Mike Vick rules

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
A caller on From the Bleachers had a question this morning that got me thinking.

He asked if Vick could be hit like a running back, if he calls a running play for himself during a game, instead of just scrambling.

Obviously, he plays the QB position, and has a QB number, so no, you can't hit him like a regular running back, since he could decide to "slide" and then you'd get flagged for 15 yds more. Carolina was up in arms earlier this year for penalties called during thier Atlanta game for hits on Vick.

The question is: is it fair that Vick acts like a running back, but is "called" a quarterback, so benefits from protections designed to keep quarterbacks from getting hurt?

Atlanta Falcons
Vick--536 rush yds.--74 attempts--7.2 yds/carry
Dunn-514 rush yds.--135 attempts--3.8 yds/carry
Duckett-272 rush yds--59 attempts-4.6 yds/carry
2004 totals= passing yds--1429 rushing yds. 1402

Quarterback rushing yards:
1)Vick--536
2)Culpepper-204
3)Garcia--169
4)Carr--155

Sacks--NFL
1)Warner--39
2)Vick--30
3)three tied at 25
Sacks are not counted as rushing attempts.

Passing attempts/game NFL:
39)Vick--21.1
40)Quinn-19.2
41)Garrard-19.0
42)Maddox-17.5
43)Flutie--16.0
44)Simms--13.7
45)Holcomb-9.0
46)KING--6.0
47)Pederson-5.8

On paper, Mike Vick looks like a running back, well, he looks like one on TV too.

Let's give Croom a QB #, call him a QB, and direct snap to him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
A caller on From the Bleachers had a question this morning that got me thinking.

He asked if Vick could be hit like a running back, if he calls a running play for himself during a game, instead of just scrambling.

Obviously, he plays the QB position, and has a QB number, so no, you can't hit him like a regular running back, since he could decide to "slide" and then you'd get flagged for 15 yds more. Carolina was up in arms earlier this year for penalties called during thier Atlanta game for hits on Vick.

The question is: is it fair that Vick acts like a running back, but is "called" a quarterback, so benefits from protections designed to keep quarterbacks from getting hurt?

Atlanta Falcons
Vick--536 rush yds.--74 attempts--7.2 yds/carry
Dunn-514 rush yds.--135 attempts--3.8 yds/carry
Duckett-272 rush yds--59 attempts-4.6 yds/carry
2004 totals= passing yds--1429 rushing yds. 1402

Quarterback rushing yards:
1)Vick--536
2)Culpepper-204
3)Garcia--169
4)Carr--155

Sacks--NFL
1)Warner--39
2)Vick--30
3)three tied at 25
Sacks are not counted as rushing attempts.

Passing attempts/game NFL:
39)Vick--21.1
40)Quinn-19.2
41)Garrard-19.0
42)Maddox-17.5
43)Flutie--16.0
44)Simms--13.7
45)Holcomb-9.0
46)KING--6.0
47)Pederson-5.8

On paper, Mike Vick looks like a running back, well, he looks like one on TV too.

Let's give Croom a QB #, call him a QB, and direct snap to him.

You know what's really sad about all the above - at 21.1 pass attempts a game - Vick STILL HAS AS MUCH YARDAGE AS JOSH MCCOWN - so tell me this Lex - what does that make Josh?

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Beef-

I think it makes Josh a very average young quarterback.

Now imagine how much better his yardage would be if every team we played had to spend defenders on HIM, since he could actually be running the ball, when it LOOKS like a pass play?

It's a lot easier to complete a bomb to ONE GUY on a route, when the other 10 guys are chasing YOU around, hoping to CONTAIN you, and not get 15 yards for roughing the QB.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't take long for this thread to turn into a Josh thread. :rolleyes:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Beef-

I think it makes Josh a very average young quarterback.

Now imagine how much better his yardage would be if every team we played had to spend defenders on HIM, since he could actually be running the ball, when it LOOKS like a pass play?

It's a lot easier to complete a bomb to ONE GUY on a route, when the other 10 guys are chasing YOU around, hoping to CONTAIN you, and not get 15 yards for roughing the QB.

Why can't he? We keep hearing how fast he is and how high his vertical jump is but all I see is a guy averaging 2.9 yards per rush which is just about what he averaged at SMU.

He's fast, but he's not a very good runner at this stage of his career as a QB.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Russ-n-Beef

Why don't we just have Josh do what Vick does?

Because Josh is a quarterback, Vick is a running back being protected by the NFL as a quarterback, because they want him to do well.

It's not fair.

That's the POINT of this thread.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Wow, didn't take long for this thread to turn into a Josh thread. :rolleyes:

Yeah, well, Vick is clearly way better than Jake Plummer.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Because Josh is a quarterback, Vick is a running back being protected by the NFL as a quarterback, because they want him to do well.

It's not fair.

The rule was in place before Vick was ever a QB in the NFL. It was to protect guys like Elway, Cunningham and Favre. Why? Because fans would rather watch really exciting players like that instead of some stiff of a backup. I think it's a GREAT rule. Changing it because Lex has a dislike of Mike Vick would be dumb.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
AJ-

Ah, they made the rule to protect quarterbacks, they could change it BACK to the way it was.

I dislike ALL quarterbacks, especially running backs being PROTECTED with a rule implemented to protect quarterbacks.

Hmmm...no one wants to admit how bad those numbers look, just change the subject.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight...

You want to change the rules of the NFL because 1 player has the ability to make use out of the rules.

You are a moron. I don't know a kinder way to put it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

You want to change the rules of the NFL because 1 player has the ability to make use out of the rules.

Namecaller!! Where are the moderators when you need them?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

:biglaugh:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Russ-n-Beef

Why don't we just have Josh do what Vick does?

It's not fair.

That was the point of my post, what's stopping Josh from doing that?

It almost seemed you were implying there are different rules for Vick than for the rest of the NFL QB's, Josh is fast, he should run more if it's open, just keep your head up so when the defenders all come up he too can throw the ball downfield to wide open WR's.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

:biglaugh:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
AJ-

Ah, they made the rule to protect quarterbacks, they could change it BACK to the way it was.

I dislike ALL quarterbacks, especially running backs being PROTECTED with a rule implemented to protect quarterbacks.

Hmmm...no one wants to admit how bad those numbers look, just change the subject.

Because the numbers speak of a QB who can scramble...uhhh...yeah we all know he can do that.

Vick isn't a RB. He is a QB...get over it and move on. You look like some wierdo who has Mike Vick voodoo dolls in his room.

If you don't like him...don't watch him. Pretty easy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:confused:

Did you mean Sam Houston State? :shrug:

nope, Josh played 3 years at SMU and averaged just about the same there he is this year running the ball.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Because the numbers speak of a QB who can scramble...uhhh...yeah we all know he can do that.

Vick isn't a RB. He is a QB...get over it and move on. You look like some wierdo who has Mike Vick voodoo dolls in his room.

If you don't like him...don't watch him. Pretty easy.

thanks for the sig chris :biglaugh:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
thanks for the sig chris :biglaugh:

My tolerance level for silliness is pretty low today.

You are advocating changing the rules of the entire NFL based solely on one player...a player you can't objectively judge because you have this wierd "man hate on" for. Vick might not even be in the league in 5 years due to injury or poor performance.

Lex, have you ever seen that comedian who says "Here is your sign?"

Here is yours. The reason we don't put Larry Croom in at QB is because he can't throw the ball. If he could throw the ball and run like a RB...we would be playing him. He can't. If we did that, he would get murdered in the backfield everytime.