Mark Asher fired at KTAR

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If anyone else happened to be in the NYC listening area in the 90's and early 2000's, you then knew how blessed you were to have access to the original, founding father of sports talk/call-in radio shows - WFAN - The Fan.
Tim Sullivan just released his long-awaited book entitled: IMUS, Mike & The Mad Dog and Doris from Rego Park: The Groundbreaking History of WFAN.

"A behind-the-scenes look at the most powerful voices on New York’s AM dial, this is the all-encompassing history of WFAN. Created in 1987, WFAN was the nation’s first 24-hour, all sports radio station and this work recounts how, a quarter-century later, it is the highest-rated station in New York and the home to many unforgettable radio personalities past or present, including Don Imus, Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, Mike Francesa, and Boomer Esiason. Seasoned journalist Tim Sullivan provides an account that soaks itself in the history, impact, egos, fans, and all the controversies of WFAN, making it an enthralling read for any sports fan."

The Fan got me to work and back home for nearly 20 years... It is truly the standard that ALL sports talk shows are measured by... and rightly so. ;)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chuck & Vince are filling in today for Doug and Wolf.

Too bad it's not permanent!

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone else happened to be in the NYC listening area in the 90's and early 2000's, you then knew how blessed you were to have access to the original, founding father of sports talk/call-in radio shows - WFAN - The Fan.
Tim Sullivan just released his long-awaited book entitled: IMUS, Mike & The Mad Dog and Doris from Rego Park: The Groundbreaking History of WFAN.

"A behind-the-scenes look at the most powerful voices on New York’s AM dial, this is the all-encompassing history of WFAN. Created in 1987, WFAN was the nation’s first 24-hour, all sports radio station and this work recounts how, a quarter-century later, it is the highest-rated station in New York and the home to many unforgettable radio personalities past or present, including Don Imus, Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, Mike Francesa, and Boomer Esiason. Seasoned journalist Tim Sullivan provides an account that soaks itself in the history, impact, egos, fans, and all the controversies of WFAN, making it an enthralling read for any sports fan."

The Fan got me to work and back home for nearly 20 years... It is truly the standard that ALL sports talk shows are measured by... and rightly so. ;)

Used to love the FAN back when Mike and Mad Dog were together, they had great rapport. I used to love when Mad Dog would get under Mike's skin, I always found him so arrogant. Now with Mad Dog gone I dont listen to Mike very much at all, his condescending and arrogant demeanor turned me off.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anyone else happened to be in the NYC listening area in the 90's and early 2000's, you then knew how blessed you were to have access to the original, founding father of sports talk/call-in radio shows - WFAN - The Fan...The Fan got me to work and back home for nearly 20 years... It is truly the standard that ALL sports talk shows are measured by... and rightly so. ;)
I remember when it launched - on the low-powered former WHN (then WMGM; then whatever) at 1050 on the AM dial. It kept me company on one epic journey driving back north (in a pounding rainstorm) - early from a Baltimore family visit because I had a ticket to a Met-StL Cardinal game (the weekend after Pendleton hit the Friday home run to keep us in playoff contention).

The WFAN signal kept fading in and out until about Exit 8 on the Turnpike. As soon as I got home, I got thru to late-night DJ Steve Somers on the air by phone and asked him: "Given the rotten weather, if you were me, would you bother to attend the game?" His answer was that indeed he would, and indeed I did. (The afternoon game was delayed until 8 pm, but - protected from the rain under an overhang in the stands - I got to catch an AZ Cardinal game - It could have been via tv, but I don't think the Watchman had been invented yet - more likely it was via portable radio).

Many months later -driving to a client, - I got to hear the official change-over of WFAN from 1050 AM to the powerful clear channel signal at 660 AM that used to be WNBC's. A tiny sliver of personal sports-radio history. (I wonder whatever happened to "Ely from Westchester").

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, fyi Ely from Westchester was a former great Tuckahoe HS tackle by the name of Eli Strang. He went on to play DT for Iowa State and for a couple of years (I believe) for the GB Packers. He was an outspoken defender of black athletes, and while I'm not sure I think he's still alive. Would probably be close to 70 (I'm guessing). And speaking of sports radio in NY, you can't forget Bill Mazur, who came before the all sports format, but after Stan Lomax and about the same time as Bob Wolf, but nonetheless helped pave the way for the FAN.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff, fyi Ely from Westchester was a former great Tuckahoe HS tackle by the name of Eli Strang. He went on to play DT for Iowa State and for a couple of years (I believe) for the GB Packers. He was an outspoken defender of black athletes, and while I'm not sure I think he's still alive. Would probably be close to 70 (I'm guessing). And speaking of sports radio in NY, you can't forget Bill Mazur, who came before the all sports format, but after Stan Lomax and about the same time as Bob Wolf, but nonetheless helped pave the way for the FAN.
Tuckahoe had a high school? I didn't realize the town was big enough. I remember that, the Edgemont school district in Scarsdale sent its kids to Bronxville HS until Edgemont built a school of its own.

