifetime as a Cardinal fan was Edge. Oh, I've seen some pretty big free agents leave this team. I think the closest we ever came was when Joe Montana was contemplating coming here in 1993.

What I don't get is how we didn't have room on our team for Q. The Ravens have Lewis, Suggs, Michael Oher, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Landry, to name a few. That's some big time players and they can afford them and Q. We don't have players in the same league as these and we couldn't afford Q, Rolle, or Dansby? UFB.

Good points. The Cards had Fitz and Q together for 6 years. That they couldn't figure out how to keep both of them happy while winning back to back NFC Championships is their fault. Not Anquan's.

I mean its not like earlier years where our star players would get tired of going 5-11 every year because Fred Wakefield was starting at Offensive Tackle.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn