Markieff Morris is now a SUN

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And let me add people went into this draft knowing it was one of the weakest in history, with not much separating late lottery to early second round. The value -- and the chance of bust -- is about the same.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would be going out on a limb to say the # of players drafted in those positions that amounted to nothing in the NBA outweigh the number of players that turned into Ellis and Lewis.

But if you're drafting #13 and you have the same kind of bust factor, what's the point of drafting #13?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if you're drafting #13 and you have the same kind of bust factor, what's the point of drafting #13?

IMO the odds of a lottery player having an impact are still higher no matter how slight. If you decided your going to draft in this weak draft you play the odds.

I think there are very few players at the latter part of this draft that will still be on an NBA team 5 years from now.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO the odds of a lottery player having an impact are still higher no matter how slight. If you decided your going to draft in this weak draft you play the odds.

I think there are very few players at the latter part of this draft that will still be on an NBA team 5 years from now.

I would speculate you could say that about the entire draft. And only the Suns had Markieff Morris rated as a lottery pick.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would speculate you could say that about the entire draft. And only the Suns had Markieff Morris rated as a lottery pick.

There is speculation that Houston was taking whichever brother we didn't take. He was projected as a possible lottery pick on most sites I read..although at the end.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hope there aren't any twins in next year's NBA draft.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We've said it alot before, but he may be a 'majerle' type hate on draft day player. Or he could suck. I can see some potential. Whether it is realized who knows?? 'Majer'-keif or marqueef? we'll see.

Given our recent luck during the first round, I think he's more "Marqueef."

I dont see how he's any better than Hakim Warrick to be honest. He'll crack the rotation most likely but that's it

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can only trade out of the 13th pick if someone wants to trade into the 13th pick. I doubt anybody was willing to do much of anything to move up in this draft.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
the 2nd round is historically a grave yard of talent .... very few make it out of there, teh further you go down in the draft your odds of getting a player shrink vastly

if you had that much confidence in a prospect or a stash, just grab them at 13 ... with the salary structure it's not that big of a deal when you are picking in that range anyway

there may be 1 or 2 guys who turn into players each year in the 2nd round

just look at past drafts - the last two are a little harder to gauge, but in my estimation here are the guys who had some impact on the league ... i'm sure I missed a couple, but doubt anyone notable

2000 - marko jaric, eddie house, michael redd, bryan cardinal, eduardo najera
2001 - gilbert arenas, brian scalabrine, trenton hassell, memo okur,
2002 - dan gadzuric, carlos boozer, flip murray, matt barnes, luis scola, rasual butler
2003 - jason kapono, luke walton, zaza pachulia, matt bonner, james jones
2004 - anderson varejao, royal ivey, chris duhon, trevor ariza,
2005 - ronny turiaf, monta ellis, amir johnson, marcin gortat, louis williams
2006 - daniel gibson, leon powe, paul millsap
2007 - carl landry, glenn davis, josh mcroberts, ramon sessions, marc gasol
2008 - mario chalmers, nikola pekovic, goran dragic, deandre jordan,
2009 - dejuan blair, chase budinger, jermaine taylor, etc
2010 - ????

Not exactly guys who are unique or amazing

the NBA loses value very quickly the further down the chart you go .... some do better than others .... although looking at it, that 12-16 range has been a bit of a graveyard over the same time frame

so who knows .... maybe teams that are bad enough to pick high get rewarded with the top level talent ... teams that are good enough to make the playoffs have better scouting/evaluation/development so they have some success towards the end of the 1st

teams that are on the mediocre side just kind of float and burn picks each year

so maybe trade away everything, draft 3-4 second round guys and hope one of them sticks...................... spaghetti method (of if your KAHN! you do that with PGs and high first rounders.....)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
You can only trade out of the 13th pick if someone wants to trade into the 13th pick. I doubt anybody was willing to do much of anything to move up in this draft.

that's the other aspect of it ...... who were people dying to get

this isn't the NFL with big contracts and signing bonuses or guys who fit what you do in later rounds or where you are filling out large rosters

on any given night between 8-10 dudes hit the floor per team .... the salary between 13 & 23 isn't anyting serious .... granted, when you hit the 2nd round it's all pretty much no risk/obligation

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
do we have any idea if the Phoenix Suns even had a chance to trade that draft pick? I mean people just assume that it was possible to trade down and that the Phoenix Suns made no attempt to do so.

Joe

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do we have any idea if the Phoenix Suns even had a chance to trade that draft pick? I mean people just assume that it was possible to trade down and that the Phoenix Suns made no attempt to do so.

We know they weren't looking to trade down. They were happy with their pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would argue that most of the players at that pick were backup type players or players that were not going to be high impact. So...what difference does it make? He was still one of the best defensive players left on the board. Knowing the Suns don't need offensive minded guys....what else was there?

This team gets nowhere by drafting offensive minded guys with no defensive skills. I think we all agree he is probably not a game changer but nobody around that pick was either.

Please give me a site where they say he's a good defender. I am not being snide, I am being serious. I haven't read that in any scouting report or profile. I've repeatedly read he's a banger and tougher than his brother, but tougher than his brother doesn't mean good defender. Neither is the fact that he's a banger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. I like the pick. We'll see how it turns out, but I am glad they drafted the best/ most physical defender/ rebounder. :)

Where the he'll is this best defender stuff coming from?!? Singleton was the best defender.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks will complain whatever the FO do.
Dude is athletic, he can bang, he can shoot. he improved his shooting and rebounding % each of the 3 years he was in college. Hopefully he continues to develop.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
On the ESPN coverage Stu Scott said that we got the "lackadaisical" one. That doesn't sound good.

If he is at best a backup, why not get Faried? the non-stop rebounding machine from Murray State.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't start crouching into the shape of a 5'10" guard like Rolo..

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I'm fine with the pick for a couple of reasons. It's not sexy, but is very practical if the Suns are keeping Nash/Hill/Gortat and trying to make the playoffs next year.

First, this draft is weak on top-end talent. Full of 20 or so good future role players. In that situation, you match talents with needs. If you noticed, a lot of teams were doing this throughout the night. Suns picked the right role player to fill their PF needs. Simple as that. I'm not crazy about the Morris brothers or the Kansas system, but Markieff is a legit, rebounding 4 man in the NBA with a sold outside shot.

Second, he is very, very efficient on the boards, scoring near the hoop and with the 3pt shot. This is important, cause he should be able to contribute in limited minutes off the bench.

Player effienceny appears to be a big deal for the Suns system, especially given how they like to play the mismatches with opposing teams. To get on the floor, a player has to contribute quickly when in the game and in the right ways for the system. That's why guys with raw talent never get to play much (Clark comes to mind). Morris will play. Whatever the Suns do with Lopez this summer, Morris should get some burn off the bench right away either as the stretch 4 next to Gortat, or down low with Frye.

Finally, he's a little older and is NBA ready right now. Tristan Thompson has more upside (clearly, with him going at 4 to the Cavs), but he will take a little longer. Might be better than Morris down the road, but Suns need contributions now.

I think he'll be a solid backup PF in the league for a long time, and probably a solid starter on a good team down the road. Probably not an allstar, but Suns were not getting that in this draft without giving up talent they cannot afford to give up (Gortat, Nash, etc).

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Does Tristan Thompson going to CLE mean that Hickson could be had? We need a starting 2 in a MAJOR way, but getting Hickson would add some good frontline depth and athleticism.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
And what is up with Suns fans these days? Are we that beaten down by this last year?

Crimmy - whatever the Suns do, the haters come to play.

Keep a pick? Hate it. Trade a pick? Hate it. Make a trade? Hate it. Don't make a trade? Hate it.

SMH at so much hate for a team you claim to like. If it's that bad, pick another team to root for and follow.

The Suns are not as bad a team as so many here seem to think. A couple good pieces (and I think Markieff Morris is one), and they are back in the playoffs. Are they going to win a title? Not without some amazing trade. But they can continue to be competative and play good pro ball. That's better than more than half the teams in the league can say each year.

Do you really want the Suns to become the Twolves? Or the Bobcats? Ugh. Draft night is the one exciting time ALL YEAR for fans of those teams, because of how badly they stink.

And while I'm ranting, what's up with all the hate on Nash and Hill? Heaven forbid we have rock solid veterans leading this team. Those guys are legends and still playing at very high levels, yet some on this board would trade them for a pack of chewing gum and some And1 mixtape youtube stars. Please.

Have some hope and faith, folks. It's not all doom and gloom. The team will be good next season (whenever that happens to be).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with the pick for a couple of reasons. It's not sexy, but is very practical if the Suns are keeping Nash/Hill/Gortat and trying to make the playoffs next year.

First, this draft is weak on top-end talent. Full of 20 or so good future role players. In that situation, you match talents with needs. If you noticed, a lot of teams were doing this throughout the night. Suns picked the right role player to fill their PF needs. Simple as that. I'm not crazy about the Morris brothers or the Kansas system, but Markieff is a legit, rebounding 4 man in the NBA with a sold outside shot.

Second, he is very, very efficient on the boards, scoring near the hoop and with the 3pt shot. This is important, cause he should be able to contribute in limited minutes off the bench.

Player effienceny appears to be a big deal for the Suns system, especially given how they like to play the mismatches with opposing teams. To get on the floor, a player has to contribute quickly when in the game and in the right ways for the system. That's why guys with raw talent never get to play much (Clark comes to mind). Morris will play. Whatever the Suns do with Lopez this summer, Morris should get some burn off the bench right away either as the stretch 4 next to Gortat, or down low with Frye.

Finally, he's a little older and is NBA ready right now. Tristan Thompson has more upside (clearly, with him going at 4 to the Cavs), but he will take a little longer. Might be better than Morris down the road, but Suns need contributions now.

why? so they can maybe eek into the playoffs as an 8 seed and get crushed?

When are people going to realize that there is no "now" with this team?