I do remember (with much fondness) Bill Mazur.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, Tuckahoe was and is a village, as is Bronxville. Both are in the Town of Eastchester. For what it's worth, the town has three separate school systems, three police forces, but one fire department. In a couple of years the town (Eastchester) will be 350 years old. And it's claim to fame is that it's the birthplace of the Bill of Rights.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Used to love the FAN back when Mike and Mad Dog were together, they had great rapport. I used to love when Mad Dog would get under Mike's skin, I always found him so arrogant. Now with Mad Dog gone I dont listen to Mike very much at all, his condescending and arrogant demeanor turned me off.

I remember when it launched - on the low-powered former WHN (then WMGM; then whatever) at 1050 on the AM dial. It kept me company on one epic journey driving back north (in a pounding rainstorm) - early from a Baltimore family visit because I had a ticket to a Met-StL Cardinal game (the weekend after Pendleton hit the Friday home run to keep us in playoff contention).

The WFAN signal kept fading in and out until about Exit 8 on the Turnpike. As soon as I got home, I got thru to late-night DJ Steve Somers on the air by phone and asked him: "Given the rotten weather, if you were me, would you bother to attend the game?" His answer was that indeed he would, and indeed I did. (The afternoon game was delayed until 8 pm, but - protected from the rain under an overhang in the stands - I got to catch an AZ Cardinal game - It could have been via tv, but I don't think the Watchman had been invented yet - more likely it was via portable radio).

Many months later -driving to a client, - I got to hear the official change-over of WFAN from 1050 AM to the powerful clear channel signal at 660 AM that used to be WNBC's. A tiny sliver of personal sports-radio history. (I wonder whatever happened to "Ely from Westchester").

Jeff, Tuckahoe was and is a village, as is Bronxville. Both are in the Town of Eastchester. For what it's worth, the town has three separate school systems, three police forces, but one fire department. In a couple of years the town (Eastchester) will be 350 years old. And it's claim to fame is that it's the birthplace of the Bill of Rights.

Great stuff guys! Yes, Mike can definitely be condescending... However, the all-around sports knowledge he and The Dog possess is truly unmatched - and honestly, what I miss most out here in the Valley... Guys like Gambo, Burns, Bickley, Jurecki, Wolf, Doug and anyone else that gets tossed out there are all virtual hacks compared to guys like Mike and The Dog.
And Jeff - I LOVED Steve Somers!! His late-night "Schmooz" was the best!!! What a unique character he was...

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
82CardsGrad, Steve Somers is still on the FAN, from 6:30 to 11:00 PM. And he hasn't changed. A very likeable guy. But he talks too much Mets for my liking.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
82CardsGrad, Steve Somers is still on the FAN, from 6:30 to 11:00 PM. And he hasn't changed. A very likeable guy. But he talks too much Mets for my liking.

That's great Garth... Yes, the only thing that bugged me about Somers was that he was a Mets fan.
Man I really miss those days... And I loved the cast of characters that routinely called into the station. Vinny from Voorhees... Doris from Rego Park. Eli from Westchester... and so many more. What an amazing period of time.
I see you're from Scarsdale. I went to college with a girl from Scarsdale... Not sure of your age, but we graduated school in 1986. I know she has since married and moved to California. Her name was/is Amy Alterman.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's great Garth... Yes, the only thing that bugged me about Somers was that he was a Mets fan.
Man I really miss those days... And I loved the cast of characters that routinely called into the station. Vinny from Voorhees... Doris from Rego Park. Eli from Westchester... and so many more. What an amazing period of time.
I see you're from Scarsdale. I went to college with a girl from Scarsdale... Not sure of your age, but we graduated school in 1986. I know she has since married and moved to California. Her name was/is Amy Alterman.
I liked the dismissive manner in which Somers would refer to the LI hockey team as "The Icelanders."

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
He could be so sharp, but in the kindest, respectful way... He is the Schmoozer after all!! ;)

I like the Schoomzer as well. I was never a big fan of the Sweater though. Russ Salzberg was tough to listen to.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of athletes and team guys. I enjoy when Darren Hall, Jared Dudley, etc. call the show.

I was not thinking of when guys like us call in.

I can 100% agree with you on that. I like hearing interviews. I don't like hearing hosts letting their listeners fill 30 minutes of awkward content because they didn't prep well enough to carry the entire the show.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can 100% agree with you on that. I like hearing interviews. I don't like hearing hosts letting their listeners fill 30 minutes of awkward content because they didn't prep well enough to carry the entire the show.
It's probably a local thing - the anncrs get hung up on one topic and won't let go of it for 2 or 3 hours. That might be OK if the topic was Cardinal Pass Blocking Woes, but in NYC we were getting All Tebow All the Time (with an occasional break to allow Rex Ryan to comment on today's weather).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asher will be filling in for Cesmat on pros2preps.com at noon, and then co-hosting with Jurecki at 2PM on 910.

AzCardzFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I heard Doug from 620 say something about them going back to the mornings yesterday on my way home. Anybody else hear this or was there an announcement that I missed?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought I heard Doug from 620 say something about them going back to the mornings yesterday on my way home. Anybody else hear this or was there an announcement that I missed?

Yes, you missed the earlier discussion. Doug and Wolf are moving to 6-10, Dan Bickley is moving to KTAR and will do a show with Vince Marotta from noon - 2pm and Gambo and Burns are moving to afternoon. This all starts on July 29th.