Medicinal Marijuana questions

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a longtime friend with a problem; he's an incomplete quad that is going to have to start taking Percocet regularly for at least a few months. He's concerned about the impact on his bowels (justifiably) so I suggested the possibility of smoking pot instead. It didn't take us long to rule that out as the last thing he needs is to damage what little lung function he still has. Anyway, that left us with the possibility of ingesting marijuana.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? What kind of impact does it have on the bowels, kidneys and bladder (or internal organs in general)? It's my understanding that it doesn't carry the same kind of problems as opioids and opiates do (they pretty much put your bowels to sleep) but I've heard mixed reviews. Any other long term problems that a quadriplegic might have to concern himself with if he decides to go this route?

Is the stuff you get at a legalized shop good enough to bake with? What experiences do people have using it as a pain reliever. I know from personal experience that marijuana works well for tramatic neuromas but I don't know if it's just as effective for other kinds of pain. And is it just as effective in baked form? What's a typical beginner's dose, in food form (brownie recipe maybe?). Lastly, is anyone familiar with the places to buy medicinal marijuana in the Vegas area?

Answers plus pros and cons to the idea itself would be appreciated.

Steve

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't speak to a lot of the issues you bring up but marijuana when baked, no pun intended, can be very effective.

I would suggest reaching out to Desertdawg he may be able to answer some of your questions.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I don't know the impact it has on internal organs from being ingested, not smoked, or if there is any. However, my wife, who fought breast cancer the majority of this year, uses it for medicinal purposes. I am sure the impact on her using it is far less than the chemo, radiation, and other meds has had on her though.

I think you would be amazed if you saw what is actually sold at the dispensaries and markets. I was when she started bringing home all sorts of stuff to see what helped and what didn't. Obviously you can get bud to smoke but there is anything from pre-rolled joints, cookies, candies, sodas, salsas, lotions, tinctures, oils, all sorts of other foods, plants, etc.

She was just in Vegas last week and had someone deliver her some to the hotel. Apparently, from what I've read Vegas is really making it difficult, or impossible, for actual dispensaries to open. So delivery is the only option at this point, I guess. Good luck to your friend. Those pills can be nasty. Good you guys are considering alternatives.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to a lot of the issues you bring up but marijuana when baked, no pun intended, can be very effective.

I would suggest reaching out to Desertdawg he may be able to answer some of your questions.

I'm sure he can offer some insights but I'm also looking for information from people that have used it occasionally, or perhaps, primarily for pain, if there are any here. I'm not sure the "stoner" crowd will have the same experiences as someone who's using if for pain relief. Although that does bring up another question. For the chronic users, does it lose much effectiveness over time?

Steve

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm sure he can offer some insights but I'm also looking for information from people that have used it occasionally, or perhaps, primarily for pain, if there are any here. I'm not sure the "stoner" crowd will have the same experiences as someone who's using if for pain relief. Although that does bring up another question. For the chronic users, does it lose much effectiveness over time?

Steve

Dismissing someone because of a preconceived notion is silly and your loss.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dismissing someone because of a preconceived notion is silly and your loss.

I must have worded my response poorly. I'm not dismissing anyone and certainly not DDawg. Some of the questions could best be answered by Desertdawg and the others who have a lot of experience with it. But I'm also looking for input from people that have used it for non-recreational purposes.

Steve

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the impact it has on internal organs from being ingested, not smoked, or if there is any. However, my wife, who fought breast cancer the majority of this year, uses it for medicinal purposes. I am sure the impact on her using it is far less than the chemo, radiation, and other meds has had on her though.

I think you would be amazed if you saw what is actually sold at the dispensaries and markets. I was when she started bringing home all sorts of stuff to see what helped and what didn't. Obviously you can get bud to smoke but there is anything from pre-rolled joints, cookies, candies, sodas, salsas, lotions, tinctures, oils, all sorts of other foods, plants, etc.

She was just in Vegas last week and had someone deliver her some to the hotel. Apparently, from what I've read Vegas is really making it difficult, or impossible, for actual dispensaries to open. So delivery is the only option at this point, I guess. Good luck to your friend. Those pills can be nasty. Good you guys are considering alternatives.

I had no idea it was available in so many forms, thanks for that. Best wishes for your wife. With all the other things going on for her she probably has little idea what issues were caused by what drugs but if she's aware of any "bathroom" related problems that she thinks might have been from marijuana I'd appreciate more info. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to discuss it but would rather it not be fully public.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a longtime friend with a problem; he's an incomplete quad that is going to have to start taking Percocet regularly for at least a few months. He's concerned about the impact on his bowels (justifiably) so I suggested the possibility of smoking pot instead. It didn't take us long to rule that out as the last thing he needs is to damage what little lung function he still has. Anyway, that left us with the possibility of ingesting marijuana.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? What kind of impact does it have on the bowels, kidneys and bladder (or internal organs in general)? It's my understanding that it doesn't carry the same kind of problems as opioids and opiates do (they pretty much put your bowels to sleep) but I've heard mixed reviews. Any other long term problems that a quadriplegic might have to concern himself with if he decides to go this route?

Is the stuff you get at a legalized shop good enough to bake with? What experiences do people have using it as a pain reliever. I know from personal experience that marijuana works well for tramatic neuromas but I don't know if it's just as effective for other kinds of pain. And is it just as effective in baked form? What's a typical beginner's dose, in food form (brownie recipe maybe?). Lastly, is anyone familiar with the places to buy medicinal marijuana in the Vegas area?

Answers plus pros and cons to the idea itself would be appreciated.

Steve

I must have worded my response poorly. I'm not dismissing anyone and certainly not DDawg. Some of the questions could best be answered by Desertdawg and the others who have a lot of experience with it. But I'm also looking for input from people that have used it for non-recreational purposes.

Steve

Us freedom fighters know more about it than anyone, the best route to go.

Ingestibles would be great for your friend. Absolutely you can cook with medical grade marijuana, tons of people do it. Youll want to get it into some good butter or oil though, not put pot in your food.

My brother has Chrons disease - pot helps him immensely. It helps him get hungry and hold food down better. Marijuana is a natural anti inflammatory so it helps your interior relax and process everything better.

Ill tell you, I do not buy the pain angle. Pain is still there and pot doesnt do a ton for that. It takes the edge off a bit but I have always smoked pot and when I have severe pain I still take a pain killer but for the stomach issues - it will work wonders. No one is aware of any long term ramifications at this time besides short term memory loss, happiness and enjoying terrible movies. Edibles will have far less negative effect than smoking but you can also vaporize with very little negative effect. You are not actually burning the pot, just heating it up so it releases thc and cannibinoids into a vapor. That is much easier than cooking IMO.

When ingesting marijuana it takes longer to work but lasts longer where vaporizing you will feel the benefit within 5-10 minutes. A big problem with edibles is that it is very hard to figure out the ddosage and get it right. Each different bud and each different plant has a different level of THC and cannabinoids. Too much puts you to sleep so its not like it is a big deal but when you are looking to get the right type of medication each time I would choose vaporizing over eating. After one vapor hjit and 5-10 mins go by if its not enough you just take another. Edibles you wont feel for 30-60 minutes.

Anyway, that is just the tip of the iceberg. If you wanna throw out the idea of stoners not knowing everything you need to know I am happy to take a phone call and provide all of the advice I can.

Bowles, kidney and bladder no bad sife effects are known, it should improve all of it though if there are issues there. IBS/chrons/irritable bowels are one of the main things medical marijuana helps with. Ive seen it first hand with my brother and nothing helps him more. It makes him eat, helps him ddigest and makes his bowels regular.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea it was available in so many forms, thanks for that. Best wishes for your wife. With all the other things going on for her she probably has little idea what issues were caused by what drugs but if she's aware of any "bathroom" related problems that she thinks might have been from marijuana I'd appreciate more info. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to discuss it but would rather it not be fully public.

Steve

There are a million ways to get it but the doses always vary, a lot of stuff is useless IMO (tinctures especially) unless you can afford to wait around and see if it works. I cannot recommend vaporizing enough as you get instant results and little to no lung damage at all.

Its pricy but the PAX vaporizer pen is the best on the market.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few quick googles

How can cannabis help relieve constipation?

Constipation of intestinal reflexes may be alleviated by the anti-emetic properties of cannabis. Relief of constipation was one of the original cannabis indications cited by Shen-Nung five thousand years ago. Virtually every historical medical reference since that time has included similar observations. On the other hand, opiates commonly cause very severe constipation..
Ingesting whole cannabis extract will relax your bowels. Smoking/Vaporizing cannabis will relax your bowels
“Smoking marijuana worked to produce an immediate result, usually in less than two minutes.”
“Hemp seed oil products mixed with herbal extracts are widely sold in China as laxatives.”
Around (2,300 B.C.) hemp was documented as a medicine. Emperor Shen Nung prescribed hemp for the treatment of constipation along with a long list of other ailments. In India, the ayurvedic physicians mix hemp leaves with milk, sugar and spices to treat constipation.
http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/expert/title.cfm?artID=136

Fact: Marijuana Treats Inflammatory Bowel Disease

San Francisco Gate·18 hours ago
New research published in the journal Inflammatory Bowel Disease backs up anecdotal evidence and the results of other clinical trials of cannabis for IBD ... a…

http://www.quickcare.org/gast/marijuana-and-ibs.html

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, that is just the tip of the iceberg. If you wanna throw out the idea of stoners not knowing everything you need to know I am happy to take a phone call and provide all of the advice I can.

I really need to work on my communication skills. At no time was I trying to direct this away from the people with heavy experience. I appreciate all the information and was expecting and hoping to hear from you, DesertDawg and the few others who have consistently acknowledged a close relationship with weed. But when O suggested I go to Dawg I wanted to make sure that the people with much less general experience with pot realized I wanted their opinions also - especially if they were coming at it from a pain relief standpoint. I stress the word also, and in fact, I included the word also when I responded to him. Somehow it ended up coming across differently than intended.

My friend has never done any kind of illegal drug and rarely even takes an aspirin. He's going to be restricted to laying face down for the next several months with only minimal trips to the bathroom. Constant use of a wheelchair since high school has caused his skin to break down and they have once again tried to surgically repair this problem for the umpteenth time. Unfortunately, it failed almost immediately. He ripped out the whole surgical fix two nights ago (less than a week after the operation) on one of his trips to the bathroom. It's far too early to repeat the surgery so he is going to be visited daily by a wound care nurse and he's just going to have to manage the pain somehow. I think he'd actually tolerate pot much better than taking Percocets every few hours but he has to be very careful.

I think ingesting it would work better for him than using a vaporizer. He's pretty paranoid about anything entering his lungs. Quads have so little lung power as it is and they are never more than a few steps away from pneumonia at any time. So if you have any suggestions on a recipe with a beginner level dosage I'd appreciate it.

As I mentioned, it's to replace continual use of Percocet so you can anticipate it's moderate to severe pain and fairly constant. When I have used it for pain relief in the past it worked quite well for me but in a different way than morphine. I would still be aware of the pain but it was like I was disconnected from it. My pain attacks range all the way from mild to very severe and it worked far better for me than any of the mid-strentgh Schedule II drugs. If it weren't for the fact that I was trying to function in a management position I would have continued smoking pot for relief instead of going down the morphine/percocet road which caused a lot more problems than it solved. I'm hoping to keep him off that road if it's feasible but if you're right and it doesn't do much for the pain, he'll have little choice.

Having written all this I realize it brings up another possibility, one that I think you were perhaps suggesting in your post. The Percocet will cause constipation of that there is no doubt. Does anyone have experience taking Oxycodone or the like while also smoking pot regularly? Are they a bad mix together, does pot reduce the effectiveness as alcohol seems to? Any scare stories? I know this is a question he'll have to take to his doctor but if you can't rely on the internets for sound medical advice it makes you wonder what this world is coming to.;)

Steve

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really need to work on my communication skills. At no time was I trying to direct this away from the people with heavy experience. I appreciate all the information and was expecting and hoping to hear from you, DesertDawg and the few others who have consistently acknowledged a close relationship with weed. But when O suggested I go to Dawg I wanted to make sure that the people with much less general experience with pot realized I wanted their opinions also - especially if they were coming at it from a pain relief standpoint. I stress the word also, and in fact, I included the word also when I responded to him. Somehow it ended up coming across differently than intended.

My friend has never done any kind of illegal drug and rarely even takes an aspirin. He's going to be restricted to laying face down for the next several months with only minimal trips to the bathroom. Constant use of a wheelchair since high school has caused his skin to break down and they have once again tried to surgically repair this problem for the umpteenth time. Unfortunately, it failed almost immediately. He ripped out the whole surgical fix two nights ago (less than a week after the operation) on one of his trips to the bathroom. It's far too early to repeat the surgery so he is going to be visited daily by a wound care nurse and he's just going to have to manage the pain somehow. I think he'd actually tolerate pot much better than taking Percocets every few hours but he has to be very careful.

I think ingesting it would work better for him than using a vaporizer. He's pretty paranoid about anything entering his lungs. Quads have so little lung power as it is and they are never more than a few steps away from pneumonia at any time. So if you have any suggestions on a recipe with a beginner level dosage I'd appreciate it.

As I mentioned, it's to replace continual use of Percocet so you can anticipate it's moderate to severe pain and fairly constant. When I have used it for pain relief in the past it worked quite well for me but in a different way than morphine. I would still be aware of the pain but it was like I was disconnected from it. My pain attacks range all the way from mild to very severe and it worked far better for me than any of the mid-strentgh Schedule II drugs. If it weren't for the fact that I was trying to function in a management position I would have continued smoking pot for relief instead of going down the morphine/percocet road which caused a lot more problems than it solved. I'm hoping to keep him off that road if it's feasible but if you're right and it doesn't do much for the pain, he'll have little choice.

Having written all this I realize it brings up another possibility, one that I think you were perhaps suggesting in your post. The Percocet will cause constipation of that there is no doubt. Does anyone have experience taking Oxycodone or the like while also smoking pot regularly? Are they a bad mix together, does pot reduce the effectiveness as alcohol seems to? Any scare stories? I know this is a question he'll have to take to his doctor but if you can't rely on the internets for sound medical advice it makes you wonder what this world is coming to.;)

Steve

t
o my knowledge there are little to no effect changes when mixing with a narcotic especially at low doses of cannibinoids. Google how to make cannabis butter, cook an eigth of the strongest marijuana you can find into it and make some treats. Start with small doses and if its not strong enough, just eat more. use a small butter recipe though if only cooking an eigth or youll end up with a ton of very weak butter vs a little strong butter. most recipes use very little butter so the stronger the better as you can just eat very little vs having to eat 5 brownies because its weak.

IE: MAcaroni and cheese takes like 1tbsp of butter so if you make an eigth into a cup of butter 1 tbsp wont be much cannabis

PS: I understood what you meant but Dogg seems like me where yes, I smoke and have smoked for a longggg time but im also a big advocate and studied/researched this kind of stuff for years. A lot of dispensaries you go in to simply have pot and dont offer a ton of solid advise where when you are dealing with a passionate stoner they typically know the ins and outs of everything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Us freedom fighters know more about it than anyone, the best route to go.

Ingestibles would be great for your friend. Absolutely you can cook with medical grade marijuana, tons of people do it. Youll want to get it into some good butter or oil though, not put pot in your food.

My brother has Crohns disease - pot helps him immensely. It helps him get hungry and hold food down better. Marijuana is a natural anti inflammatory so it helps your interior relax and process everything better.

Ill tell you, I do not buy the pain angle. Pain is still there and pot doesnt do a ton for that. It takes the edge off a bit but I have always smoked pot and when I have severe pain I still take a pain killer but for the stomach issues - it will work wonders. No one is aware of any long term ramifications at this time besides short term memory loss, happiness and enjoying terrible movies. Edibles will have far less negative effect than smoking but you can also vaporize with very little negative effect. You are not actually burning the pot, just heating it up so it releases thc and cannibinoids into a vapor. That is much easier than cooking IMO.

When ingesting marijuana it takes longer to work but lasts longer where vaporizing you will feel the benefit within 5-10 minutes. A big problem with edibles is that it is very hard to figure out the ddosage and get it right. Each different bud and each different plant has a different level of THC and cannabinoids. Too much puts you to sleep so its not like it is a big deal but when you are looking to get the right type of medication each time I would choose vaporizing over eating. After one vapor hjit and 5-10 mins go by if its not enough you just take another. Edibles you wont feel for 30-60 minutes.

Bowles, kidney and bladder no bad sife effects are known, it should improve all of it though if there are issues there. IBS/chrons/irritable bowels are one of the main things medical marijuana helps with. Ive seen it first hand with my brother and nothing helps him more. It makes him eat, helps him ddigest and makes his bowels regular.

This. I've smoked for over 30 years. I have colitis which is an IBD. When I first had the symptoms of cramping & what not in the bowel marijuana was the only thing that helped.

As far as baking it, brownies work extremely well. The butter brings out the THC & can give you better results than inhaling.

Reaction score

Steve

I have used both with no issues. I have several herniated discs in my lower back & have to take Percocet on occasion.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used both with no issues. I have several herniated discs in my lower back & have to take Percocet on occasion.

Do you feel you get much pain relief from the pot or just a general sense of ease? If you get relief, do you have to ingest/smoke higher dosages as time goes by?

Steve

Reaction score
Do you feel you get much pain relief from the pot or just a general sense of ease? If you get relief, do you have to ingest/smoke higher dosages as time goes by?

Steve

I really don't get any pain relief from pot. But it does help you relax & not focus on the pain so much.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Everything builds tolerance, over time if using excessively you would likely up your dosages but it wouldnt affect you differently health wise.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. It sounds to me like it might not be all that effective in relieving his type of pain but that he might benefit from using it in conjunction with Percocet.

Now, I'm giving thought to getting a prescription myself. As a disabled Vet I get everything free from the VA but unfortunately, they don't participate in medical marijuana even in states where it's legal so I guess I'll have to find an outside Doctor. I go through stretches where my pain isn't so bad but the last 11 months have been a real challenge. I'm back to using Oxycodone daily, only averaging about a dozen pills a day which is well below what I used to take, but it's causing me problems I'd rather do without. At least in my case, I know marijuana does provide some pain relief. Again, thanks for the help.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. It sounds to me like it might not be all that effective in relieving his type of pain but that he might benefit from using it in conjunction with Percocet.

Now, I'm giving thought to getting a prescription myself. As a disabled Vet I get everything free from the VA but unfortunately, they don't participate in medical marijuana even in states where it's legal so I guess I'll have to find an outside Doctor. I go through stretches where my pain isn't so bad but the last 11 months have been a real challenge. I'm back to using Oxycodone daily, only averaging about a dozen pills a day which is well below what I used to take, but it's causing me problems I'd rather do without. At least in my case, I know marijuana does provide some pain relief. Again, thanks for the help.

Steve

with the bolded section, it cant hurt to try the marijuana without the percocet and see what happens, if its not enough, take the percocet as well. At the very least when the two are mixed his bowels and etc will be more regular and in good shape vs without the marijuana.

As far as you and medical, make sure the VA is ok with you taking it and that it wont hurt the benefits they provide to you before you look further into it.

Reaction score

Steve

Good luck Steve. A dozen pills a day is a lot so hopefully MM will give you some relief where you don't have take as much Oxycodone. MM is said to work really well with PTSD not that you have that, just adding it to the convo.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck Steve. A dozen pills a day is a lot so hopefully MM will give you some relief where you don't have take as much Oxycodone. MM is said to work really well with PTSD not that you have that, just adding it to the convo.

I know it's a lot but for almost 15 years I took 600 pills a month plus an additional 6 to 8 bottles minimum (120 doses ea.) of liquid morphine for breakthrough pain. After awhile the Percocet (or morphine) stops being very effective and can even cause pain symptoms on it's own but you get so desperate for relief it just doesn't matter, you'll keep trying and trying despite the risks and the limited success. I just need a week or so of peace so I can start walking myself down and eventually back off of this drug but I haven't gone more than 12 hours without serious pain in quite some time. Eleven months with less than 2 hours of sleep in any one sleep session, I'm close to the desperation point.

Steve

Reaction score
I know it's a lot but for almost 15 years I took 600 pills a month plus an additional 6 to 8 bottles minimum (120 doses ea.) of liquid morphine for breakthrough pain. After awhile the Percocet (or morphine) stops being very effective and can even cause pain symptoms on it's own but you get so desperate for relief it just doesn't matter, you'll keep trying and trying despite the risks and the limited success. I just need a week or so of peace so I can start walking myself down and eventually back off of this drug but I haven't gone more than 12 hours without serious pain in quite some time. Eleven months with less than 2 hours of sleep in any one sleep session, I'm close to the desperation point.

Steve

Marijuana will definitely help with the sleep. Especially if you are not a regular user. I hope it gets better for you Steve.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marijuana will definitely help with the sleep. Especially if you are not a regular user. I hope it gets better for you Steve.

Thanks, I'm sure it will. It's a tough stretch but it won't last forever.

Steve

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In my opinion, if lung function is an issue, I'd only recommend smoking when the results are needed immediatly. And if the patient is already used to proscribed pills, than the "edibles" usually tend to kick in around the same time as the "pharmies".

Edibles can be as simple a s the old school brownies, or as intense as a well planned diet. The type of plant material it's self, and when it's harvested comes into play. Between you and I a lot of edibles are made by well intentioned hippie chefs that know a grower/s and they use the leaves from the plants, be it in door or out door. The leaves contain the least amount of THC, but when double boiled down long enough in large amounts in per say butter.... it does wonders.

There are other more potent and purer forms of extract that can be used in edibles like the hash and wax or BHO concentrates. These are what I'd consider the heavier medications, the plant matter usually switches from leaf to flower, and that jumps the THC/CBD count up.

When smoking, it is much easier to strain chase, or search for the desired affect. Some clubs don't list which type of cannabis is in that brownie. Some chefs mix all the leaves in from different strains, or even flowers.

The one thing you don't want to do is eat too much on the first go, it can really be too much for a non smoker. That's why you can't give a hot shot who knows what's it in it hippie brownie to a patient that isn't looking to party. Well I should pass this, feel like it's been in my lips for a second now. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard