Markieff Morris is now a SUN

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Especially since there is no way this team even gets into the playoffs if Markieff Morris plays major minutes.

It might very well be an Earl Clark situation over and over again where Morris won't even get a chance to get better through playing time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It might very well be an Earl Clark situation over and over again where Morris won't even get a chance to get better through playing time.

Right, the Magic sure did reveal the Suns' blunder there, didn't they?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Does Tristan Thompson going to CLE mean that Hickson could be had? We need a starting 2 in a MAJOR way, but getting Hickson would add some good frontline depth and athleticism.

I don't think so. Thompson is probably too green to start and play 30 min a game. I see Cleveland making some trades, but more likely Vareajo (sp?) to a contender/playoff team. Cavs are going to still be pretty bad next year unless they pull of some amazing deal for more veteran talent.

Never know, though. Blanks has Cavs connections, so maybe he sees Hickson as a future star.

I can see the Suns going all out for a starting 2 guard, using Lopez, Pietrus, Brooks, etc. Maybe through FA, but not sure they can get someone good enough using that route.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Right, the Magic sure did reveal the Suns' blunder there, didn't they?

Yes they did because Clark actually played well for them when he got minutes and they want to re-sign him.
That is after sitting 2 years on the bench without any game experience.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no he's not.

Amare kind of atlethism? NO, but how can you say he is not an athletic big man.

Video
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Markieff-Morris-Video-Breakdown-3738/

The Sixers were so close to having the steal of the draft.
Had Philadelphia landed Markieff Morris, the athletic big man out of Kansas, it would have been a major coup for the Sixers, who could have developed his raw offensive game under the tutelage of an Elton Brand, who would have helped get the most out of Morris' gifts.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rst-round-picks-76ers-take-donatas-motiejunas

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what is up with Suns fans these days? Are we that beaten down by this last year?

Crimmy - whatever the Suns do, the haters come to play.

Keep a pick? Hate it. Trade a pick? Hate it. Make a trade? Hate it. Don't make a trade? Hate it.

SMH at so much hate for a team you claim to like. If it's that bad, pick another team to root for and follow.

a) screw you. I'm sorry if us sucking and looking at a continual future of sucking shouldn't mean Suns fans shouldn't expect better.

The Suns are not as bad a team as so many here seem to think.

they finished 6 GAMES out of the playoffs and the last two seasons where there was no Amare or 1/2 season of Amare we were a lottery team... oh... and now we're just two years older. Yeah, we ARE as bad as we think we are... which is a 35-41 win team stuck in perpetual mediocrity. That's the WORST place to be in the NBA.

A couple good pieces (and I think Markieff Morris is one), and they are back in the playoffs.

a) I don't think he is

b) how are they gonna get that other "good piece"

c) they're back in the playoffs... to what end? get killed as an 8 seed? yipee!

Are they going to win a title? Not without some amazing trade. But they can continue to be competative and play good pro ball. That's better than more than half the teams in the league can say each year.

jesus... this sounds just like the idiots the Suns have speaking for them. Now, one of the premiere franchises should be happy that they in the top half of the league? Good grief... how the somewhat mighty have fallen.

Do you really want the Suns to become the Twolves? Or the Bobcats? Ugh. Draft night is the one exciting time ALL YEAR for fans of those teams, because of how badly they stink.

crimney... at least they have that. There wasn't ONE EXCITING TIME ALL SEASON THIS YEAR for this go nowhere, do nothing, aging non-playoff team.

And while I'm ranting, what's up with all the hate on Nash and Hill?

no one's hating on those guys. They're pretty much universally loved which is WHY people don't want to see their talents WASTED on this team. i want those guys to have a chance to win and win big and there is no possible way for that to happen here.

Heaven forbid we have rock solid veterans leading this team.

leading them to... what? the only place they can unfortunately lead us is to mediocrity. that's not their fault... it's the FO's but nothing can change that because we don't have cap room, nor do we have assets to make the team better.

Those guys are legends and still playing at very high levels, yet some on this board would trade them for a pack of chewing gum and some And1 mixtape youtube stars. Please.

I don't understand how so many suns fans can be so ridiculously dense. they want to trade those guys because they want them to end their careers with a chance to win SOMETHING. That's why these guys play the game. We don't want to watch them wither away on mediocre teams and thus think a parting of the ways benefits everyone. it allows the team to start rebuilding in earnest and it allows those guys to win.

Have some hope and faith, folks. It's not all doom and gloom. The team will be good next season (whenever that happens to be).

i think everything about this last sentence is wrong. We're old... we don't have one proven wing scorer... and we have no low post-presence on offense... and we have no shooting guard and our PF isn't a very good defender.

oh yeah... and we finished 6 games out of the playoffs... not first place... 8TH.

you need to open your eyes dude because all of the above tells me you're dreaming.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
why? so they can maybe eek into the playoffs as an 8 seed and get crushed?

When are people going to realize that there is no "now" with this team?

LOL. Ah yes, the highly rational "we can't win a title this instant so blow it all up" argument.

There is something to be said for playing competitive, winning basketball and seeing what happens. Who figured the Suns would make the WCF and push the Lakers in 2010? Most didn't think we'd make the playoffs, and were calling to blow up the team back then. Cause, you know, Nash was too old and breaking down in 2009 and Hill was a washed up vet with bad ankles.

Besides, you think the fan base is this cranky after a mediocre non-playoff season? Imagine if we become a perpetual lottery team. The crank level will be off the charts.

Look - at some point Nash will be too old, and either leave or retire. Until then, he's one of the best in the game. Talent and the right mix win in the NBA. You build around what you get among the limited uber-talent in the league.

When the time comes that Nash hangs it up, then you rebuild. And you hope like heck it's in a good draft year, which this was not.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Especially since there is no way this team even gets into the playoffs if Markieff Morris plays major minutes.

Right. Since the FO has made it clear they want to see Markieff in the rotation next year getting playing time. It's exactly like the Earl Clark situation. :rolleyes:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The moment Biyombo left the board I would've traded the pick for the first team that offered me a future second rounder. Trade down to the 20s and take a good reach there. Just because you have the #13 pick doesn't mean you have to draft there. There wasn't #13 value on the board. You trade it away and go get a Euroepean center you can stash away (especially with the lockout right around the corner).
I 100% agree,but i won't discount the Markieff pick just yet. I like some of the things i've seen from him in my very limited time of watching him work.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Yes they did because Clark actually played well for them when he got minutes and they want to re-sign him.
That is after sitting 2 years on the bench without any game experience.

Betcha Earl never becomes a starter or plays major minutes while the Magic are a playoff team.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
a) screw you. I'm sorry if us sucking and looking at a continual future of sucking shouldn't mean Suns fans shouldn't expect better.

they finished 6 GAMES out of the playoffs and the last two seasons where there was no Amare or 1/2 season of Amare we were a lottery team... oh... and now we're just two years older. Yeah, we ARE as bad as we think we are... which is a 35-41 win team stuck in perpetual mediocrity. That's the WORST place to be in the NBA.

a) I don't think he is

jesus... this sounds just like the idiots the Suns have speaking for them. Now, one of the premiere franchises should be happy that they in the top half of the league? Good grief... how the somewhat mighty have fallen.

crimney... at least they have that. There wasn't ONE EXCITING TIME ALL SEASON THIS YEAR for this go nowhere, do nothing, aging non-playoff team.

no one's hating on those guys. They're pretty much universally loved which is WHY people don't want to see their talents WASTED on this team. i want those guys to have a chance to win and win big and there is no possible way for that to happen here.

leading them to... what? the only place they can unfortunately lead us is to mediocrity. that's not their fault... it's the FO's but nothing can change that because we don't have cap room, nor do we have assets to make the team better.

I don't understand how so many suns fans can be so ridiculously dense. they want to trade those guys because they want them to end their careers with a chance to win SOMETHING. That's why these guys play the game. We don't want to watch them wither away on mediocre teams and thus think a parting of the ways benefits everyone. it allows the team to start rebuilding in earnest and it allows those guys to win.

i think everything about this last sentence is wrong. We're old... we don't have one proven wing scorer... and we have no low post-presence on offense... and we have no shooting guard and our PF isn't a very good defender.

oh yeah... and we finished 6 games out of the playoffs... not first place... 8TH.

you need to open your eyes dude because all of the above tells me you're dreaming.

Wow. Nice post there, 'dude'. I must have hit a nerve.

You start off with a 'screw you', insinuate that I'm not a fan, and call me delusional. All because I see the glass as a little less than half full, rather than mostly empty and full of piss and vinegar.

Stay classy.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would argue that most of the players at that pick were backup type players or players that were not going to be high impact. So...what difference does it make? He was still one of the best defensive players left on the board. Knowing the Suns don't need offensive minded guys....what else was there?

This team gets nowhere by drafting offensive minded guys with no defensive skills. I think we all agree he is probably not a game changer but nobody around that pick was either.

I agree. I like the pick. We'll see how it turns out, but I am glad they drafted the best/ most physical defender/ rebounder. :)
+1
It might have been a smarter and more logical thing for the SUNS to trade out....but i admire them for putting some value and pulling the trigger on the skills that this kid brings to the table.

Slightly OT: I've always felt that its easier to coach a young defensive-minded player how to find little ways to score and contribute offensively.... rather than teaching a young offensive-minded kid how to play on the other end. Just my opinion of course...based soley on my past experience teaching on the playgrounds LOL. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice post there, 'dude'. I must have hit a nerve.

You start off with a 'screw you',

damn right i did... you go on a paragraph rant like the below when you rip a bunch of suns fans, question their fandom then tell them to get lost, i think SCREW YOU is pretty justified. Or are you gonna tell me the below wasn't written to rip on Suns fans, question their fandom and tell them to find a new team?

"And what is up with Suns fans these days? Are we that beaten down by this last year?

Crimmy - whatever the Suns do, the haters come to play.

Keep a pick? Hate it. Trade a pick? Hate it. Make a trade? Hate it. Don't make a trade? Hate it.

SMH at so much hate for a team you claim to like. If it's that bad, pick another team to root for and follow."

you first insinuate us Suns fans DON'T like this team... then tell us to get lost if they don't like what's going on with this team... then you should expect someone to reply with SCREW YOU. I mean, who are YOU to question my fandom and tell me to find a new team just because I don't like what's going on with mine?

insinuate that I'm not a fan,

a) please show me where I did this.

b) this is rich coming from the guy who in the post I responded to questioned unhappy Suns fans fandom and then told them TO FIND A NEW TEAM.

Seriously... do you not see the reason a suns fan would say SCREW YOU to a guy who questions your fandom and then tells you to get lost?

and call me delusional.

i said you were dreaming... and i stick by it. but I'd never question you as a fan or tell you to go find another team.

that apparently is your job... while "staying classy."

jesus, what a hypocrite.

you put garbage like "go find another team" out there and you're gonna get garbage like "screw you" back. what goes around comes around.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

a) I don't think he is

You must be registered for see images attach
:grabs: Cheese,sometimes i truly believe that the Planet Orange fans are running the show in downtown PHX anymore....mind boggling.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
:grabs: Cheese,sometimes i truly believe that the Planet Orange fans are running the show in downtown PHX anymore....mind boggling.

the best thing is the guy's calling me out on my lack of class... after he just called out a bunch of fans love for the team and then told them to find another one.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the best thing is the guy's calling me out on my lack of class... after he just called out a bunch of fans love for the team and then told them to find another one.
Yeah,somehow he missed that little jab....then got butthurt when you gave it back. :shrug:

I can admire loyalty from a fan....but blind loyalty just doesn't compute with me.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I don't think so. Thompson is probably too green to start and play 30 min a game. I see Cleveland making some trades, but more likely Vareajo (sp?) to a contender/playoff team. Cavs are going to still be pretty bad next year unless they pull of some amazing deal for more veteran talent.

Never know, though. Blanks has Cavs connections, so maybe he sees Hickson as a future star.

I can see the Suns going all out for a starting 2 guard, using Lopez, Pietrus, Brooks, etc. Maybe through FA, but not sure they can get someone good enough using that route.

There's gotta be a way to get a young 2 with the assets we do have. BTW, I'll flip the f*ck out if they trade future UNPROTECTED picks to get a 2. Anyway, there's Aflalo (DEN) and Young (WAS) who could come in and give a steady 13-14 ppg. If we went that route, our top six players (possibly 7) could average 12-15 ppg each. That's roughly 94.5ppg as a team, but add in 8ppg from our 8-10 rotation and we crack the 100ppg mark.

Think Nash-Aflalo-Hill-Morris-Gortat with Frye-Dudley-Brooks-Warrick-Pietrus-Childress.

I suppose that lineup assumes getting Aflalo (or Young) with the MLE. That does not account for a trade, although we could use Lopez, Carter, Pietrus, or Brooks in some combination to get one of those (Aflalo or Young) or to get a higher paid, more dynamic 2 (Iguodala?).

Bottom line, there's a way to make a competitive team, but there ain't a chance in hell to make a contender.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,somehow he missed that little jab....then got butthurt when you gave it back. :shrug:

I can admire loyalty from a fan....but blind loyalty just doesn't compute with me.

you know what? i don't even begrudge blind loyalty. hell... i wish i had it. would probably make sports more enjoyable to me. but i do begrudge another fan telling me I should go find a new team, then being indignant when i tell him he can shove his advice back up his ass. that has nothing to do with fandom... that's just calling someone out after they've acted like a jerk.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please give me a site where they say he's a good defender.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/705328-2011-nba-mock-draft-best-picks-and-biggest-fails-from-chad-fords-latest-mock/entry/84277-2011-nba-mock-draft-ford-picks-markieff-morris-to-the-philadelphia-76ers-at-16

Morris has a rep as a good defender, shot-blocker and rebounder

http://www.mockdraftmania.com/20110616-markieff-morris-scouting-report/

Physical Ability: Markieff Morris has good physical ability as a defender.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2011/Markieff-Morris

Markieff was more of the defensive anchor down low

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/markieff_morris_scouting_report/5085640

Markieff Morris has good physical ability as a defender.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...morris-a-better-draft-option-than-his-brother

Markieff has been a great defender and rebounder for the Kansas Jayhawks during their NCAA Championship run.

http://www.usasportsbettingguide.com/scouting-report-markieff-morris.html

Morris a solid post defender uses his lower body and force the players out of the blocks and he has decent footwork he has to the awareness of the players he guarded and their tendencies

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?sl...7_nba-draft-profile-markieff-morris-pf-kansas

Scouts know that if they are looking for a pure post player who can rebound or play stellar defense, that Markieff might be the best NBA-ready option.

Last edited:

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
damn right i did... you go on a paragraph rant like the below when you rip a bunch of suns fans, question their fandom then tell them to get lost, i think SCREW YOU is pretty justified. Or are you gonna tell me the below wasn't written to rip on Suns fans, question their fandom and tell them to find a new team?

you first insinuate us Suns fans DON'T like this team... then tell us to get lost if they don't like what's going on with this team... then you should expect someone to reply with SCREW YOU. I mean, who are YOU to question my fandom and tell me to find a new team just because I don't like what's going on with mine?

a) please show me where I did this.

b) this is rich coming from the guy who in the post I responded to questioned unhappy Suns fans fandom and then told them TO FIND A NEW TEAM.

Seriously... do you not see the reason a suns fan would say SCREW YOU to a guy who questions your fandom and then tells you to get lost?

i said you were dreaming... and i stick by it. but I'd never question you as a fan or tell you to go find another team.

that apparently is your job... while "staying classy."

jesus, what a hypocrite.

you put garbage like "go find another team" out there and you're gonna get garbage like "screw you" back. what goes around comes around.

Well, either there is a reading comprehension problem here, or I was not being very clear. I'll assume the latter and try again.

My first point was not to say fans cannot be critical of the team or the moves they make. I was bitching about folks who hate EVERYTHING the team does, regardless of what it is. I see a team at least trying to get better (hell, they made a draft pick rather than selling it for $3m bucks), even if it doesn't met fans expectations for acceptable moves.

My second point was to say that the Suns are not that far away from being a playoff team again, and that Nash/Hill are part of that equation and should not be traded for peanuts as some folks seem to want.

Oh, and are there mods anymore on this board? I'm not sure your personal attacks back at me, while amusing, are justified. Can we all tell each other to screw off here now? If so, that might change how some of us post. ;)

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score

Like I said in the other post, either reading comprehension or I wasn't clear. Your overreaction, though, says more than I ever can in response.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
If Morris can find a level between Kurt Thomas and Horace Grant, we'll all be happy for a long time. Let Gortat be our frontcourt star and Morris be the grunt guy in the background. All I would like out of Morris is 13/9 with some defense. Thomas, Grant, Otis Thorpe, Buck Williams. Those kind of players provide the template Morris should copy.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

Cheese, I don't believe we normally see eye-to-eye on much - but this post was SPOT ON!

Questioning the decision making and future plan of this organization is more than justified at this point. And doing so shouldn't mandate the recension of a "fan" card.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
There's gotta be a way to get a young 2 with the assets we do have. BTW, I'll flip the f*ck out if they trade future UNPROTECTED picks to get a 2. Anyway, there's Aflalo (DEN) and Young (WAS) who could come in and give a steady 13-14 ppg. If we went that route, our top six players (possibly 7) could average 12-15 ppg each. That's roughly 94.5ppg as a team, but add in 8ppg from our 8-10 rotation and we crack the 100ppg mark.

Think Nash-Aflalo-Hill-Morris-Gortat with Frye-Dudley-Brooks-Warrick-Pietrus-Childress.

I suppose that lineup assumes getting Aflalo (or Young) with the MLE. That does not account for a trade, although we could use Lopez, Carter, Pietrus, or Brooks in some combination to get one of those (Aflalo or Young) or to get a higher paid, more dynamic 2 (Iguodala?).

Bottom line, there's a way to make a competitive team, but there ain't a chance in hell to make a contender.

Agreed on no unprotected picks, come hell or high water. And on the ideas for some players that would work at the 2. I do figure Fyre would start until they see what Morris can do, though.

And yeah, competitive, but no contender. That's what they seem to be going for at this point. It's better than being a perennial lottery team each year, but I wish Sarver were Mark Cuban.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn