Monday AM Practice

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
Some gifts for the starving:

Larry Fitgerald is a freak of freakin' nature. I cannot tell you how many one-handed grabs he has made over the last week but I don't think I could count them on one-hand. He made one this morning that stunned me. Then again, shake his hand and you'll know why he makes this routine.

Milford Brown, locking down Dockett in one-on-one and abusing Okeafor on an ET stunt raised my eyebrows. Chike came inside and got drilled to the ground by Brown. He is catching my eye and I am greatly encouraged. At this point of training camp, he might be the under-the-radar free-agent signing of the off-season.

Oliver Ross will be out three to five-weeks. I still think they should try to bring in another tackle. Wakefield breathes football and gives you everything he's got and is improving, but there is room for concern.

Leonard Pope started camp slowly but he has come on of late. This kid impresses. He can run. He shows good hands. He had a very good morning...blocking. I smiled, watching him compete. He's got a chance...

Gabe Watson had a good practice, sucking up blockers. Wolfley called him, "The Black Hole."

Langston Moore ran with the first-team, playing the 1-technique, and looks like he should stay there. Kendrick Clancy was out with a tweaked groin (nothing serious). Although Clancy has been called a "gamer," if you based the starting 1-technique purely on practice, Langston Moore would get my vote to start.

Jon Bronson has changed his number to 39. He shows a willingness to stick his head into the point-of-attack but is getting roughed up at the moment. He must learn to explode through the man on contact and not gather himself. If he can make the mental adjustment, learning how to explode in space, he might be the terror of the NFL. This may prove difficult, but this is a large man.

Our four-deep wide-receivers look like linebackers...so impressive.

Dennis Green knows what he's doing. Believe it...

The Cardinals have put in a few more runs this week. I'll be watching closely Saturday to see what running plays actually get called during the game. I fully expect to see only a handful of running plays as the season approaches. Coaches do not feel comfortable going into games unless they have more than a few running plays in their arsenal. Then, as games are played and plays get stuffed, they revert to plays that work and trim-down their ground attack. This is part of what training camp is designed for: do you have the players to execute your philosophy.

Milford Brown...(see above).

The Cardinals have focused on the Red-Zone over the last three-days. As bad as we were at this last year, I wish we'd do it almost every day. If Edgerrin James can be effective in the Red-Zone (assuming he can), this team might put up unheard of numbers. Their vertical threat (Pope, Boldin, Fitzgerald and Johnson) is a loaded gun. Although the square-footage in the Red-Zone, horizontally, is reduced, the Cardinals may be unmatched in the league, vertically. Show me they can run the ball with only average results and I'll show you the best offense in the NFL.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Havent heard all that much about the other Interior OL.

Wells, Step, and so on.

And what about Davis. I saw him a few days before camp and he looked to be in the best shape I have ever seen him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Gifts for the staving"....indeed!

I agree with you on the tackle spot. Ross missed almost all of training camp and his play really suffered the first couple of games back. I'm nervous that the Cards will stand pat and history will repeat itself.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep it incomin' Hardy.

When you get some free time, could you outline the difference between "1 technique", "2 technique" and "3 technique" at DT? (I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't understand a lot of that stuff).

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Thanks for the report. How's Boldin doing in camp?
I just heard Boldin sat out this mornings practice with a sore Hammy?

seesred

Reaction score
I hear that the least you here a OL 's name the better off he is. Thanks for this good stuff. I look foward to Saturday ML or not. I don't think we will see the Edge past the first set.

GBR

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the news Hardy. I was at the scrimmage last Sat and was very impressed with LeRon McCoy. Has he looked good so far in Flag or did he just have a very good day at the scrimmage?

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Wells, Step, and so on.

And what about Davis. I saw him a few days before camp and he looked to be in the best shape I have ever seen him.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw him at practice last week.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hardy (and anyone else that has been to camp) -

Did you notice Bert Berry out there? He looked like a 10-year-old at the playground on the first day of summer break. He and Rolle kept jumping up and twirling next to each another. Looked like they were having the time of their life. Wouldn't surprise me if Berry gets 18+ sacks this year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
Hardy (and anyone else that has been to camp) -

Did you notice Bert Berry out there? He looked like a 10-year-old at the playground on the first day of summer break. He and Rolle kept jumping up and twirling next to each another. Looked like they were having the time of their life. Wouldn't surprise me if Berry gets 18+ sacks this year.

It's really wierd how you hardly hear ANY talk about Berry. The guy made the Pro Bowl, was on pace to match those numbers last year, and he still flys under the radar.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
Larry Fitgerald is a freak of freakin' nature. I cannot tell you how many one-handed grabs he has made over the last week but I don't think I could count them on one-hand.

LOL. Nice. Thanks again for the reports, Hardy. :cheers:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the info glad to see that Milford Brown is improving also i'm really excited to see Pope since i'm a huge Georgia Bulldog fan anyone know yet if Pope is going to be our starter at te?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Another glowing report from camp. Seems suspiciously koolaidish.

Wakefield's going to give it everything he's got, but to hope for anything better than mediocre play at RT is foolish.

Opposing defenses are going to pour in from the right side on pass plays, and will key on our center and left side on run plays because they know Fred can't run block.

I don't like the sound of that at all, but does anyone disagree?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I was also at practice today and Milford Brown really impressed me also. He just didn't knock Chike down he drilled him. It was on a stunt and MB wasn't fooled and when Chike swung around it was like he hit a wall. There was a loud pop, the players ooood and Chike went backward as fast as he was previously going forward. He handled Dockett all day too. I'm not sure but I think he was the guy who got into the fight with Watson. I'm not positive about that because there was such a mass of bodies.

Hardy, I also thought that Pope had an excellent block on a sweep when Edge carried the ball, did you see that? I thought it was interesting because they had Pope line up on the outside as a reciever not at the traditional TE position and he provided an excellent crack back block. It seems when he's away from the big bodies inside he may be able to use his athletic ability a little more. I think it also might force defenses hands on how they plan to cover him. He could really force some mismatches when he lines up outside. Do you think this might be something they plan to use more to creat problems for defenses?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
On Leonard Davis

joeshmo said:

Wells, Step, and so on.

=================================================

Sports Illustrated in their recent "postcard from Cardinals camp" mentioned 'Big' positively.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/nunyo_demasio/08/04/postcard.cardinals/index.html

2. The new stadium and new stud back are meaningless if the offensive line struggles again. The good news is that left tackle Leonard Davis looks good in more ways than one. Playing in the final year of his contract, Davis has shed about 10 pounds while remaining one of the most massive players in the NFL (6-6, 365 pounds). He's been mauling defenders at practice and is poised to earn his first Pro Bowl appearance. Last season he was an alternate.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
How's Boldin doing in camp?
Other than tweaking his hamstring (nothing serious, Denny wouldn't even qualify him as being injured), he's Anaquan Boldin...shredding people.

Wells, Step, and so on.

And what about Davis.

I'm really watching the new-guys. Reggie Wells is our best lineman, great feet; Step is our best center, pretty average; and Big is having a very impressive camp. I want to see him do it in a game.

When you get some free time, could you outline the difference between "1 technique", "2 technique" and "3 technique" at DT? (I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't understand a lot of that stuff).
Don't be embarrassed, Jeff. Your honesty tells me you're very secure about the man you are and, based on your posts, you're knowledge of the game is sound.

1-Technique (designed to penetrate, control a gap): DT shading the shoulder of the center TO the strength of the formation. Kendrick Clancy, Langston Moore and Gabe Watson play this in our 4-3 Under scheme.

2-Technique (designed to control gaps to either side of the offensive-lineman): DT lined head up on either guard, moving with him, playing either side. We do not teach this technique.

3-Technique (designed to penetrate, control a gap): DT shading the outside shoulder of the weakside guard. Darnell Dockett, Jonathan Lewis and, at times, Langston Moore (swing-man) in our 4-3 Under scheme.

I was at the scrimmage last Sat and was very impressed with LeRon McCoy. Has he looked good so far in Flag or did he just have a very good day at the scrimmage?
He has looked very good. He dropped a couple of balls over the last couple of days and this concerns me (and the circle I run in). This is the ONLY knock against this kid. If he had reliable hands he would be a star in this league: sub 4.4 forty, plays with game-speed, big, strong, runs good routes and knocks the crap out of db's when he's blocking. But that's a big if...

You know what this may be a really stupid question and you may not want to answer it, but. Are you Ron Wolfley.
Although I do not wish to reveal my identity, I'll say we run in the same circle and think very much alike.

Another glowing report from camp. Seems suspiciously koolaidish.
When you know the game of football you trust your eyes and process the information received. Drinking kool-aid, when you know the game, would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it? It sort of defeats the purpose. In addition, I am an optimist; therefore, I tend to talk about players, schemes and coaches that have impressed me. I don't focus on the negatives. I'll leave that up to other people.

It seems when he's (Pope) away from the big bodies inside he may be able to use his athletic ability a little more. I think it also might force defenses hands on how they plan to cover him. He could really force some mismatches when he lines up outside. Do you think this might be something they plan to use more to creat problems for defenses?
Yes. I'd like to see a corner/safety come up and press Pope on the line-of-scrimmage. Good luck.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hardy--

On Fred Wakefield--while I know that he's getting mauled in bull-rush situations, do you think he's doing okay in re-directing blockers on runs to his side? Do you think we'll have to dedicate a tight end on that side in pass pro? I know that zone-blocking systems like to use lighter, more agile blockers. Do you think that Wakefield has what it takes to at least be adequate in a zone-block scheme?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose