More happening?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish I would have started a counter for how many times you say a player is 2-3 years away, it's a go to saying for you

Most prospects who are not immediately NBA ready are. Jalen Smith is not immediately NBA ready, as he does not yet have an NBA body.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alot of players don't , that doesn't stop them from playing immediately

That doesn't mean they are ready to contribute big minutes to a team that is all-in for the playoffs over the next two seasons, to the tune of trading for a 35 year old point guard making over $40 million per season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most prospects who are not immediately NBA ready are. Jalen Smith is not immediately NBA ready, as he does not yet have an NBA body.

He's going to play 10-15 minutes right away.

There is not really a ton of contact anymore except at center, since few power forwards post up anymore.

Not going to take long to put 10-15 pounds on him either which is really all he needs.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
That doesn't mean they are ready to contribute big minutes to a team that is all-in for the playoffs over the next two seasons, to the tune of trading for a 35 year old point guard making over $40 million per season.
Well he's going to so better get used to it. He's going to be fine, he'll start off as a good rotation player and we will see how fast he gets to a possible starting role. My original point is every time you say a players best case is 2-3 years the player comes out blazing from the start so I'm actually happy you posted it !

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He's going to play 10-15 minutes right away.

There is not really a ton of contact anymore except at center, since few power forwards post up anymore.

Not going to take long to put 10-15 pounds on him either which is really all he needs.
Cam put on some bulk during the pause in the season. It can be done!

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just remember this thread when Smith is a main contributor on our roster this year. We can put it next to his wonderful Saric and Cam thread

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just remember this thread when Smith is a main contributor on our roster this year. We can put it next to his wonderful Saric and Cam thread

I actually LIKE the Smith pick. I just don't think he is immediately ready to contribute big NBA minutes.

And I was RIGHT about Saric, as he was so awful as a starter and as a back-up 4 that he fell out of the rotation entirely. Saric only regained his minutes when Aron Baynes' and Frank Kaminsky's injuries, combined with Diallo's ineffectiveness, forced Monty to play Saric as a back-up stretch 5.

Meanwhile, Cam didn't show much of anything, either, until Monty started playing him as a stretch 4. Even then, Clarke, Herro and Washington, the three players I wanted at 11 last year, all outperformed Cam. So while I was wrong about Cam not being able to contribute in the NBA at all, my wrath at that pick wasn't entirely misdirected.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That starting combo won't finish above .500, even with a healthy Paul. They can't just take the bubble team and substitute Paul for Rubio and expect that to work over a full season.
Never the less. That's what it is at the moment. Saric is best as a b/u. Don't think they'll be able to reup Baynes...so?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Never the less. That's what it is at the moment. Saric is best as a b/u. Don't think they'll be able to reup Baynes...so?

They don't necessarily need to re-up Baynes at this point. Ayton starts at the 5. Saric and Smith can back up at the 4 and 5. Cam can back up at the 4. They could use a beefier situational center off the bench to match up with the likes of Azubuike. But what they need above all else is a starting 4.

On the bench, what they now need are back-ups at the 2 and 3. I am fine with Payne and Carter as the back-up point guards, even if neither is the PGOF.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I am watching film of Smith and his game has a lot of Serge Ibaka elements. He moves faster than Ibaka.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So I am watching film of Smith and his game has a lot of Serge Ibaka elements. He moves faster than Ibaka.

It does. It would be almost too perfect if there were some way to bring in Ibaka to start at the 4 and take Smith under his wing for the next 2-3 years.

Unfortunately, Ibaka is more likely to stay in Toronto or jump to one of the L.A. teams, the Warriors, the Celtics, the Sixers or the Heat than he is to come here for the MLE.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It does. It would be almost too perfect if there were some way to bring in Ibaka to start at the 4 and take Smith under his wing for the next 2-3 years.

Unfortunately, Ibaka is more likely to stay in Toronto or jump to one of the L.A. teams, the Warriors, the Celtics, the Sixers or the Heat than he is to come here for the MLE.
It won't take Smith 2-3 years to take over the 4. He's very advanced and more ready than Williams will be going to the Bulls @ #4. Anyway with three proven scorers, he's needed more for all the other intangibles, and he brings that now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It won't take Smith 2-3 years to take over the 4. He's very advanced and more ready than Williams will be going to the Bulls @ #4. Anyway with three proven scorers, he's needed more for all the other intangibles, and he brings that now.

The Bulls don't have playoff aspirations and a 2-year window. They can better afford to let their prospect take his lumps than can we. And where Smith really needs to develop is with respect to those other intangibles: lower body strength, defense, fluidity, passing, ball handling. He is definitely a work in progress, and we are in win-now mode. We need a serviceable power forward in front of him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose