Miller once again does it again!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every time I see an updated post to this thread I think its Miller hauling in another recruit but then I am disappointed when I see its an unrelated post to Miller & UA.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Every time I see an updated post to this thread I think its Miller hauling in another recruit but then I am disappointed when I see its an unrelated post to Miller & UA.

If it helps, Miller and co. were out on several recruiting trips this weekend checking out big time recruits, including Comanche and Simon.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If it helps, Miller and co. were out on several recruiting trips this weekend checking out big time recruits, including Comanche and Simon.

Thank you TJ. Yes, let's bring this thread back on topic. I believe UA is also keeping tabs on their top target, Ivan Rabb. They made Chase Jeter's Final 6 but I think everyone is in agreement that Jeter to Duke is inevitable.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Adams left for NBA.

Yeah I was never 100% sold because the rumor the day he announced he wsa staying was he was leaving. His mom had a stroke last year and he's made it clear he wanted to help. He nearly transferred last year to be closer to her.

With a bunch of kids recently staying he may have figured he has a chance to sneak into the first round although I seriously doubt it. To me he's a classic terrific college player with no obvious pro position.

With Daniel Hamilton apparently a lock for UCONN unclear what UCLA does now. they're apparently trying hard to get transfer Danuel House from Houston but he'd have to sit a year in all likelihood.

Massive loss. I can't fault him at all his moms health put him in a situation where he had to consider going right or wrong.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless they have a big time scorer emerge then I cannot see them going 18-0.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UA has a very legitimate shot at going 18-0 in conference next season. Maybe @ Utah?

Unless they have a big time scorer emerge then I cannot see them going 18-0.

Even if Stanley Johnson turns out to be that big time scorer I think the Cats have almost as good of a chance at finishing a game 18-0 as they do finishing the Pac schedule that way. Okay, slight exaggeration but given how seldom a team runs the table in a major conference, "very legitimate" seems like a real stretch.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Stanley Johnson turns out to be that big time scorer I think the Cats have almost as good of a chance at finishing a game 18-0 as they do finishing the Pac schedule that way. Okay, slight exaggeration but given how seldom a team runs the table in a major conference, "very legitimate" seems like a real stretch.

Steve

Florida did it last year in a conference where UK made the championship game.

That said it's too early because we still have no idea what the rosters are going to be. UCLA losing Adams was huge, but if say the Lakers hire Kevin Ollie then the odds of Daniel Hamilton going to UCONN are almost nil, he would likely join his brother at UCLA and replace Adams. not as good, but would fill much of the gaping hole Adams left.

Oregon has transfers coming in or in the works. Things haven't settled yet, Cal is losing Rorie but likely gaining one or 2 transfer from hiring Cuonzo Martin.

If the season started tomorrow UA would be the overwhelming favorite in the conference, but it doesn't start tomorrow.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Florida did it last year in a conference where UK made the championship game.

That said it's too early because we still have no idea what the rosters are going to be. UCLA losing Adams was huge, but if say the Lakers hire Kevin Ollie then the odds of Daniel Hamilton going to UCONN are almost nil, he would likely join his brother at UCLA and replace Adams. not as good, but would fill much of the gaping hole Adams left.

Oregon has transfers coming in or in the works. Things haven't settled yet, Cal is losing Rorie but likely gaining one or 2 transfer from hiring Cuonzo Martin.

If the season started tomorrow UA would be the overwhelming favorite in the conference, but it doesn't start tomorrow.

I think Arizona will be the overwhelming favorite almost regardless of what occurs this offseason. But still, it's rare for a team to go undefeated in a major conference. It happens but it doesn't happen often. Florida benefitted from a down year in the SEC, maybe the same will happen for us.

Last year's squad before Brandon went down was very good, good enough to win it all and they had just escaped from enough games to make it likely they would have come up short a few times even without the injury. I doubt we lose to both Berkeley and the Devils but that game at Oregon might still have been our undoing. It's tough to predict we'll be better knowing that we will be missing probably our two most key players from that team.

Steve

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Arizona will be the overwhelming favorite almost regardless of what occurs this offseason. But still, it's rare for a team to go undefeated in a major conference. It happens but it doesn't happen often. Florida benefitted from a down year in the SEC, maybe the same will happen for us.

Last year's squad before Brandon went down was very good, good enough to win it all and they had just escaped from enough games to make it likely they would have come up short a few times even without the injury. I doubt we lose to both Berkeley and the Devils but that game at Oregon might still have been our undoing. It's tough to predict we'll be better knowing that we will be missing probably our two most key players from that team.

Steve

Yeah I don't think I'd expect 18-0 either. I'm just saying the offseason isn't done. It's a whole new ballgame with all the transfers and kids getting out of NLI's these days. We have no idea, UCLA right now isn't close to UA. If they were to get say Daniel Hamilton and Namon Wright, they suddenly get much better. If they get Danuel House and he's unexpectedly ruled eligible right away(like Josephy Young last year at Oregon) they look better.

Oregon has a couple of kids in similar situations.

On paper UA has the best roster for sure. The main issue as you said is scoring they really don't have one pure scorer on the roster other than unproven incoming kids like Stanley Johnson and Juco Kadeem Allen. They might both be great, they might not. They don't have obvious glaring holes like UCLA does(PG and 3). UCLA is going to end up with 3 Top 25 recruits coming in and a 4th who redshirted this year(Hamilton) if they add any more to that it's hard not to say UCLA has the 2nd most talent in the conference.

Oregon has talent and more experience. Cal remains to be seen what shakes out with the new staff. Stanford could be good. Colorado is good but losing Dinwiddie killed them. Utah looks to be much improved.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think I'd expect 18-0 either. I'm just saying the offseason isn't done. It's a whole new ballgame with all the transfers and kids getting out of NLI's these days. We have no idea, UCLA right now isn't close to UA. If they were to get say Daniel Hamilton and Namon Wright, they suddenly get much better. If they get Danuel House and he's unexpectedly ruled eligible right away(like Josephy Young last year at Oregon) they look better.

Oregon has a couple of kids in similar situations.

On paper UA has the best roster for sure. The main issue as you said is scoring they really don't have one pure scorer on the roster other than unproven incoming kids like Stanley Johnson and Juco Kadeem Allen. They might both be great, they might not. They don't have obvious glaring holes like UCLA does(PG and 3). UCLA is going to end up with 3 Top 25 recruits coming in and a 4th who redshirted this year(Hamilton) if they add any more to that it's hard not to say UCLA has the 2nd most talent in the conference.

Oregon has talent and more experience. Cal remains to be seen what shakes out with the new staff. Stanford could be good. Colorado is good but losing Dinwiddie killed them. Utah looks to be much improved.
Oh I agree, but as it shakes out now Arizona is head and shoulders above anyone else in the conference. And the second best team on paper (UCLA) comes to McKale so with the unbalanced schedule it favors Arizona having a monster record. 18-0 is tough though no doubt, not sure I'd even want that to be honest.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree, but as it shakes out now Arizona is head and shoulders above anyone else in the conference. And the second best team on paper (UCLA) comes to McKale so with the unbalanced schedule it favors Arizona having a monster record. 18-0 is tough though no doubt, not sure I'd even want that to be honest.

Right on cue Dominic Artis leaving Oregon. Pretty much expected it after last season and then they get Jaquan Lyle. They are also in the running for Ahaad Rorie who got released by Cal from his NLI.

I bet Artis is wishing he'd stuck to UCLA out of HS now. He wouldn't have played much as a freshman but would have played quite a bit last year and would be the odds on favorite to start at PG this year.

I know Altman has done this before but I have a feeling he's really going to regret taking Lyle and in effect forcing out Artis. My understanding is lots of schools(including UCLA and later on UA) totally backed off Lyle because of his personality issues. UCLA dropped him, Arizona Lyle was stating he was coming to visit and the UA insiders were swearing up and down UA was NOT looking at him at all because of behavioral issues. I could see that really blowing up on Oregon. He's apparently really good though.

Edit, Oregon also losing Ben Carter, and apparently Dotson is suspended and incoming transfer Brandon Austin is suspended too. Looks like Oregon is in major turmoil right now.

My take is UCLA won't get Daniel Hamilton, they could get House but he probably won't be allowed to play this year. So Namon Wright is probably the best chance they have to add a kid this year and while he's talented, he's going to be the 4th guy behind Powell, I Hamilton, and Alford. They're just not going to have enough to challenge UA this year unless Isaac is much better at PG than I expect him to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5-star guard Justin Simon has committed to the UofA. Miller does it again.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5-star guard Justin Simon has committed to the UofA. Miller does it again.

Yep he is a terrific get. I actually think he's better than Dorsey but Miller has both.

TJ

Reaction score
Add Anderson and Rabb to 2015 and this team will continue to be loaded.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that with all this new talent, the key for Arizona is that TJ McConnell is coming back.

I love his twitter handle: @ipass4zona

TJ

Reaction score
I think that with all this new talent, the key for Arizona is that TJ McConnell is coming back.

I love his twitter handle: @ipass4zona

Agree, though TJ needs to work on consistently being aggressive when defenders sag off of him on the perimeter. He passed up many wide open looks last season.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simon's commitment was a long time coming. Now if only Rabb would do the inevitable and commit to UA as everyone expects. The real question is, does Chase Jeter surprise everyone and commit to UA? Supposedly he is good friends with Simon.

Dorsey, Simon, Rabb & Jeter would be a hell of a class.

TJ

Reaction score
Simon's commitment was a long time coming. Now if only Rabb would do the inevitable and commit to UA as everyone expects. The real question is, does Chase Jeter surprise everyone and commit to UA? Supposedly he is good friends with Simon.

Dorsey, Simon, Rabb & Jeter would be a hell of a class.

Justice Winslow and Stanley Johnson are good friends, but Winslow went to Duke anyway. We had a good chance at him, too.

Jeter is all but Duke bound. It would take something astronomical for that to change. Same goes for Rabb to Zona. The general consensus is he's going to Tucson. I simply don't see Rabb and Jeter on the same team.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cats keep getting richer. :) Welcome Ryan Anderson!

Ryan Finley ‏@ryan_finley 6m
#ArizonaWildcats land Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson. One of the UA’s top offseason targets.

TJ

Reaction score
Even during the NFL Draft, Arizona Basketball NEVER STOPS

:cats:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose