Monday AM Practice

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Whatever your identity "Hardy Brown", I'm glad you are on the board. Your reports and game details are very informative and helpful in understanding the technical details.

Thanks!
:thumbup:
Fantastic Insight Hardy! Much appreciated!

seesred

Reaction score
Who is this Hardy person? Great understanding of the game it appears. I wonder in his opinion why do some think we are not strong in defensive backs. I like Rolle, Machlin, Green, Tate and with Fransisco, Wilson and Pace all over the place it sounds like to me that this area is not weak at all. Granted if someone on top goes down, but that could be true for any team.

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
seesred said:
Who is this Hardy person? Great understanding of the game it appears. I wonder in his opinion why do some think we are not strong in defensive backs. I like Rolle, Machlin, Green, Tate and with Fransisco, Wilson and Pace all over the place it sounds like to me that this area is not weak at all. Granted if someone on top goes down, but that could be true for any team.

GBR

Beacuse we only have three legitimate NFL players at corner in Rolle, Macklin, and Green. Tate didn't make the team last year and was re-signed to the squad halfway through.

I do think that the secondary concerns are overrated because they were banged up all last season and didn't have much of a pass rush in front of them, but I think if we had another guy like Renaldo Hill or someone with 4-5 years of NFL experience but still has some legs left, then we'd not be looked at with so much skepticism. But we're only 1-deep at the corner position, and we're weak at free safety (not obliterated, as some would have you believe, just weak).

Aaron Francisco hasn't done anything yet at this level, it's hard to say that suddenly he's a strength. I love-love-love Adrian Wilson, but he needs to make more plays on the ball to make it to the Pro Bowl.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
On Fred Wakefield--while I know that he's getting mauled in bull-rush situations, do you think he's doing okay in re-directing blockers on runs to his side? Do you think we'll have to dedicate a tight end on that side in pass pro? I know that zone-blocking systems like to use lighter, more agile blockers. Do you think that Wakefield has what it takes to at least be adequate in a zone-block scheme?
Wakefield has improved, from what I've seen, but he still plays too high and tends to bend at the waist, not the knees. This may prevent him from ever being a solid starter.

There are ways to protect a suspect tackle, to a point. Slide-protection can be used to slide the line toward the suspect tackle, a TE can release through a good rush DE, a RB can "chip" his way out of the backfield (assuming his protection responsibility drops into coverage) or, maybe the best way, you can be a complete, balanced offense, running the ball, mixing in three-step drops, throwing screens, keeping you offense out of 3rd & Obvious down & distances.

The Tackle-Zone (6 and 7 zone) is what Denver, Atlanta and Houston run and their lineman are typically lighter, more agile (and smart). The Cardinals are running the Inside-Zone and the Outside-Zone (a misnomer of sorts because, unless they get a particular defensive-front, they block it by pulling the uncovered lineman). The Inside-Zone (4 and 5 zone) is a north and south play, much more physical at the point-of-attack than the other zone-plays and you NEVER pull lineman.

Wakefield, in terms of running the ball, would do well with teams that run the Tackle-Zone. I do not know if he'll ever be a good run-blocking tackle in the scheme the Cardinals are using.

There is much more to say about this but the morning practice beckons...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How're Lance Mitchell and Daryl Blackstock looking? If they can become NFL players this offseason, it'll really help with linebacker depth. I don't expect much of anything from Brandon Lewis this season, but those two guys should be key to the LB rotation that Clancy Pendergast likes to use.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Hardy" - Can many offensive linemen be re-taught to knee bend? Or are they, as a rule, physically unable to bend at the knees.

Fred's fairly new at the RT position. My hope is that he could learn to bend his knees and keep his butt down. Is this a realistic expectation - i.e. is it a physical thing or a mental thing?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get some free time, could you outline the difference between "1 technique", "2 technique" and "3 technique" at DT? (I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't understand a lot of that stuff).
Don't be embarrassed, Jeff. Your honesty tells me you're very secure about the man you are and, based on your posts, you're knowledge of the game is sound.

1-Technique (designed to penetrate, control a gap): DT shading the shoulder of the center TO the strength of the formation. Kendrick Clancy, Langston Moore and Gabe Watson play this in our 4-3 Under scheme.

2-Technique (designed to control gaps to either side of the offensive-lineman): DT lined head up on either guard, moving with him, playing either side. We do not teach this technique.

3-Technique (designed to penetrate, control a gap): DT shading the outside shoulder of the weakside guard. Darnell Dockett, Jonathan Lewis and, at times, Langston Moore (swing-man) in our 4-3 Under scheme.

Awesome stuff Hardy! I had an idea of the differences between the three techniques but this really clears things up once an for all.

You are increasing the football IQ of many of us!

Question about the 1-Technique Tackle, have you seen them using that slant technique that we've seen in the past?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I'll say this about Wakefield, they sure are getting him a lot of work. When I watched practice they have him running at right tackle with the 1st team and then they flip him over to the left tackle position to run with the 2nd team.

This could mean that we are really thin at tackle or it could mean that their trying to get Fred a lot of work. It could be a combination of the two. We are thin but because Fred is still pretty new to the offensive side of the ball they may feel that he can get better with more reps.

I kind of noticed the same thing with John Bronson. When the running backs were practicing alone down on the west field they were running play after play with the fullback leading through the hole. He was the only fullback working with about five running backs, so they rotated while he had to run every play. It looked like they were trying to get him as much work as possible after his position switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard