Michigan State at ASU 9-8-18

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't throw to Darby until he knows the play. Better yet, don't put him on the field. We got a chance now, don't let him screw it up.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Geesh. Stay on your feet Benjamin!! He seems like a clumsy RB.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FG is good. The Sun Devils win!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winding the clock down there and depending on the FG was nerve wrecking. Huge win Herm.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Nice job, ASU! Not much offense, but just enough. D played great. Have to feel good about our chances in the PAC South!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I laughed when so many predicted the end times when Anderson hired Herm.
This was a big time signature win and as far as I can tell, the entire operations of this team is light years ahead of where any other coach had it in recent memory.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final: Arizona State 16 Michigan State 13

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to admit that I was one of those people who was afraid that Tucson ended up with the better coaching hire. While two games is a small sample size, I don't think you would find many ASU fans willing to swap right now. The defense seems light years ahead of where they've been the last few years.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the game on TV. Good win ASU. But, what I was impressed with was the crowd. I don't recall seeing a pumped up crowd like this before for ASU. Looked like some of the really big time programs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Signature win early in the Herm era. I hope MSU runs strong the rest of the year to avoid minimizing this win.
They barely squeeked out their opener against a less than stellar directional school. Methinks MSU isn’t good this year.

This was a good win. Coupled with Herm’s TV presence this may gain ASU some air time. Good for the program.

But in the end I think we look back and everyone says “eh MSU just wasn’t very good this year.” Hope I’m wrong.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I have to admit that I was one of those people who was afraid that Tucson ended up with the better coaching hire. While two games is a small sample size, I don't think you would find many ASU fans willing to swap right now. The defense seems light years ahead of where they've been the last few years.
I'm a Wildcat, and there's no freaking way I am trading Sumlin for Herm right now. Very good win last night no doubt (but keep an eye on MSU to see how good after struggling at home in week one), but I still trust Sumlin over Herm long term.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They barely squeeked out their opener against a less than stellar directional school. Methinks MSU isn’t good this year.

This was a good win. Coupled with Herm’s TV presence this may gain ASU some air time. Good for the program.

But in the end I think we look back and everyone says “eh MSU just wasn’t very good this year.” Hope I’m wrong.
I don't think MSU is going to be good this year but that doesn't change the fact that ASU was thought to be one of the worst teams in the Pac 12. If Manny could learn not to overthrow his receivers they look like they could be right in the running for the Pac 12 south, which isn't saying much this year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

You can say that about all the warm up games. Its also possible that Utah State has a decent team. No matter. Great win against a ranked opponent.

Last year MSU had one of the best defenses in the country and they returned 9 starters, they have a vet QB, who really did play a solid game and some good skill players.

My biggest take away was that last drive. I don't think I've ever seen the clock managed better by an ASU coach in my 40+ years of watching Sun Devil games. That last drive was a thing of beauty. At this point I'm really impressed with Edwards.

It's gonna be a long year. They have to play Oregon, Washington, SC and Stanford. All 4 teams are ranked, all 4 games are on the road.

Also, ESPN loves Herm. Signature win, elite facilities, lots of national pub, Devils are going places.

Edit: Stanford is at home but Colorado is away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Wildcat, and there's no freaking way I am trading Sumlin for Herm right now. Very good win last night no doubt (but keep an eye on MSU to see how good after struggling at home in week one), but I still trust Sumlin over Herm long term.

I'm not sure this is the way to look at it. ASU is trying to build a long term model based upon an NFL type structure where the administration will work jointly with the football program instead of separately. Hopefully this will lead to long term success rather than based upon an individual head coach.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And the Devils play Colorado, who just beat Nebraska in Lincoln, on the road.

ASU may have the hardest road schedule west of the Mississippi.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the Devils play Colorado, who just beat Nebraska in Lincoln, on the road.

ASU may have the hardest road schedule west of the Mississippi.

Colorado, California and ASU got nice wins for the PAC 12.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson